$300 Chinese knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Beavertail

$300 Chinese knife

Post by Beavertail »

I saw these on SMKW and was wondering why they are so expensive. ::shrug::
Is it because of the blade steel?
https://www.smkw.com/jack-wolf-sharpsho ... fat-carbon
Attachments
jshw01dmb_web25.jpg
Tim
cody6268

Re: $300 Chinese knife

Post by cody6268 »

Spyderco has a $100 Tenacious model with CPM-S35VN, so I'd say no. M390 shows up on $100-150 European-made knives all the time, that are larger, and one-hand opening.

I still fail to understand all the knives coming out of China that sells for upper-end US-made tactical money.
BWT

Post by BWT »

My thought on it is first, it’s china. They can describe the metal as to what suits them, but it could be any type of metal? I kinda doubt it is regulated?
Bill
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Beavertail wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:49 pm I saw these on SMKW and was wondering why they are so expensive. ::shrug::
The pricing must be right, supply and demand and all that, they sold out not long after being released on quite a few sites, they have got really good reports on different reviews, and they do appear really well made. They are expensive, but a lot things have increased in price a fair bit over the last year. Some of A.G. Russell's knives are getting fairly expensive, and they are made off-shore. Others will have more informed views than me. ::tu::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

How about y’all explaining to this ol’ Southern redneck, why anyone would pay $300 for that knife? I’m at an “honest to goodness” loss to understand. ::shrug::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Samb

Post by Samb »

I wouldn't give anything for it no matter who made it.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

treefarmer wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:51 am How about y’all explaining to this ol’ Southern redneck, why anyone would pay $300 for that knife? I’m at an “honest to goodness” loss to understand. ::shrug::
Treefarmer

I'm right there with ya Phil. ::shrug:: ::shrug::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

Beavertail wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:49 pm I saw these on SMKW and was wondering why they are so expensive. ::shrug::
:shock:
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Me too Phil, I've been at this for almost 20 years now and many of you longer than me and I just don't completely understand the pricing or the desire for them. I might see paying a couple of hundred for a very nice collectable knife, handcrafted of quality materials, but for a knife I'm going to put in my jean pocket and walk out of the house with, no, not over $50 to $60 bucks and most of the ones I currently carry are in the $30 range. To me the only thing a high dollar knife is good for is putting it in a cabinet or on a shelf, then what are you going to do, sell tickets for people to come in and see your expensive knives. JMHO.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

This should be posted in the Crazy Asking Prices thread. ::mdm::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Thanks for everyone's opinion. ::handshake::
The reason I posted this was to find out if I was missing something about these knives.
To me there is nothing special about it. I guess the maker thinks if they put a high price on them people will think they are special. Apparently it worked.
Tim
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:46 pm This should be posted in the Crazy Asking Prices thread. ::mdm::
::tu:: :lol:
Tim
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Here's a video about these from Austin at C. Risner.

https://youtu.be/Kq43_TYxz5U

I've been following this endeavor for a year or so. The quality and craftsmanship look to be top of the line. I would really like to have one but I don't want to pay that much either.

I do applaud the gentleman who turned his vision for these into a reality. He's a knife forum guy just like us and I'm super happy to see this dream of his come true. He has several more patterns coming up for release soon and I hope those are just as successful.

Austin at C. Risner has a similar pattern coming soon called the Ohio River Jack. It has a lot of similarities to the Jack Wolf brand and Austin is offering a two blade model as well as a single blade model. I hope his endeavor with those is every bit as successful.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Thanks for the video link. ::handshake::
I wish him nothing but success. ::tu::
They're still too expensive for me.
Tim
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Well, fellers, I watched the video, and they look like wonderful knives, they even have half stops. ::tu::
My thoughts are probably oversimplified by saying, "Some of us drive Fords and some drive BMWs.
Not being critical of the knife, it is very nice but look at the video and see how that guy opens the blade on 4 different occasions 1:09, 2:22, 3:40 and 4:54. That's just plain spooky unless I'm not seeing what he is doing with his thumb against the cutting edge? ::shrug::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

treefarmer wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:31 pm Well, fellers, I watched the video, and they look like wonderful knives, they even have half stops. ::tu::
My thoughts are probably oversimplified by saying, "Some of us drive Fords and some drive BMWs.
Not being critical of the knife, it is very nice but look at the video and see how that guy opens the blade on 4 different occasions 1:09, 2:22, 3:40 and 4:54. That's just plain spooky unless I'm not seeing what he is doing with his thumb against the cutting edge? ::shrug::
Treefarmer
I noticed that too. It gives me the Heebie Jeebies to watch him do that.

