Watchman Brother Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Watchman Brother Knives

Post by joeradza »

Anyone have experience with these? They look good but looks can be deceiving.
Attachments
B26574BA-DBFE-4540-AECA-F86087A5AFBA.jpeg
B7B2FA8D-E458-41D6-AD27-EE87A4806859.jpeg
F65A6BE2-902C-4D78-BEAF-6F51758A3C35.jpeg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Watchman Brother Knives

Post by edge213 »

I've never heard of them. In the pictures they look like decent knives.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

Answer to question on Amazon is "China." For $42, can the steel really be what they claim?
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

Thanks but I asked about experience.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

There are knife factories in China making tactical style knives with high end steel that sell for $500-$1,000. Point is, Chinese manufacturers are quite capable of making some of the best knives in the world. The quality of these "Watchman Brother" knives will be whatever the person ordering them asked for and was willing pay for. For $42 they could be very good. Rough Rider knives average about $15 and they are very good, durable knives that edge hold very well.
How about buying 1 or 2 and then letting us know what you think. I doubt you will be disappointed.
kj
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:13 am There are knife factories in China making tactical style knives with high end steel that sell for $500-$1,000. Point is, Chinese manufacturers are quite capable of making some of the best knives in the world. The quality of these "Watchman Brother" knives will be whatever the person ordering them asked for and was willing pay for. For $42 they could be very good. Rough Rider knives average about $15 and they are very good, durable knives that edge hold very well.
How about buying 1 or 2 and then letting us know what you think. I doubt you will be disappointed.
kj
I'm going to order the green micarta. It's $33 on Aliexpress.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Many on here know I have a few Chinese made knives, sadly much easier to get in the uk as old knives are harder to find here, but in my experience and after years of using many I've no complaints, recently due to my 50th I treated my self to some higher end chinese knives , one is from a well established and trusted company called Heinnie haynes and the other is from RR , the HH slipstream has a s35vn blade and titanium scales, everything is spot on on this knife, perfectly centered, solid snap and a half stop, it cost £90 , I knew it was from china but I contacted HH to make sure everything was legit material wise and they said defantly, the other is a Rough Rider Reserve 002 kayak, SMKW had these made at a completely different factory and the build quality on this £65 RR is amazing, D2 steel , micarta covers and brass liners,and half stops, everything is flush , I dont own the OP knives but in my experience the quility is spot on, compared to my case and A Wright knives as also great knives but most are not centered and have blade rub .
20201223_100344-01.jpeg
IMG_2020-12-22_12-36-49_431.jpg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

joeradza wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:43 am
kootenay joe wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:13 am There are knife factories in China making tactical style knives with high end steel that sell for $500-$1,000. Point is, Chinese manufacturers are quite capable of making some of the best knives in the world. The quality of these "Watchman Brother" knives will be whatever the person ordering them asked for and was willing pay for. For $42 they could be very good. Rough Rider knives average about $15 and they are very good, durable knives that edge hold very well.
kj
I've been eye-balling them at Aliexpress for nearly 6 months Joe, but every time I want to pull the trigger I spot another auto I want, so the Brothers keep getting bumped. Their sleek streamlined appearance is what attracted me to them in the 1st place, and upon closer examination they appeared to be well made, so I will eventually buy 1 or 2. If I get mine before you, I'll report! 8)
8)
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

Madmarco wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:11 pm
kj
I've been eye-balling them at Aliexpress for nearly 6 months Joe, but every time I want to pull the trigger I spot another auto I want, so the Brothers keep getting bumped. Their sleek streamlined appearance is what attracted me to them in the 1st place, and upon closer examination they appeared to be well made, so I will eventually buy 1 or 2. If I get mine before you, I'll report! 8)
Sounds like a plan. There's always something to keep us knife knuts busy.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

joeradza wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:51 pm
Madmarco wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:11 pm
Sounds like a plan. There's always something to keep us knife knuts busy.
That's 4 sure! Before you pay US$33. for one, keep looking at other sellers, because I just saw them for CDN$26., ::nod:: and that converts to about US$20.! 8)
8)
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

