Chinese - BUCK 371 Stockman Pocket Knife.

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Chinese - BUCK 371 Stockman Pocket Knife.

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This pocket knife arrived recently in a large group or lot of pocket knives that I bought. I did NOT purchase the group or lot to obtain this particular pocket knife. But, it did turn out to be a keeper. It is a BUCK, pattern 371, three blades, three springs, two tang stamps, 3 7/8" closed, "STOCKMAN" pattern or style, pocket knife. The main blade tang stamp reads "BUCK - 371" with the date symbol. The third blade tang stamp reads "CHINA" Going by the main blade tang stamp symbol and according to the date chart, it is from 2014. It is in EXCELLENT condition. It needed no cleaning, I just wiped it off.
I took some pictures and here it is.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
cody6268

Re: Chinese - BUCK 371 Stockman Pocket Knife.

Post by cody6268 »

I normally ignore the Chinese Bucks, but I have a 379 I gave my grandmother, and she has NOT been kind to it. It's still going strong.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

If I can get a 373 at a good price I would like to compare it to my 1991 Buck 303 , purely out of interest :D ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by beresman »

zed6309 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:35 am If I can get a 373 at a good price I would like to compare it to my 1991 Buck 303 , purely out of interest :D ::tu::
I've got one you can have if you are willing to pay postage from the US.

Brent
Brent
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

beresman wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:39 pm
zed6309 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:35 am If I can get a 373 at a good price I would like to compare it to my 1991 Buck 303 , purely out of interest :D ::tu::
I've got one you can have if you are willing to pay postage from the US.

Brent
Thanks Brent I'll pm you ::tu::
Paul,

theyinspire

Post by theyinspire »

zed6309 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:35 am If I can get a 373 at a good price I would like to compare it to my 1991 Buck 303 , purely out of interest :D ::tu:: basket random

Did you buy a Buck 303 for that price?
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

You'll receive an answer eventually TIS! In the meantime, I'd like to ::welcome:: you to AAPK! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

theyinspire wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:29 am
zed6309 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:35 am If I can get a 373 at a good price I would like to compare it to my 1991 Buck 303 , purely out of interest :D ::tu:: basket random

Did you buy a Buck 303 for that price?

Hi, I paid postage from the states ,as beresman kindly sent one to me , there nearly £40 in the uk :(
Paul,

afishhunter

Post by afishhunter »

Nice. I like mine. The blades hold a working edge for a reasonable amount of use. The brushed stainless steel bolster looks great too, IMHO. And the G10 covers are pretty much indestructible.
Truth to tell, if I ever have my 301's blades transplanted (I'm not fond of how Buck polishes/grinds the bolsters so thin on the 301) this is probably the 371 I would use for the blade swap ... unless I get a 371 with wood covers that match my 389 canoe.

This is actually my second G10 371. The first was stolen by the poltergeist that resided in the expedited box truck I drove a few years back.
Usually, when she "borrowed" one of my pocket knives, she would give it back after a few days to a week. (putting it somewhere I would never put a knife; in the mini fridge's freezer, for example) The G10 Buck 371, and a Rough Rider Mini Trapper were the only two she took to her home realm/dimension and failed to return. :roll:
I found a NOS replacement online, a couple years after I retired. They only offered the G10 371 in 2014. It was a Walmart SFO, I believe.
Attachments
IMG_20230131_222059.jpg
"Youth is wasted on the young." (George Bernard Shaw)
"Mr. Murphy was an optimist." (The General's Credo)
"I took the road less traveled. I now have no idea where I am." (Anonymous over the road truck driver)
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

afishhunter wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:52 am Nice. I like mine. The blades hold a working edge for a reasonable amount of use. The brushed stainless steel bolster looks great too, IMHO. And the G10 covers are pretty much indestructible.
Truth to tell, if I ever have my 301's blades transplanted (I'm not fond of how Buck polishes/grinds the bolsters so thin on the 301) this is probably the 371 I would use for the blade swap ... unless I get a 371 with wood covers that match my 389 canoe.

This is actually my second G10 371. The first was stolen by the poltergeist that resided in the expedited box truck I drove a few years back.
Usually, when she "borrowed" one of my pocket knives, she would give it back after a few days to a week. (putting it somewhere I would never put a knife; in the mini fridge's freezer, for example) The G10 Buck 371, and a Rough Rider Mini Trapper were the only two she took to her home realm/dimension and failed to return. :roll:
I found a NOS replacement online, a couple years after I retired. They only offered the G10 371 in 2014. It was a Walmart SFO, I believe.
Great looking knife Fishhunter. How would you rate it compared to the Buck when Buck made them in America ?
Rough Rider is a great value but I don’t think the blade steel is as good as Buck’s. The Buck steel holds the edge longer but the Rough Rider steel sharpens more easily. I guess it’s a trade off. What’s your opinion ?
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
afishhunter

Post by afishhunter »

OSCAR wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:20 pm
afishhunter wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:52 am Nice. I like mine. The blades hold a working edge for a reasonable amount of use. The brushed stainless steel bolster looks great too, IMHO. And the G10 covers are pretty much indestructible.

