Is this a Legitimate Western W66?

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Is this a Legitimate Western W66?

Post by orvet »

::hmm:: I found this old Western at a show sometime ago. It appears to be a W66, but I cannot find one in Harvey Platts book with a wooden handle that has spacers in the middle like this one. There is one listed with a solid Pakkawood handle and spacers on the end on page 163 of Harvey Platts book. It is in the 1959 - 1960 catalog reprint section.

Does anyone know if this is a legit factory handle? It doesn't appear to have been tampered with.

Tang Stamp:
WESTERN
BOULDER, COLO.
PAT NO 1,967,479

20230318_212655.jpg
20230318_212643.jpg

I appreciate any information you could share with me about it.
Thank you.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
zzyzzogeton

Re: Is this a Legitimate Western W66?

Post by zzyzzogeton »

It's legit. It's an xW66. It's in the 1941 catalog pages. Wasn't made during WW2 and the W66 did not become a Western offering again until about 1975.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thank you ZZ,
I was hoping you would see my post because I figured you would know if anybody would.
Too bad the blade isn't in a little better shape than it is.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

The blade may be rough but it still has many years of prcatical use.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice find, Dale. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:41 pm The blade may be rough but it still has many years of prcatical use.
Absolutely! It may not be shiny, but it will give someone a lifetime of use as a quality hunting knife that will hold a great edge!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

orvet wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:43 am ::hmm:: I found this old Western at a show sometime ago. It appears to be a W66, but I cannot find one in Harvey Platts book with a wooden handle that has spacers in the middle like this one. There is one listed with a solid Pakkawood handle and spacers on the end on page 163 of Harvey Platts book. It is in the 1959 - 1960 catalog reprint section.

Does anyone know if this is a legit factory handle? It doesn't appear to have been tampered with.

Tang Stamp:
WESTERN
BOULDER, COLO.
PAT NO 1,967,479

20230318_212655.jpg

20230318_212643.jpg

I appreciate any information you could share with me about it.
Thank you.
I have what I believe is a xWW 66 that appears in the TKMWWW catalog pages for the year 1941.The construction of my knife is similar to your knife .Red and black carbon spacers ,a couple brass spacers , aluminum guard and pommel.The two knifes do differ in one way .My knife has solid wood and your knife has two sections of wood split with spacers .I do think your knife has not been tampered with and came from the factory as is and for some reason your version was left out of the catalog print as an option .I don’t think Harvey Platts had the knife collectors interest for information in mind when the book was published.It was more of just a family tree with the factory specific information that was included in the printing .
IMG_2479.jpeg
IMG_2486.jpeg
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Both nice Westerns. I would suggest that neither wood looks at all like cocobolo. I don't know what it is, Thomasg's looks a bit like cherry. ?? JMHO O'.
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

Ridgegrass wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:41 pm Both nice Westerns. I would suggest that neither wood looks at all like cocobolo. I don't know what it is, Thomasg's looks a bit like cherry. ?? JMHO O'.
Thank you for your reply.The wood grain does look a bit odd to me when compared to the black and white colored catalog page . If the knife has been re handled after leaving the factory some one done a fantastic job ! Great save for an old knife 80 + years old .Here is a picture of the mark side sitting in what I believe may be the original sheath .The stain is a little darker on the pile side .
IMG_2497.jpeg
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Tom: Those black and white ads don't show wood very well. I just thought the wood in both those knives didn't look like any coco I'd seen. If those knives are 1940's vintage maybe Western couldn't get coco due to restrictions on Brazilian imports and substituted some other wood ?? Who knows? For what it's worth here's a coco handled Olcut hunter and an Ulster folder I re-handled in wild cherry. The coco is darker, denser, with a much tighter grain, very much like rosewood. I think the handles on both knives in the original posts look "factory". Not saying yours is cherry, just looks more like a similar wood. It's just nice to know about things. For me it's the fun of the hobby. Good luck with your knife. ::handshake:: J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_6041.jpg
IMG_6042.jpg
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

Ridgegrass wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:58 am Tom: Those black and white ads don't show wood very well. I just thought the wood in both those knives didn't look like any coco I'd seen. If those knives are 1940's vintage maybe Western couldn't get coco due to restrictions on Brazilian imports and substituted some other wood ?? Who knows? For what it's worth here's a coco handled Olcut hunter and an Ulster folder I re-handled in wild cherry. The coco is darker, denser, with a much tighter grain, very much like rosewood. I think the handles on both knives in the original posts look "factory". Not saying yours is cherry, just looks more like a similar wood. It's just nice to know about things. For me it's the fun of the hobby. Good luck with your knife. ::handshake:: J.O'.
Thanks for your response.As always the information you have provided me with is a great asset to me as I pursue my hobby .The Olcult you provided for comparison is a fantastic knife ! It make me wonder if the coco was used by companies as an alternative to elbony that was so popular years ago .I have a Remington folder from early 30s with red wood handles that were stained black that I think were to stimulate an elbony look .
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Don't get wrapped around the axle too tight, re: cocobolo wood color.

Cocobolo can be found in shades of yellow, orange, red, and shades of brown with streaks of black or purple.

Also, cocobolo is a generic term for wood that is obtained from Dalbergia sp. trees, i.e., any tree that is categorized as being in the Genus Dalbergia. The color will vary between species.

As an example, look at a cross-sectional chunk of pecan, mesquite, oak, black walnut or any other hardwood. Red Oak looks different from white oak which looks different from Live Oak. Mesquite can vary from dark brown to camel tan.

Heartwood is always going to be darker than the sapwood section. The heartwood is what is normally used for woodworking. The sapwood is relatively new compared to the heartwood and is less dense.

And, finally, the color can change with exposure to sweat, skin oils, rain, dirt, etc.

I'd show some pictures, but apparently I have been banned from posting pictures for 6 or 8 months now as I have had zero access to the gallery of pictures I already have posted, nor can I added new ones to the gallery I can't see.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

ZZ: Thanks ::tu:: J. O'.

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”