Quality of Western Carbon Steel?

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
pinnah

Quality of Western Carbon Steel?

Post by pinnah »

How did the quality of Western's carbon steel stack up to their competitors during the day? e.g. Marbles, Shrade, Case, others?

How would is stack up to today's carbon or chrome-vanadium steels?
Dave "Pinnah" Mann, Bahston, MA
Dave's Nordic Backcountry Skiing Page
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Quality of Western Carbon Steel?

Post by garddogg56 »

As good as any,I have a w39 and a L48ABG,GREAT for skining deer.
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

They take an edge as well as my pre 1973 Schrades .
Keep Near the Cross.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I love carbon steel and most people know of my bias for Schrade knives, however, when it comes to outstanding carbon steel blades, it is my opinion that Western’s carbon steel was better than most other companies.
I don’t think any company makes a better carbon steel knife than those made by Western. Schrade Cut Co and some of the earlier Schrade Walden knives were close to the sharpness and edge retention that Western carbon steel is noted for, as well as some other companies such as Camillus (pre-1970 roughly).

It seems to me that the quality and edge retention of most American made carbon steel knives changed somewhere in the 1970s or early 1980s. Of course this is the time when stainless steel was beginning to dominate the cutlery marketplace. Perhaps steel companies somehow changed the formula for their carbon steel or perhaps the cutlery companies changed their heat treatment, but the sharpness and the edge retention of knives made after roughly 1980 does not seem to be as good as the earlier steel. I base this on the knives on my own carbon steel knives that I use and the knives I have seen and repaired over the years.

In my opinion, the Western knives I have owned and seen made prior to about 1985 were some of the best carbon steel knives I know of. I think it was 1985 or 1986 that Coleman (the lantern people) purchase Western knives. In my opinion the quality of Western carbon steel knives took a hit from which they never recovered. But the earlier carbon steel Western knives are, in my opinion, some of the best carbon steel knives ever made.

That is my 2¢ worth. :mrgreen:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Good Lord, Dale. That was more like a buck and a half. :mrgreen: ::poke::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

You are right Jerry, (the guy who posts more than I do), ::poke::

Here is your $1.48 change...... :mrgreen:

Or do you owe me $1.48? ::hmm::

::watching_you::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

orvet wrote:You are right Jerry, (the guy who posts more than I do), ::poke::

Here is your $1.48 change...... :mrgreen:

Or do you owe me $1.48? ::hmm::

::watching_you::
We owe you a big thank you . Your expert knowledge affirms my own conclusions based upon my and my family's experiences the past 75 years. Dad swears all brands of American made Knifes started going down in quality after 1973 when Scrade dropped the Walden off their Knifes.
Keep Near the Cross.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Let me say.......I'm working my way up to the novice level in blade steel performance.

I have a few options when I carry a fixed blade and I always, always carry my broken tip, paracord handled Western because it's
soooooooooo dang sharp. The edge is ahead of the others I have.
Attachments
20170211_131212.jpg
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Western's go-to steel in the pre-Coleman days was a 1095CV very similar to Kabar's 1095CV and Camillus' 0179-6C.

Western was one of the first, if not the first major cutlery company to include a cryogenic cycle into their heat treatment quenching process. The earliest documented use of cryo at Western that I know of is in their 1975 catalog, but they had already been doing it for several years by that time. This really improved the performance of their knives.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

It seems y'all are talking about fixed blades, I think, ::shrug:: So do the Western folders have the same good qualities in their blades as the ones mentioned?
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

This discussion is making me curious what Harvey (H. N.) Platts used for steel and tempering when he started Western after leaving Case and moving to Colorado for health reasons (he had grinder's consumption). Having been half owner of Case he had to know all the Case suppliers and processes. ::hmm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

treefarmer wrote:It seems y'all are talking about fixed blades, I think, ::shrug:: So do the Western folders have the same good qualities in their blades as the ones mentioned?
Treefarmer
As I seldom stray into the world of folding knives beyond the utilitarian use of them, any thing I say should be taken with a block of salt...

But...

I would think that the HT / Tempering processes would have been the same whether the blade in question was a fixed blade or folder blade, assuming the steel types used were the same across the board. I can't see how they would have different processes for the same steels.

Obviously, the process for any SS used would have been different from that used for 1095, but the only process differences might have been soak times during HTing for thin folder blades vs W49 / L46-8 blades.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Mumbleypeg wrote:This discussion is making me curious what Harvey (H. N.) Platts used for steel and tempering when he started Western after leaving Case and moving to Colorado for health reasons (he had grinder's consumption). Having been half owner of Case he had to know all the Case suppliers and processes. ::hmm::

Ken
Early on (1911 to 1918), Western's steels and processes were IDENTICAL to Case's as Case was making the knives Western was selling. W.R. Case paid off H.N.'s half of CASE Knives by making knives for Western States Cutlery.

After Western started making their own knives in 1919, I would suspect that Western used the same steels that Case used as he would have had contact with the same suppliers Case was using.

H.N.'s son, Harlow, had taken a year or so of metallography classes in the UK following his service in WW2. Upon Harlow's return to Boulder, I suspect that Western used what H.N. had implemented at Case during his years their and "tweeked" the processes based on the lastest UK metallographic / metallurgic processes being taught at the University of Sheffield post-WW1.

Harlow's interest in metallography and metallurgy probably drove Western's process modifications over the years.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Makes complete sense. While at Case, Platts ran the Case factory operations while Russ Case ran sales operations, so it's logical that Platts would have implemented what he knew and had done at Case, at least initially.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

zzyzzogeton wrote:Western's go-to steel in the pre-Coleman days was a 1095CV very similar to Kabar's 1095CV and Camillus' 0179-6C.

Western was one of the first, if not the first major cutlery company to include a cryogenic cycle into their heat treatment quenching process. The earliest documented use of cryo at Western that I know of is in their 1975 catalog, but they had already been doing it for several years by that time. This really improved the performance of their knives.
ZZ, you beat me to it, I was going to mention the possibility of a cryogenic treatment for their 1095 high carbon blades. If all else is the same, it will "enhance" the heat treatment of the blades. For you that don't know what that is, it is a soaking of the blades in liquid nitrogen (about -350 degrees) after heat treating and tempering. I believe that would aid in the edge holding ability of the blades. Stainless steel is a whole different ball game. ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”