Great looking knife Fishhunter. How would you rate it compared to the Buck when Buck made them in America ?
Rough Rider is a great value but I don’t think the blade steel is as good as Buck’s. The Buck steel holds the edge longer but the Rough Rider steel sharpens more easily. I guess it’s a trade off. What’s your opinion ?
Buck is still making the 301 and 303 in Idaho.
One thing about the offshore 371/373 knives Iike are the bolsters. The domestic knives have the bolsters polished/ground to almost even with the liners. In my 2014, the bolsters and covers at the liner is near a knife edge. Less than 1/68 inch. I don't know how thick the bolsters are at the pins on the Idaho knives, and I don't have calipers or a micrometer to measure the width at the bolters. However, the offshore knives feel a bit thicker across the bolsters, which if true, means the pins have more support. I suspect the 301/303 have the pivot pits supported about as much as the old shell construction Imperial/Colonial, and post 1933 Hammer Brand clamshell knives.

From what I understand, the 420J2 used on the offshore Buck knives is not as wear resistant as the 420HC used on the domestic knives, and the 420J2 is a point or two lower on the Rockwell scale, as well. 420J2 needs stropped or honed a bit more often that 420HC in my experience, but it will hold an acute 10 degree per side/20 degree inclusive edge angle for a reasonable amount of time, and is easy enough to touch up the working edge with a dry strop, leather boot, or on the bottom of a ceramic coffee mug.
I haven't noticed any practical differences between Buck's 420HC and Rough Rider's (or the old US Schrade+) 440A. Both sharpen about as easy as the other, IMHO.

To be honest, because of the perceived lack of pin support on my 301, I am more likely to drop a 371 in my pocket, when I carry a Buck stockman. (I have several alternative stockmans to choose from; Rough Rider, Marbles, a Old Timer USA 858, BTI Schrade Old Timer offshore 858OT and 858OTB, and a GEC 82.)
I will say neither of my 301s have developed any blade play. (Neither have any of my others, including the 1978 to 1984 Old Timer 858 that has Swindon Key construction! :shock: ).
"Youth is wasted on the young." (George Bernard Shaw)
"Mr. Murphy was an optimist." (The General's Credo)
"I took the road less traveled. I now have no idea where I am." (Anonymous over the road truck driver)
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

afishhunter wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:17 am
OSCAR wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:20 pm

Buck is still making the 301 and 303 in Idaho.
One thing about the offshore 371/373 knives Iike are the bolsters. The domestic knives have the bolsters polished/ground to almost even with the liners. In my 2014, the bolsters and covers at the liner is near a knife edge. Less than 1/68 inch. I don't know how thick the bolsters are at the pins on the Idaho knives, and I don't have calipers or a micrometer to measure the width at the bolters. However, the offshore knives feel a bit thicker across the bolsters, which if true, means the pins have more support. I suspect the 301/303 have the pivot pits supported about as much as the old shell construction Imperial/Colonial, and post 1933 Hammer Brand clamshell knives.

From what I understand, the 420J2 used on the offshore Buck knives is not as wear resistant as the 420HC used on the domestic knives, and the 420J2 is a point or two lower on the Rockwell scale, as well. 420J2 needs stropped or honed a bit more often that 420HC in my experience, but it will hold an acute 10 degree per side/20 degree inclusive edge angle for a reasonable amount of time, and is easy enough to touch up the working edge with a dry strop, leather boot, or on the bottom of a ceramic coffee mug.
I haven't noticed any practical differences between Buck's 420HC and Rough Rider's (or the old US Schrade+) 440A. Both sharpen about as easy as the other, IMHO.

To be honest, because of the perceived lack of pin support on my 301, I am more likely to drop a 371 in my pocket, when I carry a Buck stockman. (I have several alternative stockmans to choose from; Rough Rider, Marbles, a Old Timer USA 858, BTI Schrade Old Timer offshore 858OT and 858OTB, and a GEC 82.)
I will say neither of my 301s have developed any blade play. (Neither have any of my others, including the 1978 to 1984 Old Timer 858 that has Swindon Key construction! :shock: ).
Thank … I am going to get a 371. It looks great and your recommendation has me sold.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Return to “Chinese-made knives”