China made Camillus

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Meridian_Mike

China made Camillus

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I flew up to Lexington last weekend.
SO.... "Ye shall not fly with a pocket knife, unless you want to donate it to TSA..."
As soon as I landed, I got my sister to take me STRAIGHT to Walmart. I HAD TO HAVE a knife in my pocket.
I settled on this Camillus. I have to say, it is about as sharp as a razor blade and easy to open. The only thing I don't like about it is the pocket clip (in my opinion) is at the wrong end. When you pull it, you have to flip it around to use it.
IMG_6649.JPG
IMG_6648.JPG
IMG_6647.JPG
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: China made Camillus

Post by jerryd6818 »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:14 pm I flew up to Lexington last weekend.
SO.... "Ye shall not fly with a pocket knife, unless you want to donate it to TSA..."
As soon as I landed, I got my sister to take me STRAIGHT to Walmart. I HAD TO HAVE a knife in my pocket.
I settled on this Camillus. I have to say, it is about as sharp as a razor blade and easy to open. The only thing I don't like about it is the pocket clip (in my opinion) is at the wrong end. When you pull it, you have to flip it around to use it.
Well I hope you didn't donate an expensive or well loved one to TSA.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

I like them tip down myself.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Some Chinese Camillus aren't bad, but I avoid them by principle. I prefer hawkbills tip-down carry, but all others are tip-up.

I've been looking at their take on the Cuda Quick Action and LEV-R-LOK knives since I can't find any USA-made in a decent condition at a price I can afford. The only "cheap" Cuda I've seen was really beat up and missing a clip--I put a high for me $60 bid on, and it still went to $100; but it was a Moore Maker version made in 2006) and every $50 or less Lev-R-Lok I see is knackered. You can get either "new" Camillus version for $30 or less each. I almost went China with a couple of very hard to find USA-made Schrades; but I waited enough to where I've found a couple USA made which may not have been (anywhere even close to) mint, but perfectly acceptable for EDC at prices I could afford. So I'm sure I'll find the Cuda and Lev-R-Lok cheap soon enough.

I've had two. One is a really large machete, called the Carnivore X, which has quite soft steel ("titanium bonded" my arse), but is a really tough beater that you can dig and pry with without hurting. The other is a traditional penknife. I was pretty ticked off when I found out Walmart, under their Ozark Trail label had an identical knife for half price--same steel and all. I paid $10 for it at TSC. Steel was soft on that one as well.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Well, I don't collect china knives BUT if I am in a tight spot, I might be seen toting one.
This one surprised me.... It was only $18.
For the quality..... it is worth $18.

:D
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

And, the D2 Tool Steel ought to make it pretty good for rough use. D2 must be pretty cheap to produce in China. You're seeing it on more and more low-cost China-made knives instead of "420 and 440 Stainless" and the "CrMoV" series of steels.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:14 pm I flew up to Lexington last weekend.
IMG_6649.JPG
IMG_6648.JPG
IMG_6647.JPG
Mike, sorry to hear about your donation to TSA. That's happened to me a few times. Fortunately nothing really valuable, just really annoying. I don't know how this works, but a lot of the TSA knives, if not most, wind up with this guy on the bay. His volume is down now because far less people are flying, but normally he has 200-300 or more TSA knives for sale every single week. If you keep an eye out, you might see your knife for sale in one of his auctions! Keep that mask on when you are flying buddy.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bouldercitynv/ ... 1543.l2654
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Well.... it's SO EASY to forget you are carrying if you carry everyday.
Don't you just plain feel NEKID if you don't have a knife?
(Besides, I was about to drive to Detroit after I landed. I sure 'nuff ain't going to Detroit UNARMED!!)

