New Rough Ryder Reserve knifes to be available at SMKW

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
kootenay joe

Re: New Rough Ryder Reserve knifes to be available at SMKW

Post by kootenay joe »

I am a big believer in: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
The stainless steel used for blades in the traditional style Rough Riders works exceptionally well. They arrive with a shaving sharp edge and edge hold well for much longer than you expect. If you use one enough to dull the edge it re-sharpens up easily and then again edge holds well. These blades work 'perfectly'. There is no need to change to D2 steel. I doubt they will edge hold significantly longer and they will take much longer to re-sharpen.
To those who hunt, i encourage you to use a traditional style RR to field dress (& de-bone if you have to pack out) your next deer. And then post back here with how it went.
kj
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

Like many who have voiced their opinion I see this as a big jump in price for possibly the same or lesser quality. I plan to watch and see what BUYERS say once they get them in hand. My feeling now is that I could put $60 (that is the price of the RRR003) "toward" the price of some early Hen & Rooster knife or a down payment on a G.E.C. Time could change my mind but I doubt it.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

The reason why you see so many Chinese knives in D2 and titanium is because those materials in China are less expensive, Chinese steels are of equal quality to American standards.
As far as price goes, I disagree that SMKW is using this as a "test" to increase the price of future RR knives. If they wanted to raise prices, they would, they do not have to sneak in the back door, or run acceptance tests.
Lets not forget that Rough Ryder is owned by an American Company, "Smoky Mountain Knife Works." No way would SMKW falsify steel content. It would be very easy for a "Metallurgist" to perform a test on D2 Steel.
I know of no other Knife Company that sends you a money back, 30 day "Return/Exchange Form" with every knife that you order.

I highly doubt that SMKW would cut corners, or allow anyone else to use a lower quality steel than they say they are using.
When Kevin Pipes founded the Rough Ryder brand, he had one vision in mind: Create a line of quality traditional pocket knives at an affordable price.
Now, a higher than normal price surfaces for a new knife series and the conspiracy theories have started.

The Rough Ryder Reserve Swell Center Whittler (#RRR003) features three D2 tool steel blades all with a brushed satin finish, deep swedging, half stops and match strike pulls. The spear point main blade is 2.8", and there are smaller secondary pen and coping blades. The handles are black canvas Micarta with brushed stainless steel bolsters, brass liners, and nickel silver pins and the Triple-R Arrowhead shield. This classic whittler pattern is 4.5" closed, 7.3" with the main blade open, and weighs 4.65 ounces. Comes packed in a collectible Rough Ryder Reserve Tube Tin and includes a Rough Ryder microfiber cleaning cloth.
I think the price is appropriate.

When they become available, yes, I will purchase them.
If you observe the pictures of the RR Reserve knives, you will notice that the higher than usual price may very well be understandable.
https://www.smkw.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=rr+reserve

IMG_0002.JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Below is the new "Rough Ryder Reserve" (RRR 001-002-003) video that pertains to the knives that are talked about in the above posts. The video is a little over 23 minutes and takes a little over 6 minutes before the RRRs are actually shown. However, it is a very informative and well done smkw video with great descriptions.
They also talk about a fourth knife to be added to the Rough Ryder Reserve series in the near future.
Funny, waiting on the new and anticipated RRR series has been kind of like waiting on the new "Stimulus Payment" ::hmm:: ::shrug::
Dan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IwjP-poB_g
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Dan, i enjoy reading your posts. They always are sensible, informative and well written. Thanks. :)
kj
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:30 am Dan, i enjoy reading your posts. They always are sensible, informative and well written. Thanks. :)
kj
What Roland said! ::tu:: 8)
8)
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:55 pm
kootenay joe wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:30 am Dan, i enjoy reading your posts. They always are sensible, informative and well written. Thanks. :)
kj
What Roland said! ::tu:: 8)
Thank you so much kj and Madmarco. ::handshake::
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

