New Rough Ryder Reserve knifes to be available at SMKW

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Stanwade

Re: New Rough Ryder Reserve knifes to be available at SMKW

Post by Stanwade »

dlr110 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:48 am
Stanwade wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:40 am Yay!! Rough Ryders are #1 a+!! Everyone else who has an opinion that doesn't praise every model ever made is obviously wrong and biased against the holiest of knives ever produced!! 🤣 ::poke:: ::poke::
What ::shrug::
It's a joke.. that's all...
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

I felt the need to say something sarcastically because other members here and myself say one negative thing about Rough Ryders and we get passive aggressive remarks from other members when all we do is state our opinion and make sure it's just our opinion..no harm intended, David, I just had to put that out there..has nothing to do with you..all is good 😁
Ryan

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I still say that barback is butt ugly!!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Stanwade wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:55 am I felt the need to say something sarcastically because other members here and myself say one negative thing about Rough Ryders and we get passive aggressive remarks from other members when all we do is state our opinion and make sure it's just our opinion..no harm intended, David, I just had to put that out there..has nothing to do with you..all is good 😁
::handshake::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Stanwade wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:55 am I felt the need to say something sarcastically because other members here and myself say one negative thing about Rough Ryders and we get passive aggressive remarks from other members when all we do is state our opinion and make sure it's just our opinion..no harm intended, David, I just had to put that out there..has nothing to do with you..all is good 😁
What I've never understood though is if you dont like RR etc why go on the posts in the first place? I love pocket knives and have done for over 40yrs, as a kid I had many from Sheffield as I'm in the UK, but equally I had some from Japan, Taiwan, Pakistan and I loved them all the same , I love this group and have been on here for years , but I know there are many here who have a strong hatred for Chinese made knives and I get why ,but if I look on a post about a knife I dont like but someone else does I dont go on there and RIP it to shreds , lifes to short and everyone has different budgets, my budget is non existent, both me and my wife are care workers so on low pay, so I buy RR's as affordable and good value for money , I can only dream of owning GEC,Northfields etc but I love looking at them, each to there own my friend as there is a bigger picture ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Paul, I like Rough Ryders and have Even recommended a few here.. sorry if I offended you🤝.. My comments were for other reasons.. sorry to anyone I might have offended but I'm sticking to my comments on this matter..
Ryan

zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Stanwade wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:44 am Paul, I like Rough Ryders and have Even recommended a few here.. sorry if I offended you.. My comments were for other reasons.. sorry to anyone I might have offended but I'm sticking to my comments on this matter..
Not offended Ryan ::tu:: take care mate
Paul,

zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Hmm I dont like this one at all, what was there thinking on this model ::shrug:: why dont they do a nice Lanny or Barlow ::tu:: the Kayak appealed to me and I got it in a trade for some of my Antler work, I know the blades on it are not to everyone's taste but there work for me for carving as I use my knives , but this one is ugly ::dang:: come on SMKW you must know your market and what's popular pattern wise ::tu::
rrr004.jpg
rrr004.jpg (8.07 KiB) Viewed 3243 times
Paul,

KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Dan...Thank you for posting about (with photos) the use of the cap lifter on the BarBack. ::tu:: I too theorized about just how that cap lifter would work, or not, in the open blade position. You cleared that up nicely. And I agree, there should be some sort of clarification on the SMKW site. I mean, we're told, in 14 different ways, on a bottle of bleach, to NOT drink & swallow it. :roll: There should be a "cut" warning of some sort for not using the cap lifter in the open position. It's only a matter of time when we'll read about a law suit against SMKW for not stating the obvious, because there are people out there who don't use logic and commonsense...like you did.

Anyway...nice write up and glad you got the BarBack sooner than expected. You've got a nice series going. Now to wait & see what SMKW comes out with in the 005 - 008 series.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

I fully understand that there are knifers who would rather cut their finger off, instead of buying a Chinese made knife. However, imho, Kevin Pipes has tremendous quality control in the making of these knives. They may be made in China, but it is an American business, with knives imported to the U.S.

I have many RR knives because I either like them and they appealed to me at a great price point. And they are very good users and available to just about everyone's pocketbook in this day and age of economic slowdown.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

KLJ77 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:57 pm Dan...Thank you for posting about (with photos) the use of the cap lifter on the BarBack. ::tu:: I too theorized about just how that cap lifter would work, or not, in the open blade position. You cleared that up nicely. And I agree, there should be some sort of clarification on the SMKW site. I mean, we're told, in 14 different ways, on a bottle of bleach, to NOT drink & swallow it. :roll: There should be a "cut" warning of some sort for not using the cap lifter in the open position. It's only a matter of time when we'll read about a law suit against SMKW for not stating the obvious, because there are people out there who don't use logic and commonsense...like you did.

