New Rough Ryder Reserve knifes to be available at SMKW

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: New Rough Ryder Reserve knifes to be available at SMKW

Post by Old Folder »

"They're baaaaack!" (#2)

Here's a sneak peek at the Triple-R Pattern 5 HedgeHog. No prices yet, but SMKW will let us know as soon as they can.

Rough Ryder Reserve HedgeHog Pattern 005
Item Number: RRR005

The Rough Ryder Reserve HedgeHog (Pattern 005) is a modern take on the Muskrat pattern designed by Andy Armstrong. It's an equal-ended cigar pattern jack with a D2 tool steel sabre clip point blade at one end and a Wharncliffe blade at the other. Both blades have a brushed satin finish, match strike pulls, half stops, and heavy swedging. The handles are black canvas Micarta with a nickel silver Triple-R Arrowhead shield. It also has nickel silver pins, brushed steel striped bolsters, and brass liners. It's 3.875"

This RRR Series keeps getting better and better, I especially like the Wharncliffe blade on the Pattern 005. Also note that "Andy Armstrong" mentioned above is a SMKW employee, he designed this pattern and also designed the earlier RRR Barback that had a lot of controversy? However, I like the Barback.

RRR 005 HedgeHog.jpg
I will post other RRR pictures when I can obtain them. (Two remaining RRR006 & RRR008) left in the second series. ::groove::

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

I am really looking forward to that 007 being in stock. Looks like a good carry knife. Thanks Dan for posting all the inside info on these knives. I know I appreciate it. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

"They're baaaaack!" (#3)
Here is the third of the four new Rough Ryder Reserve in the series #2 group. (Not yet posted for sale on the smkw web site) As of today, Tuesday, February 9, 2021, I have shown the new and upcoming RRR005 and the RRR007, both pictured in my above posts, and the below RRR008. Still waiting for my "Insider information" on the RRR006, which will be the last of the series #2. More RRR series are scheduled to be released in the near future. ::tu::

So...this "Common Stock" RRR008 is exactly that, a common serpentine stockman pattern to include a cap lifter. Perhaps the "common" caplifter/bottle opener was designed and implemented in the this pattern to keep all the cry babies happy, yes, I'm referring to the RRR004 Barback.

Here's a sneak peek at the Triple-R 008 pattern, the official name is: "Common Stock"

The Rough Ryder Reserve Common Stock (Pattern 008) is a three-bladed serpentine stockman that features a main clip point blade, a smaller sheepsfoot blade, and a cap lifter/screwdriver blade. It's the perfect stockman for the common man. All of the blades are D2 tool steel with a brushed satin finish and match strike pulls, half stops, and deep swedging. The handles are black canvas Micarta with a nickel silver Triple-R Arrowhead shield. It also has nickel silver pins, brushed steel striped bolsters, and brass liners. It's 4.25" closed and comes packed in a collectible Rough Ryder Reserve Tube Tin with a Rough Ryder Reserve microfiber cleaning cloth.

RRR0008 Common Stock Series 2.jpg
I will post a picture of the final Rough Ryder Reserve (RRR006) after I receive the information.
Looks like a great series #2 collection.

Dan
Dan
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Dan I like that 8) going on its frame size I'm wondering how big the main blade is ? Got to be 3inches or under to be uk legal :? Thanks for sharing mate ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

Thanks Dan for keeping us updated. Definitely one that I will be buying when they become available. ::nod::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Old Folder wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:55 pm "They're baaaaack!" (#2)

Here's a sneak peek at the Triple-R Pattern 5 HedgeHog. No prices yet, but SMKW will let us know as soon as they can.

