China made Camillus

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
zzyzzogeton

Re: China made Camillus

Post by zzyzzogeton »

It varies by county and changes occassionally. Texas Parks & Wildlife Department biologists study the take by county every year, do aerial surveys for count densities, and more to determine what the next year's max take can be.

For nearly 30 years, up until 3 years ago, we could take 1 "good" buck and/or 1 "junk" buck in the EAST half of the county (east of IH35). The and/or part was some years we couldn't take a spike AND a good buck.

A good buck was defined as having branched antlers and an inside measurement of 13". A "junk" buck was a at least 1 spike horn. I took one deer that was a spike on one side and had 4 points on the other side. Most would take a "good" buck and MAYBE a spike if it appeared to be full grown and still a spike. No does were allowed to be taken, unless you appliedfor special predation permits.

Getting those permits are a joke. You do surveys, take pictures, submit an application, wait for the biologists to get off their assess and make a decision.

7 years ago, one of our wheat fields started harvest with a yield of 53 bushels per acre out near the road, dwindling and we got closer to the pasture and creek until the final 10 acres was yielding only 22 bushels per acre.

So the next year (6 years ago), we jumped through the hoops, sent in the application and got permits to take 3 does. The P&W folks sent the permits to us 2 weeks AFTER the end of the season. ::doh::

Did it again the next year and got only 2 permits 2weeks before the season was over, reduced by 1 because we didn't use any of the permits the year before. :x Haven't tried since.

3 years ago, we were allowed to take up to 2 does during the 4 day Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Poured down raining all 4 days. Got 1 buck that year. The week after the season ended, I counted 36 deer in the wheat field near the pasture, 22 deer in the neighbor's wheat field and another 20 in our north wheat field. All within 5 minutes.

2 years ago, our county opened up with the current 4 deer max. I took a 9 point that yielded 96 # of chili grind and 2 does that averaged about 35# each. This year I got an 8 point, 2 does and a one horn spike. About 160#. I gave away the meat from 1 doe each year to a local families.

My brother took 4, one of my nephews got a buck, a spike and a doe, another nephew got 1 doe and my BnL got a feral hog.

The week after the season was over, I counted 72 deer in 6 fields and pastures. We are flat run over with deer right now.

Depending on your point of view, it could be heaven or hell. It's Texas!!! I call it heaven but I know a bunch of folks who think Hell might be cooler. Personally, I can't see how anyone lives where there is more snow than will fit in a snowcone.

Actually, we have 2 large freezers and 4 refrigerator/freezers.

1 freezer is for venison, beef, chicken and ear corn.

1 freezer is for "the normal family" freezer items, like frozen vegetables, cheese, briskets, chicken tenders, frozen fruit. I still have about 20# of tomatoes, 15# of bell peppers and 3# jalapenos from last year's garden. Along with 10# of figs, 30 cups of cut up strawberries.

The freezer compartment of 1 fridge is for breakfast related stuff - waffles, pancakes, sausage, bacon, corn dogs, hot pockets, etc. Yes, I eat corndogs and hotpockets for breakfast. This one also contains frozen dog food. I cook my own dog food and bag it up in 1 cup servings for my dog. I use beef, chicken and venison - whatever is cheapest or freezer burned. For the last batch, I used a 4# roast that was dated 12/15/2016 that somehow got lost in one of the freezers. I found it when defrosting one of the freezers.

Another is for ice cream, pizza, shrimp and fish.

The third is in the garage and has the freezer filled with various fruit and sugar mixes for cobblers - peach, blackberry, strawberry. We mix it up in single and double batches and freeze it in ziplock bags. Really speeds up cobbler making.

The door shelves of each of the above have freezer jars of soups (chicken noodle/taco), stews, chili, sloppy joe, cooked beans, whatever is left-overs.

The 4th fridge is out in the shop and has 60 or 70 bottles of homemade wine and mead aging.

I keep running inventories on each freezer/compartment by shelf on the doors with magnets. Take a double batch blackberry cobbler out of the freezer, mark it off the list.

And I have 2 generators to keep them running in the event of power outages.
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

There are just too many good American made knives in circulation for me to buy a Chinese knife. It might seem unkind, but it is my personal feeling that we have already sent China too many American jobs. We came to world power as an industrial giant and we have given it away to our enemies. Make no mistake, China is not, and will never be, our friend.
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I had forgotten this thread. Rereading it I found my reply in which I wrote that I found a $9.99 fixed blade under power lines. A year later I can write that its steel does not hold an edge long enough for it to be worth owning. I suspect it wasn't lost but rather was thrown away.

Now I'm not against buying Chinese knives. I've bought a lot of Rough Ryder/Ryders and been happy enough with the ones I've used. My daily carry for some time has been a $19.99 440A stainless Marbles Congress. It appears to have been stamped out with the same tooling used to make Rough Ryders and the jigging in its bone is identical. Since I don't mind taking it back to my stone once in a while it's been serviceable. In contrast, I'd be happy to find an excuse to give the Camillus away.

Logically the D2 in the original poster's Camillus should be holding an edge longer than my Camillus fixed blade.
eveled

Post by eveled »

If you have a rustic room man cave barn or similar. Take that crappy sheath knife you found. Dull the edge find a place to drive it into a wall and use it to hang your coat and hat.

Return to “Chinese-made knives”