Anyway...nice write up and glad you got the BarBack sooner than expected. You've got a nice series going. Now to wait & see what SMKW comes out with in the 005 - 008 series.
Your very welcome LJ
Yes, the new RRR to be released soon has much interest by many collectors, including me.
I am hoping they will be more functional than the BarBack.

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

I do not carry the Rough Rider Reserve series. I only collect them. The current BarBack (RRR004) is functional, however, I do not feel that it has done much to improve the Reserve series sales? But it is part of the series and the fit and finish is excellent.
Below is what could happen if you keep the BarBack in the same pocket as your pocket change. I have not carried coins in my pocket now for many months due to the covid19 situation. I pay with my credit card only, which limits hand to hand contact. Many retail businesses will not accept cash, only credit or debit payment.

This is what could happen within your change pocket. The coins can actually become stuck within the excessive gap between the liners. The nickels will actually lodge themselves in and must be physically pulled out.

IMG_0002 (9).JPG
IMG_0001 (11).JPG
Dan
Dan
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

That used to bug the crap out of me. Very annoying. I used to have that same problem until I started using one of these. Been carrying one everyday since the late 1970's but this one is only a few years old.
Attachments
IMG_5722.JPG
IMG_5723.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Excellent idea Rick.
I remember those. I think I'll pick one up. ::nod::
Dan
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

I carry change in my left pocket, but I always use a leather slip for most of my pocket knives ::tu:: I've only got the kayak but it's also gappy, I wonder does it need the central liner ? I know its already got phosphorous washers ::tu::
Paul,

Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Would one of you be willing to post pictures of the RRR Whittler and Bar Back's bottom or back spring side and the top side that blades open out of.

Those are two I've considered buying. I'd be more inclined to buy the Whittler if it is not a 3 spring knife. The bottle opener is such a prominent feature of the Bar Back that it would have been smarter marketing it late spring or early summer. I put away the camp knife that I carried through the summer because I seldom need a bottle opener in cold weather. However, it keeps getting harder to find truly different knives for my collection and those two sure are different than anything I've got.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:37 am Would one of you be willing to post pictures of the RRR Whittler and Bar Back's bottom or back spring side and the top side that blades open out of.

Those are two I've considered buying. I'd be more inclined to buy the Whittler if it is not a 3 spring knife. The bottle opener is such a prominent feature of the Bar Back that it would have been smarter marketing it late spring or early summer. I put away the camp knife that I carried through the summer because I seldom need a bottle opener in cold weather. However, it keeps getting harder to find truly different knives for my collection and those two sure are different than anything I've got.
Here you go my friend.
Both knives have two (2) backsprings each.
Any other pictures needed? Let me know.
Both of the knives you are interested in are of excellent quality.

IMG_0001 (12).JPG
IMG_0003 (8).JPG
IMG_0002 (10).JPG
Dan
Dan
Modern Slip Joints

Thank-you Old Folder!

While the Bar Back has the traditional spring assembly of Moose and Canoes that I expected the Whittler has a new twist on two spring whittler assembly. In their two spring whittlers that were not split backs Queen tapered both springs for their full length. That avoided using super thick master blade stock which I've seen done in German made two spring whittlers. RRR is using washers to fill the gaps between the master tang and liners. Like using super fat master blade stock the washers are, in my humble opinion, less than classy. On the other hand, at 4 1/2" closed I'd carry the RRR Whittler in a belt pouch so pocket coins lodging in its gaps would not effect me. The best way to make whittlers is to use two thin springs separated by a wedge at the secondary blade end but that is the most expensive way. I call those split back whittlers. Except for those with three long blades the regular production RR whittlers that I own are all split backs. Using a less expensive assembly in their most expensive line seems contradictory.

Case, in their less expensive whittlers, and Buck are using three springs. Unless they have three long blades that leaves a lot of empty space it their blade wells. Other than low cost, the advantage of three springs is that the secondary blades project from the handle parallel to each other and the handle. In all the two spring whittlers I've handled the secondary blades open at an angle forming a V. Do the the RRR whittler's secondaries stick straight out?.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Old Folder wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:33 pm
Modern Slip Joints wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:37 am Would one of you be willing to post pictures of the RRR Whittler and Bar Back's bottom or back spring side and the top side that blades open out of.

Here you go my friend.
Both knives have two (2) backsprings each.
Any other pictures needed? Let me know.
Both of the knives you are interested in are of excellent quality.