Mike Latham from collectorknives does the same thing in his videos and that always freaks me out too.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Railsplitter wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:52 pm
treefarmer wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:31 pm Well, fellers, I watched the video, and they look like wonderful knives, they even have half stops. ::tu::
Treefarmer
I noticed that too. It gives me the Heebie Jeebies to watch him do that.

Mike Latham from collectorknives does the same thing in his videos and that always freaks me out too.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed. How does he do that without slicing his thumb open? ::shrug::
Tim
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:46 pm This should be posted in the Crazy Asking Prices thread. ::mdm::

They shut it down so you can't post there. Have to post somewhere else if you want that thread.

Everybody thinks their knives can pull in what GECs are going for these days. They don't seem to understand that what makes a GEC so popular and why people are paying GEC prices is because they have none of the stuff and location that goes into this knife. Exactly zero. Good luck and if it sells the old adage of a sucker born every minute reigns supreme.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Ivoryman wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:58 pm the old adage of a sucker born every minute reigns supreme.
This! ^^^.

If some will pay $300-$400+ for a counterfeit, why not $300 for this. ::shrug:: Nowadays that’s just a couple tanks of gas. ::dang::

I’ve often said “Life’s too short to carry cheap cutlery.” But by that I mean top quality cutlery from a known established maker (think Tony Bose, Randall, or similar). Not spending 2¢ on anything from China! ::barf::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Not counting country of origin, etc….. personally I see nothing about that knife that would interest me. Perhaps if it were A LOT less expensive, but to me, the photo just looks cheap. I’m sure it’s a fine knife. But not my cup of tea. I hope he sells a bunch though.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Like He said replying to yt comments; if He got someone over here to make them for Him, we'd be looking north of 450. :shock:

Why they are so expensive, is because they are full custom, small batch production. Top-grade materials play there part too.
You can't compare them to GEC; Tony Bose is far more fare comparison.

Like anything expensive in life, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I for one, like the modern take on the classics. Is this one for me, no.
Different stokes, for different blokes.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:37 pm
Ivoryman wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:58 pm the old adage of a sucker born every minute reigns supreme.
This! ^^^.

If some will pay $300-$400+ for a counterfeit, why not $300 for this. ::shrug:: Nowadays that’s just a couple tanks of gas. ::dang::

I’ve often said “Life’s too short to carry cheap cutlery.” But by that I mean top quality cutlery from a known established maker (think Tony Bose, Randall, or similar). Not spending 2¢ on anything from China! ::barf::

Ken
Well Ken, we're both completely defeated, before even the thought. I'm typing this on a pc made from parts, from China. The clothes I'm wearing, made over there.
Like it was so well put, "Don't blame China, blame are politicians/companies for selling us out"
::tu::
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Willie, I’ve been on this round green marble a long time, observed world events a long time, and worked over 40 years for a global Fortune 500 company. I have been to China (in fact I was among the first Westerners to make a business trip to communist China). I can tell you you’re very naive - the playing field is not level - the Chicoms lie, cheat, steal, spy, manipulate currency. I’ve been there, I’ve dealt with them, I’ve sat in business meetings where at least part of the representatives are Chicom bureaucrats there to spy on you and the Chinese “company” you are dealing with, which is actually backed by the infinitely deep pockets of the Chicom government, until they eliminate the competition.

