Western bouldar co. ?Original scrimshaw ?

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
Thomasg

Western bouldar co. ?Original scrimshaw ?

Post by Thomasg »

Western boulder co.scrimshaw
Western boulder co.scrimshaw
Western boulder co. Scrimshaw
Western boulder co. Scrimshaw
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Western bouldar co. ?Original scrimshaw ?

Post by djknife13 »

I've seen a few Westerns with that factory applied picture. I think I have one around here somewhere. I'm sure a Western expert will be by soon to tell us if mine is correct too. I just never questioned it.____Dave
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I have no proof one way or the other, but.....

I have NEVER seen any official Western advertising mentioning scrimshaw available from the factory. Not saying it didn't occur at the factory, but no proof one way or the other.

MOST of the scrimshaw on Western made knives that I have seen has been on 1950 to 1954 48BGGs and 48BAPs and 1955 to 1959 P48As and P48Bs ivory tenite plastic handles (same 2 knives, just 2 model numbers each) and 239s with composition pearl (celluoid) handles. It is always possible that some other 2XX models may surface.

Almost all scrimshaw is on knives with the following stamps -

WESTCO CUT. CO. // JUNEAU, ALASKA // PAT'D. MADE IN U.S.A. (1947 to 1949)
or
THE COAST CUT. CO. // PORTLAND, OREGON // PAT'D. MADE IN U.S.A. (1948 to 1954)
or
COAST CUT. CO. // PORTLAND, OREGON // MADE IN U.S.A. (1955 to 1959)

Dates are based on comparisons of the stamps themselves AND the spacer arrangements on the same models with WESTERN stamps.
98src
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 98src »

Looks like something done in Alaska to be sold to tourists. I saw knives in the Anchorage airport gift shop (on the way to Korea in 1971) very similar. I have a carving set with walrus tusk handles with very similar scrimshaw scenes with reindeer and a man on a dogsled. The man I got it from said he bought it on one of his trips to Alaska.
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

Thank you for your reply s .the knife was won on a bid on e-bay .I won it for 12$ and when I was showing my great find to my wife I can remember her exact words today .never buy something that cost twice as much for shipping as you paid for it .that’s when I realized that the knife had a twenty $ shipping charge I had over looked .lol still puzzled by the shipping charges I got my answer to why the sihipping was so high and it took 8 weeks to arrive.the package was postmarked from Sweden ! Make perfect sense to me that y’all correct that the art work was done out of factory perhaps by a Swedish artist to sell to tourist .I had put the knife up and not gave it much thought until I saw the fantastic Alaskan fix blades posted .

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”