Western Tang Stamps

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
tongueriver

Re: Western Tang Stamps

Post by tongueriver »

Your very nice set is shown in the 1959/1960 catalog as a "twin set," with models P48A (the larger) and P28 (the smaller), with red, ivory or yellow "tenite" (celluloid) handles. These sets were also sold with bone or leather-stacked handles. Your set is considered to be a very desirable collectible. If you give it to me, I will tell all my friends that you are a very nice guy. Barring that unlikely scenario, if I were you, I would not use those knives. I would keep them in dark, airy, cool area to protect the celluloid, and lightly oil the steel. Knives in the same general pattern, but less collectible, can be had to use, at a very reasonable price. Not these!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's a - Western States - Boulder Colo. - Made in USA
4 1/2"
Attachments
IMG_5375.JPG
IMG_5377.JPG
IMG_5380.JPG
Joe
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Have dug out my camera after a long rest. Photo taking seems to take my mind from my departed wife. Slipped quietly into a better place this past Wednesday afternoon. I am not saying this to turn this into a post for platitudes.
These two are I think pretty good examples of old and newer. The photos will explain better than I can.
moss
Attachments
PICT0002.JPG
PICT0001.JPG
PICT0004.JPG
PICT0005.JPG
PICT0003.JPG
PICT0008.JPG
PICT0005.JPG
PICT0006.JPG
PICT0009.JPG
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
BurkinshawFan

Post by BurkinshawFan »

Have an idea on the year of that Western? My 652 has the same exact tang stamp.
trail wrote:Here are two of the three stamps on my Western stockman. The third stamp, on the reverse of the main blade is the model number, 657.
Looking for these knife brands in this order of preference: Burkinshaw, Western, Kabar, Buck, Case, White Stag, Southington and Remington.
Mudrigg

Post by Mudrigg »

Looking for some help to identify the type of knife pictured and if possible maybe an approximate value. I believe it is the original case and I woul say the condition is fairly good for its approximate age. Anyone have any ideas? I do not see any model number or type in it other than the Western stamp, Boulder Colorado And the Pat'd Made in USA stamps.

Thank you in advance for any insight.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I believe you will find that nice hunting knife to be an L-46-6 (pattern 46, six inch blade, L for 'leather stacked handle). Sold as this consumer variation after WWII and on into the 60s and maybe the 70s. It was sold in a similar form in the 1930s, then in an altered form as a military knife during the war, with three different blade lengths. Your sheath appears to be original. Very nice.
Mudrigg

Post by Mudrigg »

Great information. Thank you! Would you have an approximate value on something like this?
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Mudrigg wrote: Would you have an approximate value on something like this?
Zero to fifty dollars is my guess. Not a hot item but a wonderful user or you could befriend a boy (or girl). There are tens of thousands of leather stacked handles Westerns on ebay over the years. They are mostly very slow. As some other forumites would attest, they have very good steel.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Very nice old Western, an one of my favorite Western fixed blades.

TR hit the nail on the head. Looking at eBay completed listings isnyojr best bet for finding the value. Western fixed blade values are hard for me to pin down. Sometimes they go for a pitance, often for what I think are stupid prices, and many times in the middle.

I guess it depends on who's wanting it on a particular day.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Mudrigg

Post by Mudrigg »

Perfect. Thanks for the info. I'm going to a gun range swap meet this week and if I can get 40-50 on it it sounds like that might be a good price for it. If not I'll just pack it away for another 20 years or until I go camping. 8-)
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, Any info will be appreciated as I am looking for some answers.
I dont know the History very well between Western & Case and I am NOT a Western Expert. I bought this knife and thought it was a Western States knife. I opened the master blade and seen it said "Westaco" stamped,,,I said oh well thats cool. I then opened the small blade and Wow what a surprise,,, it says Standard knife Co. I immediately went to my Goins book to see a reference. I did find that Standard knife Co knives were made by Different company's according to Goins. I am hoping someone can shed some light for me.
Kind Regards & Thanks in advance
Mark
Attachments
100_2412.JPG
100_2417.JPG
100_2422.JPG
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
Steve1973

Post by Steve1973 »

Here is mine, I inherited it from my grandfather it was something he used everyday. Dont know much about it or what year it is.
Attachments
20180321_222212.jpg
20180321_222209.jpg
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

With the model number (L36) stamped into the pile side ricasso, this puts your knife between as being made between 1955 and 1967.

1955 was the first year Western stamped model numbers on the knives. In 1968, all model numbers shifted to the guards.

A couple of members here on AAPK have L39s that are guard marked that they state they received via S&H Green Stamps in the late 50s.
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

I came here hoping to date the tang stamp of a Westaco that came to me by way of a pile-o-knives purchase but there's no mention of it here or in Goins. Leaving a pic for posterity -
Westaco.jpg
- Jason
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

The WESTACO line initially shows up in the 1931 catalogs as a lower cost alternative to the Western States line of knives. One of those Great Depression Era things. The knives were made of the same materials and with the same care by the same people, just marketed differently and at a lower price.

