QSP

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

QSP

Post by Sasquach »

This is a QSP Parrot that I ordered as an afterthought to push my order over the free shipping amount. The blade is D2, the scales are jade (natural) G-10, and it's 4" long closed. Nowhere in the catalog, the packaging, or on the knife does it give any indication of its origin. I Googled QSP to find out it was made in China. While I'm a bit put off by the fact that I had to search out its origin that doesn't take anything away from my amazement at how well it is made. It flips open with the thumb stud as if it was spring assisted and locks up solid with absolutely no play. It was wicked sharp right out of the box and the fit/finish is good. It's a $26.00 knife that feels and performs like a much more expensive knife. I normally avoid buying Chinese products but there is no denying the craftsmanship of this little knife.
Attachments
QSP Parrot Jade (natural) G 10.jpg
A GOOD KNIFE IS LIKE A GOOD FRIEND, IT'LL NEVER LET YOU DOWN.

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: QSP

Post by KLJ77 »

I fully understand your thoughts on the QSP (Quality, Service, Price) made knives, Charlie. When I bought my Finch Holiday flipper, I didn't know who or what QSP was or stood for either. Someone here educated me on it's origin(s). However, once I received my knife, I was VERY impressed with the quality, build and smoothness of the Holiday. I've never experienced such a quick, smooth flipper like this. With the ball bearing pivot, it's as smooth as butter and flips out immediately to a strong solid lock up. Very well designed, imho. It's been my EDC knife since the day I got it. It's a wharncliffe blade, which is what drew me to it in the first place.

Nevertheless, if I came across another design that caught my eye and I liked the looks of it, I would not hesitate to purchase another QSP product.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I've never owned a QSP knife but I do own a Finch Runtly. It is a top quality knife but I didn't know it was made by QSP. I've read that Bestech made them but that might have been false information.

Austin from C. Risner has a model coming out soon that is made by QSP but I suspect it will be priced much higher like the Jack Wolf Knives recently discussed in the "$300 Chinese Knife" thread. I also suspect that the Jack Wolf Knives are made by QSP but I don't know that for a fact.

Here's a link to Austin's upcoming Ohio River Jack. If you click on one of the models you can see in the Specs that it's made by QSP. Obviously, QSP was chosen for these knives because of the outstanding quality.
https://www.traditionalpocketknives.com ... river-jack

Here's my Finch Runtly just for the fun of it. I ground down the flipper tab so I could carry it like a slip joint without it being all pokey in the pocket. It takes two hands to open it now but that's the way I wanted it.
Attachments
IMG_6302.JPG
IMG_6303.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

KLJ77 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:45 pm I fully understand your thoughts on the QSP (Quality, Service, Price) made knives, Charlie. When I bought my Finch Holiday flipper, I didn't know who or what QSP was or stood for either. Someone here educated me on it's origin(s). However, once I received my knife, I was VERY impressed with the quality, build and smoothness of the Holiday. I've never experienced such a quick, smooth flipper like this. With the ball bearing pivot, it's as smooth as butter and flips out immediately to a strong solid lock up. Very well designed, imho. It's been my EDC knife since the day I got it. It's a wharncliffe blade, which is what drew me to it in the first place.

Nevertheless, if I came across another design that caught my eye and I liked the looks of it, I would not hesitate to purchase another QSP product.
It was the jade G-10 scales and the spear blade the caught my attention with the Parrot. I don't know that I would buy another QSP product but lack of quality wouldn't be the reason. While we aren't supposed to discuss politics I can't deny that it figures into my purchasing selections on the world market. Which is probably why the quality was such a surprise to me as the last Chinese made knives I had experience with were very obviously substandard. Seeing this QSP and hearing others review similar products makes me wonder if YangJiang, China will become another cutler center like Seki, Japan.

~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Sasquach wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:23 pm
KLJ77 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:45 pm It's a wharncliffe blade, which is what drew me to it in the first place.
It was the jade G-10 scales......caught my attention with the Parrot.
The exact same two reasons for my decision to buy this Pena X-Series Front Flipper: Wharncliffe blade & Natural Jade G-10 Handle. I also like the frame lock and black blade/hardware. I'm not a big fan of the front flipper design, but it does solve the "pocket poking" problem without having to grind down a flipper extension like Rick did on his Finch Runtly.

Although I have purchased many China made AG Russell knives over the years, like Squach, I generally try to avoid buying knives made in China on principle. But the quality to price ratio is making them harder and harder to dismiss on purely political/ideological grounds. ::undecided::

P5010007.JPG
P5010005.JPG
P5010002.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

That's an attractive Pena`, Q. I like the looks of that G-10 Jade. Lots of makers are using that now. Nice lines, plus a wharncliffe. ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

Railsplitter wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:12 pm I've never owned a QSP knife but I do own a Finch Runtly. It is a top quality knife but I didn't know it was made by QSP. I've read that Bestech made them but that might have been false information.

Austin from C. Risner has a model coming out soon that is made by QSP but I suspect it will be priced much higher like the Jack Wolf Knives recently discussed in the "$300 Chinese Knife" thread. I also suspect that the Jack Wolf Knives are made by QSP but I don't know that for a fact.

Here's a link to Austin's upcoming Ohio River Jack. If you click on one of the models you can see in the Specs that it's made by QSP. Obviously, QSP was chosen for these knives because of the outstanding quality.
https://www.traditionalpocketknives.com ... river-jack

Here's my Finch Runtly just for the fun of it. I ground down the flipper tab so I could carry it like a slip joint without it being all pokey in the pocket. It takes two hands to open it now but that's the way I wanted it.
That's the one thing I have a problem with so far Rick. The ambidextrous thumb stud isn't as pocket friendly as it could be.

~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

That is a very good looking knife Q.

Regardless of political/ideological opinion I feel that clearly letting the buyer know the origin of what he's buying is important, easy, and promotes good faith. Plus, I thought the law was anything imported to the US must be labeled as to country of origin. I could be wrong. I've gone round and round with vendors on that point a few times.

~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Here we have a 6 3/4" oal QSP Ohio River Jack slip-joint that features a Bohler M390 Wharncliffe blade, Titanium bolsters, SS back spring and pins, and black canvas micarta covers. Strong 7 pull along with the same for the half-stop and detent. Weighs 3 oz.'s.
Chinese knives are improving daily, and this model is an example of that!
8)
WIN_20230516_14_54_29_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230516_14_54_01_Pro.jpg
8)

Return to “Chinese-made knives”