Ezekiel cried "Dems Dry Bones" warning pic heavy

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
Cowdiddly

Ezekiel cried "Dems Dry Bones" warning pic heavy

Post by Cowdiddly »

DSCF0273.JPG
Yes Ezekiel cried. Cried because Dem bones is so dang dry half of dem tings cracked. ::tear:: L to R
a small brown 445 had to dig, it was in my tackle box,
a redbone 424 complete with complementary crack kinda hard to find in any shape, not many people picked a dinky blade 426
a pocket worn buffalo stamped long spey 746 punch another that does not exactly grow on trees.
a nice 741 Muskrat bought from board member Cato. Thanks Cate.
a super nice buffalo stamped 745 Punch Stockman
and finaly a Redbone 742 with a concave ground spey and a honkin Sabre ground.

The Rodeo is still missing two cowboys. :( But has a muskrat tail rider to wrangle up the strays ::super_happy::

In search of the elusive buffalo. I got the first one and thought someone had scratched a buffalo head on the backside tang of the main blade. Got another one and its almost like new and darn if that buffalo head showed back up. I believe this to be a transition type stamp from the rename from Western States to Western. I seen one other knife that had a buffalo head stamp and it actually said Western Bolder Colo on the front and Western states cutlery on the back with the buffalo stamp. I knew W. States eched buffalos on blades but never seen the stamp until then. I had an old price guide that said Western started stamping the model numbers on their knives in 1954, The company changed names in 1951 and according to the 1975 Western catalog they quit using bone on their knives in 1961. So all these are pre 61 and Im calling these 2 buffalos 1951-53. They both don't have sheilds either. Every time I think I got these figured out, something shows up and ruins the whole story. But,Thats my story and Im stickin to it.

And the last picture is for the Patriotic,Eat your heart out China, you will never be these on your best day. Made in U.S.A.
Attachments
DSCF0270.JPG
DSCF0272.JPG
DSCF0271.JPG
DSCF0275.JPG
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Ezekiel cried "Dems Dry Bones" warning pic heavy

Post by Colonel26 »

Very nice! I have a little bone 424. Real nice knives.

You got my heart a going with the 745 & 746. I need those two in bone to complete my 74x set. I have the bone 741 muskrat and the three bladed bone handled 742, 743, 744. Some of my all time favorites.

You have a very nice collection.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Cowdiddly

Post by Cowdiddly »

Yes, and you have the 743 and 744 I'm missing. Between the two of us we might make a Rodeo yet.
The long spey 746 and 743s seem like the hardest to come by in any kind of decent shape. These little cowpokes went to work for a living.

Let me know when you give up looking... I hear you like Case, just so happens.............. lol
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Cowdiddly wrote:Yes, and you have the 743 and 744 I'm missing. Between the two of us we might make a Rodeo yet.
The long spey 746 and 743s seem like the hardest to come by in any kind of decent shape. These little cowpokes went to work for a living.

Let me know when you give up looking... I hear you like Case, just so happens.............. lol
ROFL. I do like older CASE knives. I just like old Western knives better! Lol

I don't think I'll throw in the towel just yet. That 743 came out of no where all of a sudden like. I have hope the others will too.

Between the two of us we have a decent little set lol.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Cowdiddly

Post by Cowdiddly »

lol, Yea I'm not a jealous guy at all, I hope you get em, and you will. I think everyone should get what they want and deserve in life. I actually have a 744, is just not too photogenic, more of just a place holder.

As for Case, yes I like the older Case, I have a few, they are a little softer. I like from say around Redbone and back but I still like these way better. Put it this way, I could trade a Case or maybe 4-5, but I really don't like partin wid me Ole Westerns.

And. I'm patient, Ill wait until you see that Shaweet Peachseed Jiggumbottom bone Honky Tonker you can't live without and need to raise some money. Ill be circling like an ole Buzzard waitin for sumptin ta die......SCKWAWK. HA. Kidding- hang on to em for life, your kids will enjoy them.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Lol. Yeah I have a couple of place holders too. Seems pretty common with older Westerns. That's alright though. Gives me a good excuse to pack em.
Robert E. Lee
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Good collection of Westen' s.
Keep Near the Cross.

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”