The Western Barlow

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
Colonel26

Re: The Western Barlow

Postby Colonel26 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:20 pm

::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::tu::

djknife13 wrote:When you say the word "buff" you make a lot of us old collectors shutter. I love to see those old knives, maybe cleaned up a little with metal polish and a number 2 pencil and the joint cleaned out with a little oil, but the beautiful, well earned marks on the old knife left. An old workhorse just don't look right if you weave his mane in pony tails and ribbons.___Dave
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

royal0014

Postby royal0014 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:33 pm

::clapping:: ::clapping::

Can't argue with that logic!
Chris
I'd be better off in a pine box
on a slow train back to Georgia . . . .

Berryb

Postby Berryb » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:15 pm

I usually don't do much more than blow the dust off old knives. I prefer the honest wear to a shiny new knife, but this knife is barely used and never sharpened so I was wondering about the grey surface, and how it got there.
Bruce

FRJ
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby FRJ » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:33 pm

Bruce, You've got a great old knife there.
The grey is undoubtedly from age and will evolve in appearance with use.
Buffing would be too dramatic.
Joe

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby treefarmer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:02 pm

Just catchin' up on my readin' and noticed Bruce's "new" Western Barlow. Looks like she has full blades and has been hidin' in a corner waitin' for him to find her. She looks great just like she is! Sprucing up an old knife reminds me of folks my age and older, that try to look younger by changing their hair color, both men and women, it just ain't natural, long live patina and gray hair. ::nod::
Treefarmer

montemojo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby montemojo » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:38 pm

I agree with you tree farmer. Iam not as old as others here. I do have some gray hair and I earned every one. As for knives I have some that have been buffed and I wish that they hadn't. It is a fact that shine sells and sells for high dollar. I didn't mind a few years ago if a knife was buffed but I frown on it now.

Monte

Berryb

Postby Berryb » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:55 pm

I can see that "buff" was a poor choice of words. I learned the hard way, a long time ago, not to over-clean stuff (old fishing reels). I just wondered about this one because the patina is so uniform that it almost looks like it was applied. I suppose if I ever get the urge to buff a knife I could start with this one, but it would be kinda' like puttin' lipstick on a pig.
Bruce
Attachments
DSC_0003-001.JPG

Colonel26

Postby Colonel26 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:59 pm

Berryb wrote:I can see that "buff" was a poor choice of words. I learned the hard way, a long time ago, not to over-clean stuff (old fishing reels). I just wondered about this one because the patina is so uniform that it almost looks like it was applied. I suppose if I ever get the urge to buff a knife I could start with this one, but it would be kinda' like puttin' lipstick on a pig.
Bruce

Shoot, that one's just now broke in good.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

FRJ
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby FRJ » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:46 pm

Them Old Timers can take just about anything.
Joe

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby treefarmer » Tue May 02, 2017 1:26 am

Bruce,
Clean that old gal up and make that broken clip into a Wharncliffe lookin' blade and put her to work! ::tu::
Treefarmer

Berryb

Postby Berryb » Wed May 03, 2017 12:49 am

I think it might be a bit of a project, one spring is half gone, the other is so soft you can hardly tell it's there. I kinda thought a picture of a rusty Old Timer would be an appropriate avatar for me though.
Bruce

deltaboy

Postby deltaboy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:33 am

I love my Western Barlow
Keep Near the Cross.

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”