It's back!!

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Stanwade

Re: It's back!!

Post by Stanwade »

I just ordered one from SMKW.. must have got more in..
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Beavertail wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:30 pm
TripleF wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:45 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:16 pm

Rough Ryder RR2181 Denim Micarta Work Knife.
Sold out on SMKW.
Chicago knifeworks still has them.
https://www.chicagoknifeworks.com/rough ... m-micarta/
Thank you! ::handshake:: ! I ordered one!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

TripleF wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:50 am Thank you! ::handshake:: ! I ordered one!
I can't imagine you not being pleased with it Scott. It's a good'un.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:05 pm
TripleF wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:50 am Thank you! ::handshake:: ! I ordered one!
I can't imagine you not being pleased with it Scott. It's a good'un.
Like Jerry said it's a good'un. ::tu::
Tim
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I'm anxious to check this one out. 3 pages and 33 posts so far about a Rough Ryder pattern. When does that ever happen?! :shock:

The owner of the brand obviously did something right. Looking forward to getting mine!
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Rick, I can only speak for myself but to me this one of the best patterns Rough Ryder produces.
The fit and finish on mine is perfect but others may vary.
A lot of people have compared it to the GEC viper 47, I think it's a direct knockoff of it but a whole lot less expensive.
I think You will like it and maybe you could do a review of it. ::handshake::
Tim
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Beavertail wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:34 pm Rick, I can only speak for myself but to me this one of the best patterns Rough Ryder produces.
A lot of people have compared it to the GEC viper 47, I think it's a direct knockoff of it but a whole lot less expensive.
Thanks Tim. I used to have a GEC Northfield Viper in Hemlock Jigged Bone. I sometimes miss that knife and that's probably why I'm so attracted to this one. I thought I better snatch one up before they go away again and I miss my chance.

It's been awhile since I've done a review on a knife. I'll honor your request after mine gets here. ::tu::
Rick T.

Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Railsplitter wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:07 pm
Beavertail wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:34 pm Rick, I can only speak for myself but to me this one of the best patterns Rough Ryder produces.
Thanks Tim. I used to have a GEC Northfield Viper in Hemlock Jigged Bone. I sometimes miss that knife and that's probably why I'm so attracted to this one. I thought I better snatch one up before they go away again and I miss my chance.

It's been awhile since I've done a review on a knife. I'll honor your request after mine gets here. ::tu::
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it since you've owned a Viper and you can tell the similarities and differences between them. ::tu::
Tim
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

It's IN. I just got mine delivered. Now I know that some smarter knife folks than me are going to give us some good technical reviews on this knife, but I'll give my quick and simple opinion. The knife looks great, it feels comfortable in my hand and it's not too heavy for the size and material. On mine every seam is a perfect match and the finish on all the surfaces is very impressive. Along with my similar style and size Kershaw it will be a very good EDC. Waiting to hear what everyone else thinks when they get theirs.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Thanks for the feedback David!

I just got my shipping notice! Woohoo! Dang, I feel like I just bought a new Buck knife! ::ds::
Rick T.

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Mine just arrived today. Overall I’m very pleased but I’ll add some Pros and Cons comments below for anybody who might care to read them.

Pros:
The walk and talk is absolutely superb. Blade pull is a very comfortable 6 on a scale of 1-10 and the blade is easy to pinch open. I do not need to use the nail nick but I’m glad it’s there because it gives me a place to dig some thumb meat into when opening the blade.

No blade blay in any direction. Not even at the half stop position.

Blade is not perfectly centered but it’s certainly close enough for me. The blade clears both liners and does not rub.

Back spring is virtually gap free. I can find hairline gaps up near the bolster but they are so minor that they are almost not worth mentioning.

Blade grinds are well done and the swedge appears almost perfectly even on both sides. The triple threaded bolsters are also well executed.

Bolster pins are well masked but I can just barely see the pin on the mark side bolster. I can’t see the pin on the pile side at all.

Lanyard tube is nicely done with no gaps or cracks surrounding it.

