The Western Barlow

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
FRJ

Re: The Western Barlow

Post by FRJ »

wlf wrote:Isn't it fascinating how the cheaper sawcut, maybe ebony handles that were on the old knives,now suit the replicas and make them very desirable.

I think authenticity goes a long way,'cause the golden age knives were about as good as it could get.

Great knives fellas.
It's so true Lyle.
Not to take anything from our mentors from across the pond but the genius and astute inventiveness of good old American knife pattern work knives will stand the test of time. They are second to none.
Joe
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I will start looking for them.. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i238/ ... 7354_n.jpg
Found and Cleaned it up. It appeared to never been used just stored and let rust.
Keep Near the Cross.
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

I just found this Western USA yesterday. One of the first things I noticed about it is the dull grey finish on the blades. Before I buff it out I was wondering if it is supposed to look like this. It seems to be pretty uniform in color. Looking at the other knives in this thread, they're all kind of grey but with the uneven look you expect with age on a carbon steel blade. Thanks
Bruce
Attachments
IMG_4666.JPG
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

When you say the word "buff" you make a lot of us old collectors shutter. I love to see those old knives, maybe cleaned up a little with metal polish and a number 2 pencil and the joint cleaned out with a little oil, but the beautiful, well earned marks on the old knife left. An old workhorse just don't look right if you weave his mane in pony tails and ribbons.___Dave
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::tu::
djknife13 wrote:When you say the word "buff" you make a lot of us old collectors shutter. I love to see those old knives, maybe cleaned up a little with metal polish and a number 2 pencil and the joint cleaned out with a little oil, but the beautiful, well earned marks on the old knife left. An old workhorse just don't look right if you weave his mane in pony tails and ribbons.___Dave
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

::clapping:: ::clapping::

Can't argue with that logic!
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

I usually don't do much more than blow the dust off old knives. I prefer the honest wear to a shiny new knife, but this knife is barely used and never sharpened so I was wondering about the grey surface, and how it got there.
Bruce
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Bruce, You've got a great old knife there.
The grey is undoubtedly from age and will evolve in appearance with use.
Buffing would be too dramatic.
Joe
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Just catchin' up on my readin' and noticed Bruce's "new" Western Barlow. Looks like she has full blades and has been hidin' in a corner waitin' for him to find her. She looks great just like she is! Sprucing up an old knife reminds me of folks my age and older, that try to look younger by changing their hair color, both men and women, it just ain't natural, long live patina and gray hair. ::nod::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

I agree with you tree farmer. Iam not as old as others here. I do have some gray hair and I earned every one. As for knives I have some that have been buffed and I wish that they hadn't. It is a fact that shine sells and sells for high dollar. I didn't mind a few years ago if a knife was buffed but I frown on it now.

Monte
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

I can see that "buff" was a poor choice of words. I learned the hard way, a long time ago, not to over-clean stuff (old fishing reels). I just wondered about this one because the patina is so uniform that it almost looks like it was applied. I suppose if I ever get the urge to buff a knife I could start with this one, but it would be kinda' like puttin' lipstick on a pig.
Bruce
Attachments
DSC_0003-001.JPG
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Berryb wrote:I can see that "buff" was a poor choice of words. I learned the hard way, a long time ago, not to over-clean stuff (old fishing reels). I just wondered about this one because the patina is so uniform that it almost looks like it was applied. I suppose if I ever get the urge to buff a knife I could start with this one, but it would be kinda' like puttin' lipstick on a pig.
Bruce
Shoot, that one's just now broke in good.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Them Old Timers can take just about anything.
Joe
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Bruce,
Clean that old gal up and make that broken clip into a Wharncliffe lookin' blade and put her to work! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

I think it might be a bit of a project, one spring is half gone, the other is so soft you can hardly tell it's there. I kinda thought a picture of a rusty Old Timer would be an appropriate avatar for me though.
Bruce
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I love my Western Barlow
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