The three new Rough Ryder Reserve (RRR) knives are now available from smkw.com if you have interest.
I ordered all three, and will post my opinions and pictures after receiving them.
Don't hesitate, there is much interest in these new RRR additions and others are scheduled to be added to the series.
Dan

https://www.smkw.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=RRR

rrr001_rrr002_rrr003_sq.jpg
Dan
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Old Folder wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:14 pm The three new Rough Ryder Reserve (RRR) knives are now available from smkw.com if you have interest.
I ordered all three, and will post my opinions and pictures after receiving them.
Don't hesitate, there is much interest in these new RRR additions and others are scheduled to be added to the series.
Dan

rrr001_rrr002_rrr003_sq.jpg
The blue one with the curved blade end? A man told me that it is for people with no thumb nail etc. to catch it on you belt loop to open it. It works but is that really why the shape?
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

mrwatch wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:26 pm The blue one with the curved blade end? A man told me that it is for people with no thumb nail etc. to catch it on you belt loop to open it. It works but is that really why the shape?
Basically, yes. I've read that those type of blades were designed during the Civil War because so many soldiers lost an arm in the war.

The blade is also commonly referred to as a "One Arm Man" blade.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

As of this writing, the "Rough Ryder Reserve Easy Open Razor" # RRR001 is now sold out at smkw. I'm sure the other two will soon follow. ::shrug::
Rough Ryder knives are getting more and more like GEC on availability.
Dan
Dan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Attachments
RRR Pictures.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Okay, curiosity won and I ordered the new RR Kayak and RR Swell Center Whittler. I don't care for the Razor.
I will be very interested to hear all of our differing opinions on these knives when we receive them.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

dlr110 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:31 pm Okay, curiosity won and I ordered the new RR Kayak and RR Swell Center Whittler. I don't care for the Razor.
I will be very interested to hear all of our differing opinions on these knives when we receive them.
UPDATE: For the second time in a month FedEx has lost my order from SMKW. FedEx wouldn't talk to me about it and I got, let's say very un-Christian about it. I spoke with SMKW and they will start an investigation and then will replace or refund my money. In my personal experience FedEx is the worst delivery companies in the country.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

dlr110 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:52 pm
dlr110 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:31 pm Okay, curiosity won and I ordered the new RR Kayak and RR Swell Center Whittler. I don't care for the Razor.
UPDATE: For the second time in a month FedEx has lost my order from SMKW. FedEx wouldn't talk to me about it and I got, let's say very un-Christian about it. I spoke with SMKW and they will start an investigation and then will replace or refund my money. In my personal experience FedEx is the worst delivery companies in the country.
That is so disappointing ! I feel for you.
Will SMKW only ship via FedEx ?
kj
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

WOW David.
I hope that your RRR Kayak and Whittler were not in there?
Being that the FedEx driver miss-delivered your last shipment down the road, he would be my first CSI.

Dan
Dan
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:02 pm
That is so disappointing ! I feel for you.
Will SMKW only ship via FedEx ?
kj
I was told that is their current "agreement" but they are getting so many complaints from around the country they are trying to get management to return to what ever they were doing before. Not sure if that was USPS.

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

That is very handy information to have, if i have a purchase i won't be using FedEx, it takes me long enough as it is to receive my parcels. ::tu::
PigStikr

Post by PigStikr »

I have quit ordering anything unless it comes UPS--USPS in Michigan dosen't deliver nothing but bills on time --packages all get lost if they go through the Detroit mail hub---the way it's set up you can't even make complaint's it's just gone--all mail on east side goes through Detroit Hub if it's a package it's not gonna arrive been this way for 2+ years now and getting worse every week---I think those employee's make a better living off lost parcels than they do take home pay...are they reselling all those lost items??? where do they go??? they actually change tracking dates arrival time from week to week so they don't look so bad...I have gotten several empty padded envelopes why do they do that if someone ain't stealing?? the edge will be ripped open why dosen't that carrier return it to sender?? ? Don't get me started on the mail in ballots those Government Fools told us all to trust.......
Never Doubt Your Dawg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Back in stock.

