The Western Barlow

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
FRJ

Re: The Western Barlow

Post by FRJ »

Here's another old Western Barlow. I forgot to get picts of the tang.
Curved Western States over Boulder.
Attachments
DSCN1033.JPG
DSCN1036.JPG
DSCN1041.JPG
DSCN1042.JPG
Joe
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Oh man Joe! I like that one a lot!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Western must not have been sold as much in other parts of the country early in the 1900's as it was in the midwest and central north. I started out collecting Western fixed (my first hunting knife as a kid was a Western L28, still have it) and when I started into folders, most of them were Westerns including a number of Barlows. I just thought they were all over the country. Someday I'll have to try to group them for a picture, but they are all over in different safes and display cases. ___Dave
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Colonel. It's got "old timey" all over it.

Dave, I sure would like to see pictures of your knives if you can take a day off for a photo shoot. :lol:
Joe
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

djknife13 wrote:Western must not have been sold as much in other parts of the country early in the 1900's as it was in the midwest and central north. I started out collecting Western fixed (my first hunting knife as a kid was a Western L28, still have it) and when I started into folders, most of them were Westerns including a number of Barlows. I just thought they were all over the country. Someday I'll have to try to group them for a picture, but they are all over in different safes and display cases. ___Dave
Dave, no one here had ever heard of them. I'm the only one in these parts that I know of who collects them. Growing up here it was Case, Eye Brand, and all them other off brand cheap knives.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Years ago two brothers from the Twin Cities used to gather all the local stuff from around here including Westerns and Marshall Wells and haul them down south and trade for early English stuff that was then considered gaudy, with the horse and alligator guards, and the Bowies that were considered too large and cumbersome to be a useful knife. You wouldn't believe that collection. You see some of it some of our reference books. He told me he couldn't hardly give the stuff away that he traded for the stuff he and his brother wanted. ___Dave
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Western 822
Attachments
20160403_152532.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

::tu:: Them Western barlows just say workingmans knife 8)
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice one, David. ::tu::

The Barlows are short but stout.
Joe
wlf

Post by wlf »

Isn't it fascinating how the cheaper sawcut, maybe ebony handles that were on the old knives,now suit the replicas and make them very desirable.

I think authenticity goes a long way,'cause the golden age knives were about as good as it could get.

Great knives fellas.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

wlf wrote:Isn't it fascinating how the cheaper sawcut, maybe ebony handles that were on the old knives,now suit the replicas and make them very desirable.

I think authenticity goes a long way,'cause the golden age knives were about as good as it could get.

Great knives fellas.
It's so true Lyle.
Not to take anything from our mentors from across the pond but the genius and astute inventiveness of good old American knife pattern work knives will stand the test of time. They are second to none.
Joe
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I will start looking for them.. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i238/ ... 7354_n.jpg
Found and Cleaned it up. It appeared to never been used just stored and let rust.
Keep Near the Cross.
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

I just found this Western USA yesterday. One of the first things I noticed about it is the dull grey finish on the blades. Before I buff it out I was wondering if it is supposed to look like this. It seems to be pretty uniform in color. Looking at the other knives in this thread, they're all kind of grey but with the uneven look you expect with age on a carbon steel blade. Thanks
Bruce
Attachments
IMG_4666.JPG
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

When you say the word "buff" you make a lot of us old collectors shutter. I love to see those old knives, maybe cleaned up a little with metal polish and a number 2 pencil and the joint cleaned out with a little oil, but the beautiful, well earned marks on the old knife left. An old workhorse just don't look right if you weave his mane in pony tails and ribbons.___Dave
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::tu::
djknife13 wrote:When you say the word "buff" you make a lot of us old collectors shutter. I love to see those old knives, maybe cleaned up a little with metal polish and a number 2 pencil and the joint cleaned out with a little oil, but the beautiful, well earned marks on the old knife left. An old workhorse just don't look right if you weave his mane in pony tails and ribbons.___Dave
Robert E. Lee
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

::clapping:: ::clapping::

Can't argue with that logic!
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

I usually don't do much more than blow the dust off old knives. I prefer the honest wear to a shiny new knife, but this knife is barely used and never sharpened so I was wondering about the grey surface, and how it got there.
Bruce
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Bruce, You've got a great old knife there.
The grey is undoubtedly from age and will evolve in appearance with use.
Buffing would be too dramatic.
Joe
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Just catchin' up on my readin' and noticed Bruce's "new" Western Barlow. Looks like she has full blades and has been hidin' in a corner waitin' for him to find her. She looks great just like she is! Sprucing up an old knife reminds me of folks my age and older, that try to look younger by changing their hair color, both men and women, it just ain't natural, long live patina and gray hair. ::nod::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

I agree with you tree farmer. Iam not as old as others here. I do have some gray hair and I earned every one. As for knives I have some that have been buffed and I wish that they hadn't. It is a fact that shine sells and sells for high dollar. I didn't mind a few years ago if a knife was buffed but I frown on it now.

Monte
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

I can see that "buff" was a poor choice of words. I learned the hard way, a long time ago, not to over-clean stuff (old fishing reels). I just wondered about this one because the patina is so uniform that it almost looks like it was applied. I suppose if I ever get the urge to buff a knife I could start with this one, but it would be kinda' like puttin' lipstick on a pig.
Bruce
Attachments
DSC_0003-001.JPG
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Berryb wrote:I can see that "buff" was a poor choice of words. I learned the hard way, a long time ago, not to over-clean stuff (old fishing reels). I just wondered about this one because the patina is so uniform that it almost looks like it was applied. I suppose if I ever get the urge to buff a knife I could start with this one, but it would be kinda' like puttin' lipstick on a pig.
Bruce
Shoot, that one's just now broke in good.
Robert E. Lee
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Them Old Timers can take just about anything.
Joe
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Bruce,
Clean that old gal up and make that broken clip into a Wharncliffe lookin' blade and put her to work! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”