::doh::
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Post by geocash »

herbva wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:44 pm
Mike, sorry to hear about your donation to TSA. That's happened to me a few times. Fortunately nothing really valuable, just really annoying. I don't know how this works, but a lot of the TSA knives, if not most, wind up with this guy on the bay. His volume is down now because far less people are flying, but normally he has 200-300 or more TSA knives for sale every single week. If you keep an eye out, you might see your knife for sale in one of his auctions! Keep that mask on when you are flying buddy.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bouldercitynv/ ... 1543.l2654
[/quote]

Excuse me for getting off the original subject, but I assume his listings show a pretty good sample of what people actually carry or at least what people who fly actually carry.
geocash
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...Chinese Camillus???????............ ::doh:: .......... ::facepalm:: ...........
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Here's mine, a new-old-stock Camillus Dominator, made in China...

Nice belly on a stout drop-point blade, with a smooth-as-silk ball bearing pivot, which fires and locks up solid every time I deploy the flipper.

I much prefer a frame locker, but this liner lock really is quite solid.
Paid $15.00 at Walmart....just couldn't resist..!
Mark
Attachments
20210405_165418.jpg
20210405_165339.jpg
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I recently acquired my first Chinese Camillus. I found it in its sheath on the trail under large power lines. It's a fixed blade that Tractor Supply sells for $9.99. A delivery truck driver with one of the big companies came into a doctor's office I was in with one on his belt so it must be good enough for at least one workman. I'll sharpen mine and keep it around for a loaner or give it away. I do not have time for all the better knives I own.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

The dagger cutout on the clips of both knives shown is too cool for words, IMHO! 8)
8)
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

carrmillus wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:27 pm ...Chinese Camillus???????............ ::doh:: .......... ::facepalm:: ...........
Oh yeah. And Chinese Western's as well.

The company "Acme United Corporation" bought the intellectual property rights of Camillus at the bankruptcy auction in 2007. While the company is based in Connecticut, 99% of the knife production is in China.

I have to admit that the 2 Acme Camillus knives I have work well. Actually, I have 4.

The two sets of 2 knives I have are essentially Camillus's 2005/2006 Western R31/R2 guthook/ B&T combos, of which I already have 3 sets of.

The only reason I have the cme versions is I have my nieces and nephews trained well - when in doubt, buy Uncle Wayne a knife. 2019 Christmas saw a niece from one side of the family and a nephew from the other side both gave me a combo set.

Even though I have plenty of other hunting knives, I opened both combos for the 2020 deer season and used each set on 2 deer @ just so I could honestly tell both of them that I field dressed a couple of deer with their gifts.
Modern Slip Joints

You allowed to take four deer in one year? You must live in heaven and have a large freezer.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

It varies by county and changes occassionally. Texas Parks & Wildlife Department biologists study the take by county every year, do aerial surveys for count densities, and more to determine what the next year's max take can be.

For nearly 30 years, up until 3 years ago, we could take 1 "good" buck and/or 1 "junk" buck in the EAST half of the county (east of IH35). The and/or part was some years we couldn't take a spike AND a good buck.

A good buck was defined as having branched antlers and an inside measurement of 13". A "junk" buck was a at least 1 spike horn. I took one deer that was a spike on one side and had 4 points on the other side. Most would take a "good" buck and MAYBE a spike if it appeared to be full grown and still a spike. No does were allowed to be taken, unless you appliedfor special predation permits.

Getting those permits are a joke. You do surveys, take pictures, submit an application, wait for the biologists to get off their assess and make a decision.

7 years ago, one of our wheat fields started harvest with a yield of 53 bushels per acre out near the road, dwindling and we got closer to the pasture and creek until the final 10 acres was yielding only 22 bushels per acre.

So the next year (6 years ago), we jumped through the hoops, sent in the application and got permits to take 3 does. The P&W folks sent the permits to us 2 weeks AFTER the end of the season. ::doh::

Did it again the next year and got only 2 permits 2weeks before the season was over, reduced by 1 because we didn't use any of the permits the year before. :x Haven't tried since.