Rough
Ryder
Reserve
Attachments
Screenshot_20201118-195901.png
Screenshot_20201118-195923.png
Screenshot_20201118-195952.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

The new "Rough Ryder Reserve" was scheduled to be sold in increments of four (4) knives, however, the RRR004 was late on the production line and the first of the series were sold without the 004. The 004 did not accompany the first three.
We all know about the 001 002 & 003 RRR.
I have the following information on the missing RRR004:
It is a "BarBack" pattern. I have never heard or seen a BarBack knife until I watched the below SMKW YouTube video entitled: SMKW's "Guys Talk Knives #148"
It can be seen on the below posted youtube site.
It's a 38 minute video narrated by "Andy." Andy was also the knife designer of the RRR 004, you can skip to the initial showing of the knife at approximately 7 minutes into the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbwoCvcUXqc

I captured the two below pictures from my monitor, the picture quality is not very fine. However, the video will be much better for your viewing and will give you much history of the upcoming RRR knives.
One very interesting subject is that even though Rough Ryder has its own factory, the Rough Ryder Reserve knives are not manufactured in their "standard" RR factory.
According to Andy, SMKW uses a "Premium" factory for the RRR production. Alan also stated that the premium factory has "insane" Quality Control.
The next series of RRR knives will have a total of five (5) knives, to include the RRR004 and RRR005 through RRR008.

Alan gave no prices, he did however state that there are less than 1,000 of each and every RRR produced. When they are gone...there gone. Less than 1,000 is quite low in our current knife world. Alan also stated on October 20th that they are currently "On the Boat" which is usually a 45 day trip.

Here are the pictures:
Two blade. Wharncliffe and regular Spearpoint blade, half stops, D2 with Micarta Handles. The cap-lifter is located on the blade, the caplifter can be utilized while the blade is closed.
Dan
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG
Dan
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

All my RR knives are of excellent quality and great value for money. If they can keep up their quality with the downside of per run numbers released, that is a small price to pay. Would rather see that, than a lot more produced but losing their quality. That is only my opinion, would love to hear other members thoughts though. ::tu::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Old Folder wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:25 pm The new "Rough Ryder Reserve" was scheduled to be sold in increments of four (4) knives, however, the RRR004 was late on the production line and the first of the series were sold without the 004. The 004 did not accompany the first three.
It is a "BarBack" pattern. I have never heard or seen a BarBack knife until I watched the below SMKW YouTube video entitled: SMKW's "Guys Talk Knives #148"
It's a 38 minute video narrated by "Andy." Andy was also the knife designer of the RRR 004, you can skip to the initial showing of the knife at approximately 7 minutes into the video.

I captured the two below pictures from my monitor, the picture quality is not very fine. However, the video will be much better for your viewing and will give you much history of the upcoming RRR knives.
One very interesting subject is that even though Rough Ryder has its own factory, the Rough Ryder Reserve knives are not manufactured in their "standard" RR factory.
According to Andy, SMKW uses a "Premium" factory for the RRR production. Alan also stated that the premium factory has "insane" Quality Control.
The next series of RRR knives will have a total of five (5) knives, to include the RRR004 and RRR005 through RRR008.

Alan gave no prices, he did however state that there are less than 1,000 of each and every RRR produced. When they are gone...there gone. Less than 1,000 is quite low in our current knife world. Alan also stated on October 20th that they are currently "On the Boat" which is usually a 45 day trip.

Here are the pictures:
Two blade. Wharncliffe and regular Spearpoint blade, half stops, D2 with Micarta Handles. The cap-lifter is located on the blade, the caplifter can be utilized while the blade is closed.
Dan
IMG_0004.JPGIMG_0001.JPG
No offense meant to anyone, but that is one ugly knife.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

edge213 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:38 pm
Old Folder wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:25 pm The new "Rough Ryder Reserve" was scheduled to be sold in increments of four (4) knives, however, the RRR004 was late on the production line and the first of the series were sold without the 004. The 004 did not accompany the first three.

Here are the pictures:
Dan
IMG_0004.JPGIMG_0001.JPG
No offense meant to anyone, but that is one ugly knife.
I agree, This knife does nothing for me. Very ugly. ::td::
Tim
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Me three-ugly! But to each, their own 👍..I'm sure there's knives I love that other people would hate ::shrug::
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne

Return to “Chinese-made knives”