My ole neighbor came over one time said whatcha doing? I seez painting my trim. He seez looks good from the road. Them knives look good from the road. ::woot:: ::handshake::
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Brother 1503
Attachments
Brother 1503 (1).jpg
Brother 1503 (2).jpg
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

1507 & 1508
Attachments
Brother 1507.jpg
Brother 1508.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Knice knives Vit, especially that last one. ::nod:: ::tu::
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Well it looks like I'm a repeat here, but I just got this Watchman Brother in the mail today. I didn't really know anything about them so of course I had to buy one and see for myself what type of knife they are.

The one I received is the 1508 with the VG-10 blade and the Carbon Fiber handles. It's 3.75" closed with a 3.15" Wharncliffe blade. At first inspection the appearance is very good, to me. The weight is about 2.9 oz. just enough to not feel too light, but feels like it has strength. All seams between handle, bolsters and liners are very smooth and perfectly matched. When I shined a flashlight from the well side there was no light at all showing between liners and backspring. The blade has a half-stop and when fully opened the spine is a perfect match to the backspring. At present the blade is very tight and has an excellent "snap" when closed and is centered. Has an excellent edge that is very sharp. The handles have been finished to a very smooth texture, but not so much that you can't hold a good grip on it.

I like the knife so I'm going to order some of the other models, but for now I think I'm going to carry this one for awhile.
Attachments
20210209_165115.jpg
20210209_165210.jpg
20210209_165900.jpg
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Looks like some purty good lookin' steel gents. By what I'm reading here, and comparing to said RR's, I'm definitely choosing these over said other 'un's.
Like the saying goes, "You get what you pay for". Same thing with guitars...
I'm not out of luck, there's some resellers/dealers on ebay, so that's who I'm going with.
8) ::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I don't how I missed this thread but I just received this 1503 yesterday. Took it to work today and tried it out on some cutting tasks that I encounter on a regular basis. Cutting cardboard, shrink wrap, bubble wrap, and opening boxes.

I know a lot of knife enthusiasts dislike blade grinds that are too thick and understandably so. The grind on this model does appear fairly thick but it did well under actual use. I like the blade shape and I've got no complaints so far after using it for a day at the workplace.

It snaps into the open position with a loud THWACK. No complaints there either.

The last picture is edge on for a good look at the taper of the grind.
Attachments
IMG_5797.JPG
IMG_5798.JPG
IMG_5801.JPG
IMG_5803.JPG
Brother 1503 Blade Grind.jpg
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Great review, Rick, spot on. ::tu::

I bought the 1508 & 1503, one of each model in both Natural Bone and Carbon Fiber
Note: all have shields except the Natural Bone 1508NB (and what would you call that shield anyway...torpedo?? ::hmm:: )
P2170016.JPG
I love the geometry of the Wharncliffe blade and graceful swaybelly handle on the 1508. Also, the snap on ½stop, open & close is nice and crisp: stronger than the typical Case, but not as stiff as an early GEC, for example, IMO.

The 1503 "Cowfish" Lockback has what I can only determine is a "modified Wharncliffe" blade...although that's also the name used for the blade on the Kershaw Leek...and they are nothing alike...so...I don't know...you make the call, cause I don't know what to call it...swaged spear? ::shrug:: The long pull is nice and the lock mechanism is super smooth and super tight. And the release is perfect. Hold the knife out at 90 deg (or slightly more...just to protect your finger) and press the release bar and the blade drops smoothly...so sweet...it's almost as much fun as playing with a switchblade...only in reverse!