822 Western Barlow a solid knife.
Keep Near the Cross.
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

FRJ wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:54 am Who knew?
I was surprised to see one on ebay, and more surprised to win the auction.
I never thought of Western and Barlow together. Never seen one.
This is a nice knife even if the blades are a bit thin.
Great font on the bolster and a nice patina delivere
IMG_2688.jpeg
Western states Barlow
Western states Barlow
d right to my door.
Just makes me want to grin. ::super_happy::
From the knife makers who went west page 58.
My only W.S. Barlow.It has seen a lot of use and looks like it may have been over buffed at some time .
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thomasg wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:42 am My only W.S. Barlow.
Nice knife and a great book. ::nod::
I live very close to Northfield.
Joe
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

FRJ wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:22 am
Thomasg wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:42 am My only W.S. Barlow.
Nice knife and a great book. ::nod::
I live very close to Northfield.
You are fortunate to live close to some great American knife history.I enjoyed the pictures you shared on your visit to the old northfield factory site as well as all the historic information shared .
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Thomasg, I'm glad you enjoyed that post and that you found it. ::tu::
Joe
Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound »

I like the Barlow shape but have only owned them in cheap knives. It was a go to when I was a kid, they were inexpensive and easy to find at the local hardware shop. I don't think I ever paid more than a few bucks for one. They were kind of disposable so I abused them till they broke or my little brother stole them. My good knives were either carried or locked up safe and sound in a box in my closet.

Well a short time ago, I decided I wanted a quality vintage Barlow for my rotation pile. Then I found this thread and it was a match made in heaven, as I am a big Western fan and wanted a good Barlow...

After a lot of looking and more $$ than I should have spent, this came in the mail this weekend. It seems to be really well built, has a nice heft to it, the blades both snap strongly and there is no wobble or looseness. It came to me in very sharp condition and over all fine shape. Its gonna go into my everyday rotation.
Attachments
20231107_140905.jpg
20231107_140913.jpg
20231107_140929.jpg
20231107_140938.jpg
"...Boys, those pocket knives are nice...but someday when you have grown to be men, you'll own a Case like this one here..."
Quote: My 4th grade teacher, Mr. Shipman
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Bloodhound wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:22 pm I like the Barlow shape but have only owned them in cheap knives. It was a go to when I was a kid, they were inexpensive and easy to find at the local hardware shop. I don't think I ever paid more than a few bucks for one. They were kind of disposable so I abused them till they broke or my little brother stole them. My good knives were either carried or locked up safe and sound in a box in my closet.

Well a short time ago, I decided I wanted a quality vintage Barlow for my rotation pile. Then I found this thread and it was a match made in heaven, as I am a big Western fan and wanted a good Barlow...

After a lot of looking and more $$ than I should have spent, this came in the mail this weekend. It seems to be really well built, has a nice heft to it, the blades both snap strongly and there is no wobble or looseness. It came to me in very sharp condition and over all fine shape. Its gonna go into my everyday rotation.
Looks like a great knife! I see few Westerns in this part of the country, and I don't think that I have ever seen a Western Barlow in person. ::tu::
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound »

Reverand wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:17 pm
Bloodhound wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:22 pm I like the Barlow shape but have only owned them in cheap knives. It was a go to when I was a kid, they were inexpensive and easy to find at the local hardware shop. I don't think I ever paid more than a few bucks for one. They were kind of disposable so I abused them till they broke or my little brother stole them. My good knives were either carried or locked up safe and sound in a box in my closet.

Looks like a great knife! I see few Westerns in this part of the country, and I don't think that I have ever seen a Western Barlow in person. ::tu::
This is the first Western Barlow I have ever seen in person as well.

Its funny, I have been a Colorado guy most of my life, born in the Denver metro area...and I live now just about 60 Miles from Boulder, where this knife was made.

But I got it from a dealer in Knoxville, Tennessee...I think he should have given me a discount because I was bringing the knife back home to Colorado. Alas there was no such consideration and I paid full asking price. But after a good wipedown, this Barlow is in even better condition than I first thought. So I will give it a good home.
"...Boys, those pocket knives are nice...but someday when you have grown to be men, you'll own a Case like this one here..."
Quote: My 4th grade teacher, Mr. Shipman

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”