Western Tang Stamps

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Western Tang Stamps

Post by TripleF »

Is this from 1928- 1931, 0r 1935 - 1950 ?

It's the BOWIE knife:
Attachments
lot7.12.13 023.JPG
lot7.12.13 024.JPG
lot7.12.13 028.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

Um, neither. The tang stamp dating estimates don't apply to this model.

The WWII-era version had a straight crossguard. Per Western, this knife was introduced as a commercial product in 1964. Based on examples of datable purchases, the mark on your knife was in use from '64-probably sometime in '66. Examples of the next stamp in the sequence (WESTERN/BOWIE/USA) were purchased as early as April 1967.

The sheath seems to be a later example, though it might be original to the knife. The sheath pivot was first cataloged in 1968. From examples of datable purchases, this sheath may have actually reached the market prior to August 1967, but the earliest example I'm aware of can be documented to that month and year.

So you have a nice example of the first version of the W-49 bowie; the sheath may be original or a replacement. It is a wonderful piece of kit, but dates to '64 at the earliest.

Jim
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Excellent information, Jim; we all can thank you.
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

I hope it is helpful. I need to get in gear and get a synthesis of the information I've gathered on the W49 model posted in one block. With multiple data sources (published information, some examples where the purchases can be dated, and notes from interviews with a couple of former Western employees), it should be reasonably accurate. The big hangup is going to be gathering photos of examples: I'm too broke right now to go out and buy all the examples! :lol:
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Thanks coffeecup. You inspired me to confirm or deny your statements.

Based on a couple other knife forum topics I am agree with your dating, AND I believe this was the first bowie knife produced with this tang stamp....I don't mean it was the first knife off the line, rather this was the original tang stamping used on the blade.
Western
Boulder, Colo USA

BOWIE
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

Yeah, that is the first tang stamp used when the knife was introduced as a commercial product. Rivet size--"small" relative to later rivets--is another clue that it is an early knife.

On the rare later Westerns done without bifurcated tangs (like the W49), the tang stamp rules for dating don't apply. It almost looks like we'll have to work out model- or pattern-specific dating guidelines.

Jim
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

coffeecup :
Hi Jim, Although not a bowie interesting anyway. Nice stamp of a West-Cut. My question is it does not have the split tang. Is it before the patent or a newer example.
I don't know if it will help but I also gave a close up of the pommel rivet.
moss
Attachments
PICT0001 (2) (800x376).jpg
PICT0002 (2).JPG
PICT0003 (2) (800x600).jpg
PICT0004 (2) (800x379).jpg
PICT0005 (2) (800x204).jpg
PICT0006 (2) (800x599).jpg
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

Moss, my hunch is that your knife was an SFO made for Western. Definitely not a split tang, but the knife definitely post-dates adoption of the split-tang construction. (Aside from the tang stamp, look at the pommel: they adopted that form after the split-tang. Some of the early split-tang knives still have the earlier "mushroom" pommel.)

Western was pretty-heavily committed to the split tang, doing a knife like this would have required extra work, so I don't think it was done in-house. From what I've been told by a couple of guys who worked for Western, they were still doing this occasionally as late as the 1970s, but I've never seen one. I wonder who made it--Camillus?
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Back again;
Jim, here is I think an example of the next model you spoke of a couple of posts back.
After putting 2 and 2 together I think the original leather may have rotted in the South Viet Nam jungle and a small Red fox offered his hide as a repair for the sheath in the field. Check the thinness of the skin (that is a common dental pick for size).The thickness would to me indicate adapting to live in a hot humid clime. Sheath has the small rivet you referred too. The water hole is present in the lower shot. Could all this rhetoric be viable or not. For anyone who may not know I have added a pic of a later w 49 handle with the large rivets.
moss
Attachments
PICT0001 (800x425).jpg
PICT0002 (800x600).jpg
PICT0003 (800x600).jpg
PICT0004 (800x600).jpg
PICT0005 (800x600).jpg
PICT0006 (800x600).jpg
PICT0007 (774x800).jpg
PICT0008.JPG
PICT0001 (800x400).jpg
tygr

Post by tygr »

I'm brand new to the forums and I'd love it if someone could help me identify my Western knives; age, model, style, etc. I really know nothing about knives in general, so anything would be helpful.

I don't have an image of the imprint on the tangs right now, but I do know they say

WESTERN
Boulder, Colo
Pat'd Made in USA

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
2014-09-11 18.56.55.jpg
2014-09-11 18.57.16.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Your very nice set is shown in the 1959/1960 catalog as a "twin set," with models P48A (the larger) and P28 (the smaller), with red, ivory or yellow "tenite" (celluloid) handles. These sets were also sold with bone or leather-stacked handles. Your set is considered to be a very desirable collectible. If you give it to me, I will tell all my friends that you are a very nice guy. Barring that unlikely scenario, if I were you, I would not use those knives. I would keep them in dark, airy, cool area to protect the celluloid, and lightly oil the steel. Knives in the same general pattern, but less collectible, can be had to use, at a very reasonable price. Not these!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's a - Western States - Boulder Colo. - Made in USA
4 1/2"
Attachments
IMG_5375.JPG
IMG_5377.JPG
IMG_5380.JPG
Joe
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Have dug out my camera after a long rest. Photo taking seems to take my mind from my departed wife. Slipped quietly into a better place this past Wednesday afternoon. I am not saying this to turn this into a post for platitudes.
These two are I think pretty good examples of old and newer. The photos will explain better than I can.
moss
Attachments
PICT0002.JPG
PICT0001.JPG
PICT0004.JPG
PICT0005.JPG
PICT0003.JPG
PICT0008.JPG
PICT0005.JPG
PICT0006.JPG
PICT0009.JPG
BurkinshawFan