IMG_0001 (12).JPGIMG_0003 (8).JPGIMG_0002 (10).JPG

Dan

Sorry Marc;
I inadvertently left out the third blade.
Corrected below.
Dan

IMG_0005 (10).JPG
IMG_0010 (2).JPG
IMG_0011 (1).JPG
Dan
Modern Slip Joints

Thank-you again. I doubt it was a design goal but whoever designed the RRR whittler found another way to make the secondary blades stick straight out of the handle. I still have not decided if they're where my next knife money will go.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

I am a current member on Facebook, however, I have very few friends there, just to keep in touch and share stories and pictures with family members, etc.
There are also many "Private Groups" that you can join in Facebook that are totally separate from your own home page. By "private" meaning that it is a group of members that anyone can join and participate in, just like AAPK. Just to name a few of the "groups" that you can join:
Knife Photos.
Rough Rider Blades.
Finch Knife Forum.
Puukko Knife Collectors.
SMKWarmyMembers Group. etc.

On Thursday 01/21/2021 (Yesturday) a topic came up within Facebook "SMKWarmyMembers Group" pertaining to the Rough Ryder Reserve 004 "Bar-Back" knife. This "group" contains over 5,000 active members. The group is observed by SMKW and Smoky responds to your questions quickly. This group has over 5,000 active members.
Apparently, the 004 discussion was read by "Andy" whom is an employee of smkw and also designed the RRR004 BarBack.
Andy started the following:

"I think people either love or hate the RR004 knife and I'm okay with that. Not all knives are for all people.
I wish sometimes I was on the air to explain it a little better, but let me clear one thing up. This isn't and never was intended to be a bar tool. It's a utility knife in a traditional knife's clothing that has a working guy's cap lifter in the spine of the utility blade. Hence the term "BarBack".
Second round is coming with another strong mix of old and new patterns. Just like the first round of 4.
Andy"

A few moments later, another representative (unknown) from smkw entered into the conversation and made the below statement:

"If the pattern RRR004 returns, it will definitely get some adjustments. Were listening and making changes as this progresses for sure."

So...there we have it, SMKW is obviously aware of the "not so much" loved 004 pattern and will make future design adjustments.
For those of you that are not aware of the Rough Ryder Reserve pattern RRR004, the lower two pictures are of my 004.
IMG_0003 (5).JPG
IMG_0006 (7).JPG
IMG_0005 (8).JPG
Personally, I like the knife's unusualness' but it is overbuilt.

Dan
Dan
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

To me, the Barback is fine as a pattern, but it could do without the bottle opener. If they do another "bar" type knife, it's a tool better suited to something like a screwdriver (ala most scouts) or a fork (ala some Hobos, GEC Beer N' Sausage Knife).
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Thanks for that write up, Dan. It's nice to know that a company is listening to their consumers / knifers. That says a lot about SMKW. ::tu::
LJ

Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

KLJ77 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:48 am Thanks for that write up, Dan. It's nice to know that a company is listening to their consumers / knifers. That says a lot about SMKW. ::tu::
Thanks LJ.
I had the same thoughts as you when I read that Smoky was listening and answering live questions online.

Dan
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

"They're baaaaack!"

Part of Round 2 of the Rough Ryder Reserve line is still on the slow boat from China. I have posted an actual picture of the new RRR Pattern 007 below. No, I did not steal it from the CPC, ::paranoid:: it is from SMKW. The Pattern 007 is called the "Nomad Folding Hunter."

Sorry, I do not have any information on the other patterns: (RRR: 005-006-008) :(

The Rough Ryder Reserve Nomad Folding Hunter (Pattern 007) features a 3.125" D2 tool steel drop point blade with a brushed satin finish and a comet-tail fuller. This lockback has natural tan canvas Micarta handles with nickel silver pins, brass liners, and brushed steel bolsters. It has a nickel silver Triple-R Arrowhead shield and a brass lanyard tube. It's 4.25" closed and 7.375" fully open. The 007 Nomad is the first locking knife in the Rough Ryder Reserve line. It comes packed in a collectible Rough Ryder Reserve Tube Tin and includes a Rough Ryder Reserve microfiber cleaning cloth.

Please note: This knife is in transit. It is not listed on the Smoky web site yet, but should be posted in the near future, unfortunately I do not have a issue price.

I really like the new "Lockback Hunter" and I think it's a great addition to the first four.

AAPK Second series RRR Nomad Rough Ryder Reserve.jpg
Dan
Dan

Return to “Chinese-made knives”