Rough Ryder Reserve HedgeHog Pattern 005
Item Number: RRR005

The Rough Ryder Reserve HedgeHog (Pattern 005) is a modern take on the Muskrat pattern designed by Andy Armstrong. It's an equal-ended cigar pattern jack with a D2 tool steel sabre clip point blade at one end and a Wharncliffe blade at the other. Both blades have a brushed satin finish, match strike pulls, half stops, and heavy swedging. The handles are black canvas Micarta with a nickel silver Triple-R Arrowhead shield. It also has nickel silver pins, brushed steel striped bolsters, and brass liners. It's 3.875"

This RRR Series keeps getting better and better, I especially like the Wharncliffe blade on the Pattern 005. Also note that "Andy Armstrong" mentioned above is a SMKW employee, he designed this pattern and also designed the earlier RRR Barback that had a lot of controversy? However, I like the Barback.

RRR 005 HedgeHog.jpg

I will post other RRR pictures when I can obtain them. (Two remaining RRR006 & RRR008) left in the second series. ::groove::

Dan
In the style of the "Hawbaker" Muskrat. I really like that pattern but can't bring myself to pay $50 for a Rough Rider (or is it Ryder?). I'm predicting that in a couple of years, all the under $20 Rough Riders will have disappeared never to be seen again. Just sayin'............ I hope I'm wrong.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I just received my first of these RR Reserve knives, a 3 5/8" Kayak and a 4 1/2" Swell Center Whittler. I am very impressed with everything even the packaging which includes a polishing cloth. Blades are ultra sharp and all blade action is tight and crisp. The important thing to know is that these are stout solid heavy knives. They are not the slender light weight, disappear into you pocket type of knives.
The liners, bolsters and springs are all thicker than on a GEC of the same size. They are also heavier, 101 grams for the Kayak compared to 83 grams for a GEC Gabon Ebony 782217 which is 3/16" longer.
Being thicker, heavier and stronger does not make it 'better than'. For most of us on most days we do not need a heavy duty pocket knife. A more slender lighter weight pocket knife is all we need and it is less noticeable when in your pocket.
But if you are going to be gardening, camping, cutting up boxes, etc. this is the knife to use.
The D2 blades are hair poppin' sharp and with this steel should be able to maintain this sharpness better than 'average'.
These RRR knives are definitely worthy of being in a new stand alone line of RR knives because they are significantly different from all previous RR's.
I think these are likely The Best work-type folding knife you can buy. They may be others as good, but not better and likely they are much more expensive than the $50-$60 price range of the RRR's.
kj
Attachments
IMGP0577.JPG
IMGP0578.JPG
IMGP0579.JPG
IMGP0580.JPG
IMGP0581.JPG
IMGP0582.JPG
IMGP0583.JPG
IMGP0584.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

A few more pictures.
kj
Attachments
IMGP0585.JPG
IMGP0586.JPG
IMGP0587.JPG
IMGP0588.JPG
IMGP0589.JPG
IMGP0590.JPG
IMGP0591.JPG
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Thanks for your thoughts, Roland. I've been looking at the Kayak ever since they came out. I believe the blade steel is D2, not VG-10.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rick, thank you for the correction. I changed VG-10 to D2 in my post.
kj
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

zed6309 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:48 am Dan I like that 8) going on its frame size I'm wondering how big the main blade is ? Got to be 3inches or under to be uk legal :? Thanks for sharing mate ::tu::
Your welcome Paul.
Unfortunately, the master blade length was not included, (yet) however, the largest RRR series knife was the Swell center Whittler (RRR003) which is 4.50" closed with a 3.25" master blade.
The new RRR008 is 4.25 closed, I'm guessing that the master blade will be at 3" max ::shrug::. Hopefully making it UK legal.