Post by BurkinshawFan »

Have an idea on the year of that Western? My 652 has the same exact tang stamp.
trail wrote:Here are two of the three stamps on my Western stockman. The third stamp, on the reverse of the main blade is the model number, 657.
Looking for these knife brands in this order of preference: Burkinshaw, Western, Kabar, Buck, Case, White Stag, Southington and Remington.
Mudrigg

Post by Mudrigg »

Looking for some help to identify the type of knife pictured and if possible maybe an approximate value. I believe it is the original case and I woul say the condition is fairly good for its approximate age. Anyone have any ideas? I do not see any model number or type in it other than the Western stamp, Boulder Colorado And the Pat'd Made in USA stamps.

Thank you in advance for any insight.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I believe you will find that nice hunting knife to be an L-46-6 (pattern 46, six inch blade, L for 'leather stacked handle). Sold as this consumer variation after WWII and on into the 60s and maybe the 70s. It was sold in a similar form in the 1930s, then in an altered form as a military knife during the war, with three different blade lengths. Your sheath appears to be original. Very nice.
Mudrigg

Post by Mudrigg »

Great information. Thank you! Would you have an approximate value on something like this?
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Mudrigg wrote: Would you have an approximate value on something like this?
Zero to fifty dollars is my guess. Not a hot item but a wonderful user or you could befriend a boy (or girl). There are tens of thousands of leather stacked handles Westerns on ebay over the years. They are mostly very slow. As some other forumites would attest, they have very good steel.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Very nice old Western, an one of my favorite Western fixed blades.

TR hit the nail on the head. Looking at eBay completed listings isnyojr best bet for finding the value. Western fixed blade values are hard for me to pin down. Sometimes they go for a pitance, often for what I think are stupid prices, and many times in the middle.

I guess it depends on who's wanting it on a particular day.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Mudrigg

Post by Mudrigg »

Perfect. Thanks for the info. I'm going to a gun range swap meet this week and if I can get 40-50 on it it sounds like that might be a good price for it. If not I'll just pack it away for another 20 years or until I go camping. 8-)
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, Any info will be appreciated as I am looking for some answers.
I dont know the History very well between Western & Case and I am NOT a Western Expert. I bought this knife and thought it was a Western States knife. I opened the master blade and seen it said "Westaco" stamped,,,I said oh well thats cool. I then opened the small blade and Wow what a surprise,,, it says Standard knife Co. I immediately went to my Goins book to see a reference. I did find that Standard knife Co knives were made by Different company's according to Goins. I am hoping someone can shed some light for me.
Kind Regards & Thanks in advance
Mark
Attachments
100_2412.JPG
100_2417.JPG
100_2422.JPG
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
Steve1973

Post by Steve1973 »

Here is mine, I inherited it from my grandfather it was something he used everyday. Dont know much about it or what year it is.
Attachments
20180321_222212.jpg
20180321_222209.jpg
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

With the model number (L36) stamped into the pile side ricasso, this puts your knife between as being made between 1955 and 1967.

1955 was the first year Western stamped model numbers on the knives. In 1968, all model numbers shifted to the guards.

A couple of members here on AAPK have L39s that are guard marked that they state they received via S&H Green Stamps in the late 50s.
jxr1197
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jxr1197 »

I came here hoping to date the tang stamp of a Westaco that came to me by way of a pile-o-knives purchase but there's no mention of it here or in Goins. Leaving a pic for posterity -
Westaco.jpg
- Jason
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

The WESTACO line initially shows up in the 1931 catalogs as a lower cost alternative to the Western States line of knives. One of those Great Depression Era things. The knives were made of the same materials and with the same care by the same people, just marketed differently and at a lower price.

TKMWWW states that the WESTACO line came out and then Mr. Platts developed the double/split tang fixed blade construction method. Since he applied for the patent in 1931, this would imply that the WESTACO line started maybe as early as 1928 to 1930. I've never seen any advertising from that era to corroborate that thought, though.

So, generally, I put these as 1931 to 1941 BUT........ your's has a "MADE IN USA" line under the WESTACO stamp. One of my rules of thumb that I use with Westerns is that MADE IN USA usually means "made after WW2". The advertising available for the early post-war period is slim. There was a lot of stuff made between 1945 and 1950, but no catalogs from that era have surfaced. Maybe they never had one, just flyers.

I never ran across an ad for WESTACO knives in the outdoors/sporting magazines that I researched through on the 1930s and 1940s, but if the WESTACO line was the "cheaper" line, the methods of advertising that line would have been via cheaper methods than magazine ads.

So, by known information, yours is 1931 to 1941, but it could be a post-war late 1945 to 1949 knife with that MADE IN USA stamp.

How about starting a new WESTACO knives thread with full pictures of yours. Maybe we can figure out if yours is a 1931-1935 or a 1936-1941 based on handles & blade(s) shape/configuration.

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”