Black Beauty Date

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
Bloodhound

Black Beauty Date

Post by Bloodhound »

The tang stamp on this Black Beauty doesn't seem to match anything on the charts. Any Idea as to a date range?

20210219_145245.jpg
20210219_145232.jpg
Scott
"...Boys, those pocket knives are nice...but someday when you have grown to be men, you'll own a Case like this one here..."
Quote: My 4th grade teacher, Mr. Shipman
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Black Beauty Date

Post by Colonel26 »

Someone with more precise info will be along shortly I’m sure. But my best guess would be sometime between 1950 and 1961.

Yours is a nice one for sure.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound »

Do you think the sheath is original to the knife? It is a very good fit, but might be in too good condition if its that old...Knife came to me looking like new.
"...Boys, those pocket knives are nice...but someday when you have grown to be men, you'll own a Case like this one here..."
Quote: My 4th grade teacher, Mr. Shipman
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Sorry for missing this one, Bloodhound. Don't know how I missed it.

Where is the model number located on the knife - pile side ricasso or guard? That will tell us the time frame.

The sheath does NOT look to be original, IMO. ALL of the Black Beauty sheaths that I have seen had the oak leaf and acorn pattern stamped on the face.

Western did use sheaths of that style on SOME of their knife models, but they were all BROWN/TAN, that I have seen.

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”