Dan
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:31 am I just received my first of these RR Reserve knives, a 3 5/8" Kayak and a 4 1/2" Swell Center Whittler. I am very impressed with everything even the packaging which includes a polishing cloth. Blades are ultra sharp and all blade action is tight and crisp. The important thing to know is that these are stout solid heavy knives. They are not the slender light weight, disappear into you pocket type of knives.
The liners, bolsters and springs are all thicker than on a GEC of the same size. They are also heavier, 101 grams for the Kayak compared to 83 grams for a GEC Gabon Ebony 782217 which is 3/16" longer.
Being thicker, heavier and stronger does not make it 'better than'. For most of us on most days we do not need a heavy duty pocket knife. A more slender lighter weight pocket knife is all we need and it is less noticeable when in your pocket.
But if you are going to be gardening, camping, cutting up boxes, etc. this is the knife to use.
The D2 blades are hair poppin' sharp and with this steel should be able to maintain this sharpness better than 'average'.
These RRR knives are definitely worthy of being in a new stand alone line of RR knives because they are significantly different from all previous RR's.
I think these are likely The Best work-type folding knife you can buy. They may be others as good, but not better and likely they are much more expensive than the $50-$60 price range of the RRR's.
kj
Excellent review Roland. ::nod::

Dan
Dan
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

The Common Stock may become my new work knife--the screwdriver in work use is SO much more useful than a spey blade. I really like the HedgeHog as well. And, ironically, it will replace another big RR Stockman, which is my current "beater" work knife.

I said "NO MORE CHINESE", but since I don't think any other company will be doing something like the Common Stock, I may just pick it up.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

"They're baaaaack!" (#4)
I sent a message to my "Inside Information Informer" at smkw. He just informed me that the RRR006 picture will be sent to me next week.
I shall post it within aapk when received.

Dan
Dan
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Old Folder wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:41 pm
zed6309 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:48 am Dan I like that 8) going on its frame size I'm wondering how big the main blade is ? Got to be 3inches or under to be uk legal :? Thanks for sharing mate ::tu::
Your welcome Paul.
Unfortunately, the master blade length was not included, (yet) however, the largest RRR series knife was the Swell center Whittler (RRR003) which is 4.50" closed with a 3.25" master blade.
The new RRR008 is 4.25 closed, I'm guessing that the master blade will be at 3" max ::shrug::. Hopefully making it UK legal.

Dan
Thanks Dan ::tu::
Paul,

Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Large 4 1/4" stockmans are among my favorite knives. Made by Case, Camillus, Schrade (Chinese) and Queen their master clip blades are over 3". Offhand I remember they're 3 1/4" to 3 3/8". Since I have not handled a 4 1/4" stockman that did not have a blade over 3" I suggest that you get someone to measure the Common Stockman before importing it into a jurisdiction where over 3" blades are not legal. I would not rely on the length written in SMKW literature. I just bought a 4 1/2" Chinese Schrade Stockman. SMKW advertised its main blade is 3 1/2". It is actually 3 1/4". That did not please me buy it's not a big deal. I also bought a RR Workman series jack with a sheep's foot master. SMKW advertised its main blade is 2 1/2". It is actually 2 13/16". Since I bought it for areas where a law makes blades over 2 1/2" a felony it's unusable for its intended use.

I remember yellow Delrin RR Stockmans with 2 knife blades and a screw driver bottle opener in old SMKW ads. IIRC they were closer to the standard 4" length.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Okay I got my RRR004 Bar Back in the mail today. (Pic #1)

The knife is just as well made as any of the other knives in the series, but still IMO it is priced about 25% too high. I would rate it just like I have the other RRR series knives, there is nothing wrong with the craftsmanship. However this is not a knife I will use or carry. First off, this is possibly the strangest pocket knife in my collection.

If you have the drop point blade open for use (Pic #2) and as you hold it, one of your fingers is going to want to rest on the cap lifter of the "main blade." Depending on what I'm doing with the knife at that point I could hurt that finger. Also if that curve at the back end is for your little finger to rest on then the back end of the blade is going to hurt, I already found out.

When you open the main blade now you have a semi-circle to rest your pointer finger in, (Pic #3) don't slip or loose your grip or that finger will be right up on the edge of that blade. Again IMO you are better off with a utility/camping knife.

