New Rough Ryder Reserve knifes to be available at SMKW

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Beavertail

Re: New Rough Ryder Reserve knifes to be available at SMKW

Post by Beavertail »

Old Folder wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:37 pm They're baaaaack!" (#4.1)

Andy, from smkw added the below comment today 02/17/2021:

"Here's what the design mockup looks like. This is a separate file from the actual design files that shows the round in comparison to one another. For size comparison, the Triple-R 008 Common Stock is 4.25" closed."

"They're on their way and will be added to the smkw online store as soon as we know exactly when they will be in house. Pricing will be available at that point as well. ~ Andy"

RRR Roundup.jpg
Dan
Hey Dan,
Have you heard any word on when the Rhino toe and Noise folding hunter will be available?
I keep checking but I keep getting "out of stock".
Tim
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Beavertail wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:06 pm

"Here's what the design mockup looks like. This is a separate file from the actual design files that shows the round in comparison to one another. For size comparison, the Triple-R 008 Common Stock is 4.25" closed."

"They're on their way and will be added to the smkw online store as soon as we know exactly when they will be in house. Pricing will be available at that point as well. ~ Andy"

RRR Roundup.jpg
Dan
Hey Dan,
Have you heard any word on when the Rhino toe and Noise folding hunter will be available?
Hello Tim,

No definite word yet Tim, many collectors continue to ask SMKW on the arrival date of the 006 & 007, the same answer is continuously provided by Smoky: "There on the boat."
It appears that the 006 Rhino Toe Wharncliffe, and the 007 Nomad Folding Hunter have been "On the Boat" for close to 5 months now.
The mice on board the boat are most likely dying from starvation by now.
Personally, I think that there was a production problem (situation) in China. It does not take a ship 5 months to transverse the Atlantic ocean, even if the ship was involved in the earlier Panama Canal situation.

SMKW's website always states "Out of stock" on all their knives that they do not have in stock yet. (Website designer's false news.) When I read "Out of Stock" I assume that the out of stock knife was sold out and a resupply may be in stock soon? However, the 006 and 007 RRRs have never been in stock. It is somewhat misleading, one would think they are all sold out. (No disrespect for SMKWs web designers) Perhaps they you should just re-adjust their terminology that would end the confusion.

I also check with SMKWs site almost daily. Perhaps the future series #3, RRR 009, 010, 011, 012 will be in stock before the 006 and 007 arrive?

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Old Folder wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:44 pm
Beavertail wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:06 pm

RRR Roundup.jpg
Dan
Hey Dan,
Hello Tim,

No definite word yet Tim, many collectors continue to ask SMKW on the arrival date of the 006 & 007, the same answer is continuously provided by Smoky: "There on the boat."
It appears that the 006 Rhino Toe Wharncliffe, and the 007 Nomad Folding Hunter have been "On the Boat" for close to 5 months now.
The mice on board the boat are most likely dying from starvation by now.
Personally, I think that there was a production problem (situation) in China. It does not take a ship 5 months to transverse the Atlantic ocean, even if the ship was involved in the earlier Panama Canal situation.

SMKW's website always states "Out of stock" on all their knives that they do not have in stock yet. (Website designer's false news.) When I read "Out of Stock" I assume that the out of stock knife was sold out and a resupply may be in stock soon? However, the 006 and 007 RRRs have never been in stock. It is somewhat misleading, one would think they are all sold out. (No disrespect for SMKWs web designers) Perhaps they you should just re-adjust their terminology that would end the confusion.

I also check with SMKWs site almost daily. Perhaps the future series #3, RRR 009, 010, 011, 012 will be in stock before the 006 and 007 arrive?

Dan
Thanks for the reply Dan. ::handshake::
I got the Hedgehog and the Common stock and am very happy with them.
I posted a photo of a display I made out of an old flag case. It turned out pretty good.
Attachments
20210503_150158.jpg
Tim
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

I communicated with Andy Armstrong on 4/29 and got the following reply:

"Thanks for the kind words. The Nomad and Rhino Toe were on a different shipment than the other two. They're slightly delayed but on their way. I have no time frame I can really give you other than the fact that they're done and in the middle of the shipping/customs process.

Andy Armstrong
Lead - Product Development and Branding
Smoky Mountain Knife Works"
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

I just got the RRR002 Kayak in the mail, and I have to say that I am totally sold on this knife. It's as well made as any knife I own... no wobble, blades straight down the middle, no gaps anywhere in the springs or scales. It has the perfect pull and snap, the blades are nice and solid feeling with a beautiful finish. The design is great too. Pretty micarta, nice brass liners. Ten out of ten on this one.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Didn't even know the RRR009 had been released yet (C'mon, Dan...you're slipping! :lol: ), but I just found & bought this EZ Open Tan Micarta Sway on eBay for $38.79 (free shipping). I haven't received it yet, but if it's as nice as my Kayak and Hedgehog, I think I'll be very happy with it...after all, it is one of my all-time favorite traditional patterns. ::nod::