TKMWWW states that the WESTACO line came out and then Mr. Platts developed the double/split tang fixed blade construction method. Since he applied for the patent in 1931, this would imply that the WESTACO line started maybe as early as 1928 to 1930. I've never seen any advertising from that era to corroborate that thought, though.

So, generally, I put these as 1931 to 1941 BUT........ your's has a "MADE IN USA" line under the WESTACO stamp. One of my rules of thumb that I use with Westerns is that MADE IN USA usually means "made after WW2". The advertising available for the early post-war period is slim. There was a lot of stuff made between 1945 and 1950, but no catalogs from that era have surfaced. Maybe they never had one, just flyers.

I never ran across an ad for WESTACO knives in the outdoors/sporting magazines that I researched through on the 1930s and 1940s, but if the WESTACO line was the "cheaper" line, the methods of advertising that line would have been via cheaper methods than magazine ads.

So, by known information, yours is 1931 to 1941, but it could be a post-war late 1945 to 1949 knife with that MADE IN USA stamp.

How about starting a new WESTACO knives thread with full pictures of yours. Maybe we can figure out if yours is a 1931-1935 or a 1936-1941 based on handles & blade(s) shape/configuration.
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

zzyzzogeton wrote:The WESTACO line initially shows up in the 1931 catalogs as a lower cost alternative to the Western States line of knives. One of those Great Depression Era things. The knives were made of the same materials and with the same care by the same people, just marketed differently and at a lower price.

TKMWWW states that the WESTACO line came out and then Mr. Platts developed the double/split tang fixed blade construction method. Since he applied for the patent in 1931, this would imply that the WESTACO line started maybe as early as 1928 to 1930. I've never seen any advertising from that era to corroborate that thought, though.

So, generally, I put these as 1931 to 1941 BUT........ your's has a "MADE IN USA" line under the WESTACO stamp. One of my rules of thumb that I use with Westerns is that MADE IN USA usually means "made after WW2". The advertising available for the early post-war period is slim. There was a lot of stuff made between 1945 and 1950, but no catalogs from that era have surfaced. Maybe they never had one, just flyers.

I never ran across an ad for WESTACO knives in the outdoors/sporting magazines that I researched through on the 1930s and 1940s, but if the WESTACO line was the "cheaper" line, the methods of advertising that line would have been via cheaper methods than magazine ads.

So, by known information, yours is 1931 to 1941, but it could be a post-war late 1945 to 1949 knife with that MADE IN USA stamp.

How about starting a new WESTACO knives thread with full pictures of yours. Maybe we can figure out if yours is a 1931-1935 or a 1936-1941 based on handles & blade(s) shape/configuration.

zzyzzogeton - thank you for such a wonderfully detailed reply ::tu:: I will take some pics of the knife later and start that new thread.
- Jason
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

Just picked up this Western Black Beauty, F66 stamped on the back of the blade, what is the date range of this knife? 1950's -60's ?
Attachments
P3010918.JPG
P3010920.JPG
P3010921.JPG
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

1954/1955 at the earliest, since that is when Western started putting moidel numbers on their knives. The exact date is hard to pin down because they didn't do it on every model at the exact same time - they had older, unmarked inventory to move before they did another run.

The latest it was made (not sold) would be 1967, as they moved the model stamp to the guard in late 1967/1968, again varying by model. Some model numbers NEVER moved to the guard - the L46-8, and later the W46-8 maintained pile side model numbers through the end of the Coleman-Western era. After Camillus bought the company, all bifurcated tang construction ceased and the W46-8 stamp moved to the mark side.
TheDadInMontana

Post by TheDadInMontana »

Hello I’m looking for information on this western F 39 hunting knife. It was handed down to me from my grandfather. I’m not sure if he was the first owner and original purchaser but I am assuming he was. Also, wondering about the sheath it looks dated with the knife. If anybody could please help me out with any information on this knife it would be appreciated.
Stamp is as follows
Western
Boulder colo
USA
In case you can’t see the pictures clearly

Thank you kindly,
From Montana
IMG_1351.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_1347.jpeg
IMG_1349.jpeg
IMG_1350.jpeg
IMG_1354.jpeg
IMG_1351.jpeg
IMG_1355.jpeg
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

1968 to 1972 for sure.

Guard stamped model numbers began in 1967 for some models (W49 for sure) and by 1968 for all, for sure.

Reference to BOULDER, COLO. in the stamp ended in 1972.
TheDadInMontana

Post by TheDadInMontana »

Thank you
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

Great thread! How about some stamps on non knife items? Here are 3 of mine.
Attachments
IMG_2808.jpeg
IMG_2431.jpeg
IMG_2436.jpeg
IMG_2435.jpeg
IMG_2434.jpeg
IMG_2417.png
IMG_2809.jpeg
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

Robert Mayokok scrimshaw .
Attachments
IMG_2815.png
IMG_2819.jpeg
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

My only western states that still has the blade etching remaining .
Attachments
IMG_2821.jpeg
IMG_2823.jpeg
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

Series 99 ( B). Western states logo on handle .No tang stamps on blade .
Attachments
99B kitchen knife
99B kitchen knife
IMG_2829.png
99B kitchen knife
99B kitchen knife

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”