Unfortunately naivety as relates to the Chicoms is not uncommon. Our government is rife with politicians themselves either naive or have been bought by the Chicoms. And also unfortunately too many here will not wake up to the Chicom menace until it’s too late- it’s only a matter of time until they take over Taiwan which will give them control over the global semiconductor business and with it our source of critical electronics including military electronics. Don’t believe they’ll do it? Maybe you’ve forgotten what has happened to the beautiful and once free people of Hong Kong.

What you say about clothes and computers is true for most folks. I personally go out of my way seeking items NOT made in China. Often I have to buy NOS or used goods made elsewhere. I’m presently wearing jeans made in Mexico and a shirt made in Honduras. The sheets on our bed were made in U.S.A. by a U.S. company called Red Land Cotton. Somewhere here is a post detailing our family’s quest to purchase simple household electronics (waffle iron, toaster, etc) not made in China, and how we solved that buy buying NOS items, still in the box, from eBay sellers. Yes the companies that made them are no longer in business, but my money did NOT go to China, and therefore did not fund the Chicom military, which lives off the backs of U.S. (and Canadian) consumers.

I know what those reading this are thinking - poor guy is delusional if he thinks he’s making any difference. Maybe so but I’m kinda like the guy who threw the beached seashell back into the ocean - “I made a difference to THAT one!” You keep on buying Made in China goods - that’s easy. It’s also easy to look at the label on whatever goods you’re shopping for, and when you see “Made in China” move on to something else. As for me and mine, I’ll continue trying to make a difference. And hope a few others might be inspired to do likewise.

Rant over. ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:31 am Willie, I’ve been on this round green marble a long time, observed world events a long time, and worked over 40 years for a global Fortune 500 company. I have been to China (in fact I was among the first Westerners to make a business trip to communist China). I can tell you you’re very naive - the playing field is not level - the Chicoms lie, cheat, steal, spy, manipulate currency. I’ve been there, I’ve dealt with them, I’ve sat in business meetings where at least part of the representatives are Chicom bureaucrats there to spy on you and the Chinese “company” you are dealing with, which is actually backed by the infinitely deep pockets of the Chicom government, until they eliminate the competition.

Unfortunately naivety as relates to the Chicoms is not uncommon. Our government is rife with politicians themselves either naive or have been bought by the Chicoms. And also unfortunately too many here will not wake up to the Chicom menace until it’s too late- it’s only a matter of time until they take over Taiwan which will give them control over the global semiconductor business and with it our source of critical electronics including military electronics. Don’t believe they’ll do it? Maybe you’ve forgotten what has happened to the beautiful and once free people of Hong Kong.

What you say about clothes and computers is true for most folks. I personally go out of my way seeking items NOT made in China. Often I have to buy NOS or used goods made elsewhere. I’m presently wearing jeans made in Mexico and a shirt made in Honduras. The sheets on our bed were made in U.S.A. by a U.S. company called Red Land Cotton. Somewhere here is a post detailing our family’s quest to purchase simple household electronics (waffle iron, toaster, etc) not made in China, and how we solved that buy buying NOS items, still in the box, from eBay sellers. Yes the companies that made them are no longer in business, but my money did NOT go to China, and therefore did not fund the Chicom military, which lives off the backs of U.S. (and Canadian) consumers.

I know what those reading this are thinking - poor guy is delusional if he thinks he’s making any difference. Maybe so but I’m kinda like the guy who threw the beached seashell back into the ocean - “I made a difference to THAT one!” You keep on buying Made in China goods - that’s easy. It’s also easy to look at the label on whatever goods you’re shopping for, and when you see “Made in China” move on to something else. As for me and mine, I’ll continue trying to make a difference. And hope a few others might be inspired to do likewise.

Rant over. ::facepalm::

Ken
I agree with everything you say Ken, I'm an investor myself. I'm just stating what I see, blame the corrupt people over here who've sold us out.
We've been digging are own grave for years, old man potato & cabal sold us out in the 90's, it's now coming around to bite us all in the arse... :|
There's so many fights in life, you just can't win 'em all. ::undecided::
Winston Churchill

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

It is indeed sad so many have given in, given up, and chosen to place blame on someone else. The days of individual personal responsibility have ended for far too many. JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Return to “Chinese-made knives”