Western States Straight Razors

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
COWPUNCHER

Western States Straight Razors

Post by COWPUNCHER »

Hi Guys I was wondering if there is any interest in Western States Straight Razors? I see a lot of different makes of Razors but have not seen any Western States Razors. Any information you could give me would be welcome. Thanks in advance.
zzyzzogeton

Re: Western States Straight Razors

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Relatively, there are very few Western straight razors that ever come to light. I have 1 somewhere.

The best guess about manufacturing dates on the Westerns is between 1920ish and 1930.

Straight razors WERE NOT in the 1919 catalog reprints. They WERE in the 1921 catalog and then WERE NOT in the 1931 catalog. The 1921 catalog reprint pages of The Knife Makers Who Went West are the only source of information on Western straight razors I know of.

Who made them would be up in the air as well. I would suspect that the razors were actually made by someone else for Western as if Western had invested the time and money in setting up actual straight razor grinding stations, they would not have dropped them so quickly. I have no proof of that hypothesis, just a gut feeling due to how few ever show up.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I had no idea they were made for such a short time. I have an empty box for sale right now on Ebay. If someone had a razor to go with it I'd end the auction and send it to them for free.
Attachments
20181011_201814.jpg
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Also, you have to watch out on the advertising of ANY straight razor advertised as being a Western razor.

Many of them are advertised as such, but the accuracy of the listings is usually lacking. Clear pics of the stamps often show non-Boulder Colo manufacture/sales.

Most of the razors advertised as "Western Cut. Co." or "Western Cutlery Co." are really from Western Barber Supply out of Philadelphia, PA or Western Barber's Supply out of Minneapolis

WESTERN B. S. Co.
over
PHILA PA
over
GERMANY

Western B.S. Co.
over
MINNEAPOLIS MINN
over
M.I. GERMANY

Western Cutlery Co.
over