3 years ago, we were allowed to take up to 2 does during the 4 day Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Poured down raining all 4 days. Got 1 buck that year. The week after the season ended, I counted 36 deer in the wheat field near the pasture, 22 deer in the neighbor's wheat field and another 20 in our north wheat field. All within 5 minutes.

2 years ago, our county opened up with the current 4 deer max. I took a 9 point that yielded 96 # of chili grind and 2 does that averaged about 35# each. This year I got an 8 point, 2 does and a one horn spike. About 160#. I gave away the meat from 1 doe each year to a local families.

My brother took 4, one of my nephews got a buck, a spike and a doe, another nephew got 1 doe and my BnL got a feral hog.

The week after the season was over, I counted 72 deer in 6 fields and pastures. We are flat run over with deer right now.

Depending on your point of view, it could be heaven or hell. It's Texas!!! I call it heaven but I know a bunch of folks who think Hell might be cooler. Personally, I can't see how anyone lives where there is more snow than will fit in a snowcone.

Actually, we have 2 large freezers and 4 refrigerator/freezers.

1 freezer is for venison, beef, chicken and ear corn.

1 freezer is for "the normal family" freezer items, like frozen vegetables, cheese, briskets, chicken tenders, frozen fruit. I still have about 20# of tomatoes, 15# of bell peppers and 3# jalapenos from last year's garden. Along with 10# of figs, 30 cups of cut up strawberries.

The freezer compartment of 1 fridge is for breakfast related stuff - waffles, pancakes, sausage, bacon, corn dogs, hot pockets, etc. Yes, I eat corndogs and hotpockets for breakfast. This one also contains frozen dog food. I cook my own dog food and bag it up in 1 cup servings for my dog. I use beef, chicken and venison - whatever is cheapest or freezer burned. For the last batch, I used a 4# roast that was dated 12/15/2016 that somehow got lost in one of the freezers. I found it when defrosting one of the freezers.

Another is for ice cream, pizza, shrimp and fish.

The third is in the garage and has the freezer filled with various fruit and sugar mixes for cobblers - peach, blackberry, strawberry. We mix it up in single and double batches and freeze it in ziplock bags. Really speeds up cobbler making.

The door shelves of each of the above have freezer jars of soups (chicken noodle/taco), stews, chili, sloppy joe, cooked beans, whatever is left-overs.

The 4th fridge is out in the shop and has 60 or 70 bottles of homemade wine and mead aging.

I keep running inventories on each freezer/compartment by shelf on the doors with magnets. Take a double batch blackberry cobbler out of the freezer, mark it off the list.

And I have 2 generators to keep them running in the event of power outages.
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

There are just too many good American made knives in circulation for me to buy a Chinese knife. It might seem unkind, but it is my personal feeling that we have already sent China too many American jobs. We came to world power as an industrial giant and we have given it away to our enemies. Make no mistake, China is not, and will never be, our friend.
Modern Slip Joints

I had forgotten this thread. Rereading it I found my reply in which I wrote that I found a $9.99 fixed blade under power lines. A year later I can write that its steel does not hold an edge long enough for it to be worth owning. I suspect it wasn't lost but rather was thrown away.

Now I'm not against buying Chinese knives. I've bought a lot of Rough Ryder/Ryders and been happy enough with the ones I've used. My daily carry for some time has been a $19.99 440A stainless Marbles Congress. It appears to have been stamped out with the same tooling used to make Rough Ryders and the jigging in its bone is identical. Since I don't mind taking it back to my stone once in a while it's been serviceable. In contrast, I'd be happy to find an excuse to give the Camillus away.

Logically the D2 in the original poster's Camillus should be holding an edge longer than my Camillus fixed blade.
eveled

Post by eveled »

If you have a rustic room man cave barn or similar. Take that crappy sheath knife you found. Dull the edge find a place to drive it into a wall and use it to hang your coat and hat.

Return to “Chinese-made knives”