Cons:
The blade is not as sharp out of the box as I’ve become accustomed to with the Rough Ryder brand. It looks good but the edge is going to need a little work before I put the knife to use. I’ve never had a RR knife that required that kind of comment about the edge. Not only were the other RR’s I’ve owned sharp enough to use out of the box but the edges were downright scary sharp. I can’t say that about this knife.

The sharp corners of the tang stick up a little too high for my liking when the knife is closed. I’ve actually never had a knife tear a hole in my pocket due to this feature but I do worry about it when it sticks up this high and the corners are sharp like they are on my example.

I’ll let my pics do the rest of the talking but overall I would give this knife an 8 out of 10. I’m delighted to own it.

I almost forgot to mention: The GEC #47 Viper that I used to have was an exceptional knife and this one is very similar in design. I would rather own a knife made in the USA but when I hold this Rough Ryder in my hands and also consider the price, I have no desire to seek out another GEC Viper. This Rough Ryder is plenty good enough for me.
It hurt a little bit to type that but it’s the truth.
Attachments
IMG_5518.JPG
IMG_5519.JPG
IMG_5522.JPG
IMG_5523.JPG
IMG_5524.JPG
IMG_5525.JPG
IMG_5526.JPG
Rick T.

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Mine arrived the other day..the scales feel rough, there is a little side play when fully open and as stated in the last post-- not hair popping sharp like other Rough Ryders I've purchased (6-8 total).. not too bad for a $18 knife.. like I said before, IMHO, these knives DO NOT rival most U.S.A. made knives..
Ryan

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Both Ryan and Rick, thank you for your excellent reviews.
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

No problem QS!🤝just my honest opinion.. don't get me wrong, I really like it, just a few tiny issues...
Ryan

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I don't expect it to happen, but I for one would enjoy seeing many more knife reviews by our members.
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Railsplitter wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:31 pm Mine just arrived today. Overall I’m very pleased but I’ll add some Pros and Cons comments below for anybody who might care to read them.

Pros:
The walk and talk is absolutely superb. Blade pull is a very comfortable 6 on a scale of 1-10 and the blade is easy to pinch open. I do not need to use the nail nick but I’m glad it’s there because it gives me a place to dig some thumb meat into when opening the blade.

No blade blay in any direction. Not even at the half stop position.

Blade is not perfectly centered but it’s certainly close enough for me. The blade clears both liners and does not rub.

Back spring is virtually gap free. I can find hairline gaps up near the bolster but they are so minor that they are almost not worth mentioning.

Blade grinds are well done and the swedge appears almost perfectly even on both sides. The triple threaded bolsters are also well executed.

Bolster pins are well masked but I can just barely see the pin on the mark side bolster. I can’t see the pin on the pile side at all.

Lanyard tube is nicely done with no gaps or cracks surrounding it.

Cons:
The blade is not as sharp out of the box as I’ve become accustomed to with the Rough Ryder brand. It looks good but the edge is going to need a little work before I put the knife to use. I’ve never had a RR knife that required that kind of comment about the edge. Not only were the other RR’s I’ve owned sharp enough to use out of the box but the edges were downright scary sharp. I can’t say that about this knife.

The sharp corners of the tang stick up a little too high for my liking when the knife is closed. I’ve actually never had a knife tear a hole in my pocket due to this feature but I do worry about it when it sticks up this high and the corners are sharp like they are on my example.

I’ll let my pics do the rest of the talking but overall I would give this knife an 8 out of 10. I’m delighted to own it.

I almost forgot to mention: The GEC #47 Viper that I used to have was an exceptional knife and this one is very similar in design. I would rather own a knife made in the USA but when I hold this Rough Ryder in my hands and also consider the price, I have no desire to seek out another GEC Viper. This Rough Ryder is plenty good enough for me.
It hurt a little bit to type that but it’s the truth.
Thanks for the review! ::tu:: ::handshake::
Tim
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Beavertail wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:30 pm Thanks for the review! ::tu:: ::handshake::
You're welcome Tim. ::tu::
Rick T.

Return to “Chinese-made knives”