I am looking forward to getting the other knives in the series and I'm sure I will be pleased with them.
Attachments
20210213_095428.jpg
20210213_104914.jpg
20210213_104840.jpg
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Modern Slip Joints

David R.,

Thank-you for posting how the Bar Back feels in hand. I had not thought about the point of the bottle opener poking fingers or the other discomforts. I was slightly tempted to buy one but only because it will likely become a real oddity.

On the other hand the just revealed Common Stockman looks like a practical knife for my use. I will buy at least one. However, it appears to me that stockmans have declined in popularity leaving the market flooded with stockmans. While buyers scrambled to get other GEC models it took retailers at least a year and half to sell all their GEC Dixie Stockmans and over two years to sell their GEC 66 Stockmans. Consequently, I expect RRR Common Stockmans will be at retailers for quite a while. While having a Wharncliff as one of their blades helps, Muskrats are another unpopular style. Maybe they're even less popular than stockmans. In contrast I expect the RRR single blade lock back will sell out fast.
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

I have one question-- is David a crybaby for giving the bar back something other than an A1 review? I don't think so myself (thank you, David, for your honest opinion without judging). he's just giving his honest opinion.. there has been passive aggressive statements made to the contrary...
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The Bar Back is simply a stupid design. Design is everything in a folding knife. When the proportions and curves all flow together with perfect balance you have an instantly pleasing knife. The Bar Back has none of this and for function is design stupidity. It does not matter how well made it is. The design does not work and is actually dangerous to the user.
I think a sensibly designed RRR Stockman will sell well.
I really like my RRR Kayak.
kj
Edit to add: i just saw the picture Dan posted of the "Common Stock" knife. This guy's designs need to be better vetted before production starts. Why use the valuable space to put a cap lifter ? At least here in Canada all bottle tops can be twisted off by hand. Put a saw blade with a slot screw driver tip or an awl blade, not a no longer needed tool.
i will pass on it.
kj
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:50 am The Bar Back is simply a stupid design. Design is everything in a folding knife. When the proportions and curves all flow together with perfect balance you have an instantly pleasing knife. The Bar Back has none of this and for function is design stupidity. It does not matter how well made it is. The design does not work and is actually dangerous to the user.
kj
Edit to add: i just saw the picture Dan posted of the "Common Stock" knife. This guy's designs need to be better vetted before production starts. Why use the valuable space to put a cap lifter ? At least here in Canada all bottle tops can be twisted off by hand. Put a saw blade with a slot screw driver tip or an awl blade, not a no longer needed tool.
i will pass on it.
kj
Thank you, KJ, I appreciate your honest review/opinion.. Well said...
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Stanwade wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:04 am
kootenay joe wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:50 am The Bar Back is simply a stupid design. Design is everything in a folding knife. When the proportions and curves all flow together with perfect balance you have an instantly pleasing knife. The Bar Back has none of this and for function is design stupidity. It does not matter how well made it is. The design does not work and is actually dangerous to the user.
kj
i will pass on it.
kj
Thank you, KJ, I appreciate your honest review/opinion.. Well said...
Thanks KJ for the review, it's not a knife for me , the kayak works perfectly for me and fits in well in my daily edc , I'm not interested in any of the others , if they do a nice 2 blade barlow then I'm.in ::tu::
Paul,

Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

kj
i will pass on it.
kj
I think the Barback could be compared to this. :mrgreen:
Attachments
1485185337-14591586605-1a650a070e-o.jpg
Tim
Modern Slip Joints

Stanwade wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:48 am I have one question-- is David a crybaby for giving the bar back something other than an A1 review? I don't think so myself (thank you, David, for your honest opinion without judging). he's just giving his honest opinion.. there has been passive aggressive statements made to the contrary...
Since my reply was the only one in between David's and yours it was the only one you could have been calling "passive aggressive." Am I that bad of a writer? Either that or you need to read what I actually wrote. Read it literally and you'll have my honest opinion.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Most of the beer I drink requires an opener, but this one is not working for me.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Chinese-made knives”