Fit and finish on both the 1503 & 1508 in both handle materials is top notch and comparable to any made-in-China AG Russell knives. One noticeable, and possibly "telling" characteristic is the interior striker pin that keeps the blade from ever touching the backspring when snapping closed. This is a feature on many Chinese AG Russell knives. There has been speculation that the reason for the apparent similarity in appearance is because Brother knives are actually made in the same Chinese factory as the AG Russell knives---a rumor I can not confirm with any evidence other than the Brother knives themselves which bear remarkable similarity to China made AG Russell knives (of which I have owned more than a few over the years.)

P2170001.JPG
P2170004.JPG
P2170011.JPG
P2170009.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Wow ~Q~! That's quite the haul!

One of my major pet peeves is when I buy a brand new knife and the tip when closed sits so high in the blade well that I can catch my finger on it if I'm not careful. Then you have to file the kick and keep an eye out for blade rap. One should not have to do that on a brand new knife.

Whoever the manufacturer is, they took that into account on the 1503. Hopefully on their other models as well. It will take a lifetime of sharpening to raise the tip high enough to be a problem.
IMG_5804.JPG
Same deal on my A.G. Russell.
IMG_5614.JPG
Rick T.

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

QTCut5 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:55 am Great review, Rick, spot on. ::tu::

I bought the 1508 & 1503, one of each model in both Natural Bone and Carbon Fiber
Note: all have shields except the Natural Bone 1508NB (and what would you call that shield anyway...torpedo?? ::hmm:: )
P2170016.JPG

I love the geometry of the Wharncliffe blade and graceful swaybelly handle on the 1508. Also, the snap on ½stop, open & close is nice and crisp: stronger than the typical Case, but not as stiff as an early GEC, for example, IMO.

The 1503 "Cowfish" Lockback has what I can only determine is a "modified Wharncliffe" blade...although that's also the name used for the blade on the Kershaw Leek...and they are nothing alike...so...I don't know...you make the call, cause I don't know what to call it...swaged spear? ::shrug:: The long pull is nice and the lock mechanism is super smooth and super tight. And the release is perfect. Hold the knife out at 90 deg (or slightly more...just to protect your finger) and press the release bar and the blade drops smoothly...so sweet...it's almost as much fun as playing with a switchblade...only in reverse!

Fit and finish on both the 1503 & 1508 in both handle materials is top notch and comparable to any made-in-China AG Russell knives. One noticeable, and possibly "telling" characteristic is the interior striker pin that keeps the blade from ever touching the backspring when snapping closed. This is a feature on many Chinese AG Russell knives. There has been speculation that the reason for the apparent similarity in appearance is because Brother knives are actually made in the same Chinese factory as the AG Russell knives---a rumor I can not confirm with any evidence other than the Brother knives themselves which bear remarkable similarity to China made AG Russell knives (of which I have owned more than a few over the years.)

P2170001.JPGP2170004.JPGP2170011.JPGP2170009.JPG
Thanks ~Q~. It looks like all of your knives with shields have pinned shields. That's good to see. The A.G. Russell models lack that feature, I'm sorry to say.
Rick T.

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I'm envious ~Q~ I have the 1508 and I have the 1507 ordered. I think they are very good knives.
At their current price I put them up against the Rough Ryder Reserve series. I think they are
both quality made knives, but I like the pattern and blade combinations better in the Watchman.
I plan on collecting all of them along the way.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I cannot find a "Watchman Brothers" website. Does anyone know if this is a USA company ? or UK ? or any information about who is behind these knives ?
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:13 pm I cannot find a "Watchman Brothers" website. Does anyone know if this is a USA company ? or UK ? or any information about who is behind these knives ?
kj
At 0:07 in this video you can see the label on the box that reads "Ming Hong Tools & Hardware Co., Ltd".
https://youtu.be/x2QXBWbblXo
Rick T.

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Go to this link and scroll almost to the bottom.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000107518921.html

Screenshot 2021-02-19 131808.png
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

We finally got mail and I received this one today
The Brother 1507. I'm really starting to like these knives.
20210219_124012.jpg
20210219_130318.jpg

Return to “Chinese-made knives”