3.75" Closed Length
RRR EO Wharncliffe.jpg

Here's a link to the Sway at SMKW
https://www.smkw.com/rough-rider-ez-ope ... rta-rrr009
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

I've got one of those babies on its way to me too.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

QTCut5 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:45 am Didn't even know the RRR009 had been released yet (C'mon, Dan...you're slipping! :lol: ), but I just found & bought this EZ Open Tan Micarta Sway on eBay for $38.79 (free shipping). I haven't received it yet, but if it's as nice as my Kayak and Hedgehog, I think I'll be very happy with it...after all, it is one of my all-time favorite traditional patterns. ::nod::

3.75" Closed Length
RRR EO Wharncliffe.jpg

Here's a link to the Sway at SMKW
https://www.smkw.com/rough-rider-ez-ope ... rta-rrr009
I posted information on the new RRR009 & RRR001BM on the below link back on October 12th.
Go to the top page of this below link for info on your new EZ Open. This was a "Proto" copy from Smoky, so there are no markings on the blade.
Let us know your opinion upon arrival.
https://allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_ ... 49#p958849

I suppose I should have kept it within this link. :oops: My mistake.

No information on the other two RRRs for this 3rd series (yet).

Dan
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

bigshot wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:13 am I've got one of those babies on its way to me too.
Post your opinion upon its arrival bigshot.

Here are more RRRs you may be interested in. 10 so far, more coming in the future.

RRR Series.jpg
Dan
Dan
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

I've got all of them ordered except for the Rhino Toe and Barback. I should have four more when the mail arrives today, and the last one by Tuesday. I have a really nice Sunfish and it is cool and unique, but I don't see myself ever using it for much. I don't think I could be happy with the Barback I'm afraid. That narrow part in the blade to accommodate the cap pull... and the fact that you can only use the cap pull with the knife closed... Every time I looked at it, I would get irritated by the design. My design sensibilities override my desire to "collect the whole set". I also didn't order the blue denim one arm knife. I prefer the brown. My collection is focused on black handles and materials like stag and natural bone. I don't like the flashy colors.

I did order a bunch of the normal priced and carbon steel models to compare. I'm interested to see how they square up. I've never even considered them in the past because they just seem to be too inexpensive to possibly be good. After seeing the Kayak, I'm rethinking that assumption.
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

Here are the ones I have so far. (Next week I'll be getting the brown one arm and the lock back.) I've cleaned them up and oiled them and played a bit with them. Here are my thoughts.

Rough Ryder Reserve Swell Center Whittler D2 Black: $49.99 GRADE A-
Perfect- no flaws of any kind. It's a very large knife. Beautiful BIG main blade. The secondary blades are tiny in comparison. They let this one down a little. I kind of wish the coping blade was a bit larger, but it is OK as it is and that main blade is gorgeous. One design issue... The nail nicks on the coping and pen blades are partially obstructed by the swell center. I like the look of the knife, but the difference in size between the blades makes it look odd.

Rough Ryder Reserve Easy Open Sway Back Tan: $30.48 GRADE A+
Perfect- no flaws. Really nice blade. Gorgeous micarta. This one is a gem. I would really like a larger version of this. I've got a Case Sod Buster ordered. I'll be interested to compare it. This could be a useful work knife- even more so if it was a bit larger.

Rough Ryder Reserve Hedgehog D2 Black Micarta: $43.64 GRADE A+
Perfect- no flaws. VERY sweet knife. Not too big, not too small. This would be a perfect every day carry knife for me. This and the kayak are my favorites in this series so far.

Rough Ryder Reserve Common Stock D2 Black Micarta: $51.69 GRADE A+
Perfect- no flaws. My favorite large Stockman is the Buck 307. The Buck is a little more streamlined looking, but I actually like this one better than the Buck. Bigger main blade, half stop, nicer looking handles. I rarely use the spay blade on my Buck. The bottle opener will get more use when I'm out in the wild having a wild time.

Rough Ryder Reserve Kayak D2 Black Micarta: $75.00 (secondary market) GRADE A+
Perfect- no flaws. The natural color micarta is beautiful. It's more gray than tan. This is a very nice knife. Both blades are fantastic. My favorite medium/large knife from this series. I like it even better than the stockman.

I'll comment on the one arm and lock back when I get them.
IMG_2313.jpg
IMG_2315.jpg
IMG_2312.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I added this razor Barlow to an order I made to SMKW. I must say that I am really impressed with this knife, the packaging, the soft cloth and the metal tube with soft foam in both ends to protect the knife. For 40 bucks this is an amazing knife. D2 tool steel blade. The centering is perfect and the run up is tight. Wish I needed another EDC, because this one would get a lot of use.
Attachments
5E9740DB-882D-428F-8B41-B69B1A2D14DB.jpeg
6403E01A-DFE5-4AE2-AA57-EB64021F1775.jpeg
5B45B907-BD9B-44B4-A4A4-757CDADCACD4.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

Return to “Chinese-made knives”