The James Brand

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The James Brand

Post by QTCut5 »

I am somewhat surprised that I couldn't find ANY mention of The James Brand knives when I did a search on the forum. ::hmm:: (BTW: The James Brand is the official name...including the definite article "The"). Naturally, I figured there surely must be other members who have seen these knives and possibly even purchased one or two?? ::undecided:: Perhaps not (or, more likely, I am not clever enough to find any related posts).

When I looked up The James Brand online, everything I read about the company led me to believe they were made in Portland, OR. It happened while I was searching for modern slipjoint knives with a Wharncliffe blade made in USA and somehow got directed to The James Brand website. I found two models I liked and decided to give them a try: "The Pike" because it has a Wharncliffe blade which is my preferred blade style, and "The Ellis" which has what looked to be a really good size, sturdy scissors. To be clear, I did not do enough research, because once I got the knives, I saw that although they are designed in Portland, OR, they are actually made in China. So, right off the bat I felt a bit deceived although I realize it's my own fault for not doing enough research before buying...I was just too eager to believe they were made in USA and I took the leap based on my faulty assumption. However, in my defense, the company does not exactly make it clear on their website...it takes a bit of digging and reading of the fine print, so-to-speak.

Here's a link to their home page. https://thejamesbrand.com/

After reading this, especially the part that says, "We make knives..." (my italics, etc., for emphasis), naturally I thought that they actually made the knives in Portland. But, in fact, they only design them in Portland; the knives are actually made in China.

OK, that being said, I will admit that the knives are in fact very well made. And they are minimalist in design, which is very appealing to me, a certified, card-carrying minimalist.

"The Pike"
P3310001.JPG
P3310003.JPG
P3310006.JPG
P3310007.JPG
P3310008.JPG
P3310004.JPG
P3310002.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The James Brand

Post by QTCut5 »

"The Ellis"
P3310009.JPG
P3310011.JPG
P3310017.JPG
P3310014.JPG
P3310016.JPG
P3310018.JPG
P3310010.JPG

~Q~
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Nothing wrong with plain and simple. Case in point it can be quite attractive.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Their knives look great, and most use top-notch materials. I find them overpriced for what they are, however.
Froe

Post by Froe »

Agreed. They are nice. A little expensive for the market they are competing in.
Froe
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I feel the same about the prices. At first, I was turned off by the sticker shock (which, BTW, is another reason I thought they must be made in USA), but then I found the two I got on sale for less than they retail for and that's why I decided to buy them.

I will also confess that I do not find them particularly attractive, at least not compared to most traditional slipjoint patterns; but I got them to EDC, not for display or to put in my collection. :|

~Q~
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

It's funny you should mention The James Brand knives ~Q~, since I recently stumble across their site via a link from another site and immediately put their "Chapter", "Duval", "Wayland", and "Pike" exactly like the one in your picture on my "Watch List"! I love their square minimalistic appearance along with the blade shapes, but, as other have noted the price is a major factor! Eventually though! 8)
8)
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

I feel the same way about the Finch knives. I like the look and style but the price point for a China made knife is a turn off for me.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

To me The Pike has great appeal. The design is very clean and, as stated, minimalist.
TPK

Post by TPK »

Put some black "Glennbad Stag" on that Pike and :shock: Wow! ::nod:: ::super_happy::

If that's even possible? ::hmm:: ::shrug::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Thanks for posting, as I had not heard of them until now. I also like the Pike.
The Ellis looks useful, but I prefer the look of more traditional-style pocket knives. That Like appears to be a modern take on a traditional slip joint. Pretty neat!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

C-WADE7 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:36 am I feel the same way about the Finch knives. I like the look and style but the price point for a China made knife is a turn off for me.
Exactly! ::tu:: 8)
8)

Return to “Chinese-made knives”