A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
OSCAR

Re: New member

Post by OSCAR »

New Member: You’re hooked. No question about it. I too have many Rough Riders. I admire the quality at great prices. However, as collectibles, they are unlikely to ever appreciate much if any. I collect for my own self. My appreciation of cutlery. And Rough Riders are awesome. But, the majority of my collection centers on American made as well as European. As well made as Rough Rider is, look at it alongside a vintage Schlatt & Morgan, Camillus, Case, Kabar etc. This is Not to say you should not collect Chinese made knives.
Just understand that value wise, the appreciation isn’t there. Also, if you appreciate quality, look at the Chinese made knives at AG Russell. They are more expensive, also not as likely to increase in value but made as well as ANY cutlery made anywhere.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
TPK

Post by TPK »

Hello and welcome Louisville.Boy1947. I have one Case and one Rough Rider. Please slow down or I will never catch up with you. :mrgreen:

Tom

Ooops, make that 2 Cases. ::dang::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

TPK,,,, Welcome to the addiction! I can remember when I had just a few knives starting out.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

Oscar, I agree. I collect Case and Rough Rider knives because I like them, just like I like antique tools, antique telephone s, firearms, diamond rings, and old coins. I never started collecting anything because I thought it would appreciate in value (I don't have enough money to a serous collector of anything). I collect just for the enjoyment of the beauty I find in the item, just like I enjoy the beauty of building the storage cabinets that house my knives. I totally agree with your assessment as far the potential value appreciation. My knives are are carried on a regular basis for their enjoyment. :D
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

79015F93-A828-40A4-A863-DF1B36A88ED0.jpeg
Louisvilleboy: I agree 100% They can be works of art. If I could afford it I’d buy this. Not as an investment, but for me to admire. At 20 thousand, it’s out of my league. I’ll stick with factory made knives :(
Attachments
8C8B672B-5206-4B8E-AD3A-55EE6C5007FB.jpeg
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Thanks for obtaining a spreadsheet on Rough Riders. I look forward to the rest of that information. The main negative to that brand IS the number of knives produced. Even when a major company produces collectibles, they seem to make too many. Since that affects the appreciation, I buy what I like. I’m not really looking at them as an investment. Ironically, I got some years ago that have gone way up. But that’s not an issue. I have no plans to sell any of them.
TPK

Post by TPK »

OSCAR wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:20 pm 79015F93-A828-40A4-A863-DF1B36A88ED0.jpegLouisvilleboy: I agree 100% They can be works of art. If I could afford it I’d buy this. Not as an investment, but for me to admire. At 20 thousand, it’s out of my league. I’ll stick with factory made knives :(

Well thats good to know OSCAR. If I ever have two of those, I'll give you one. ::handshake:: :mrgreen:

Tom

OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Thanks Tom, if I ever win the lottery, I’ll get two and give you one. ::groove::
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

The spreadsheet is great. It would be nice if a downloaded able file or PDF. at least not with my Chrome browser, unless I'm missing something? Thanks for your hard work.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Louisville.Boy1947 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:01 pm Hi Everyone,
I am a new member of the forum. I look forward to participating in great discussions. Although I am new at collecting slipjoint knives, I have been able to acquire a listing or resource that I hope will be of benefit to those that collect Rough Rider knives. I have sent the administrator a spreadsheet that I am in hopes he will be able to post the spreadsheet so everyone can have this resource. I believe it lists all Rough Rider knives that have been sold by SMKW. I contacted them and explained that I was doing research and Mr. Pipes was kind enough to have his staff prepare a spreadsheet that listed by date sold all RR knives. The listing has the RR number or item number, year first sold, a description of the type knife (barlow, whittler, canoe, etc.), number of blades, length of blades, length of knife closed, handle material, color, etc. I do not know if the administrator will post the spreadsheet in this section of the forum or elsewhere, but I do hope it gets posted. The spreadsheet is in "OpenOffice format" but should be accessible to those that use 'Excel".
Although new to collecting knives, I have been able to acquire 30 Case and 36 Rough Rider knives in the last couple months. I enjoy reading your post about knives you have. Hopefully, I will be able to make a meaningful contribution in the future. :D
Welcome Louisvilleboy! I’m your neighbor, straight down I-65 in Allen County. With you up there, me down here, and Philco to the East, we pretty much have this place surrounded! Welcome aboard!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
TPK

Post by TPK »

OSCAR wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:54 am Thanks Tom, if I ever win the lottery, I’ll get two and give you one. ::groove::
It's a deal! ::handshake::

Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

Just an update....the administrator advised he has a full plate (no disrespect is meant and I say this only to inform, not to complain) and may not be able to to correct the missing data missing from the spreadsheet in the link that I previously referenced for Rough Rider knives. If and when time allows he hopes to address getting all of data from the spread sheet to transfer to the system link . I do not think he has intention of adding the link or the spread sheet to the "Research" section of the forum, so unless anyone that is looking for this information will not be able to access it unless they know about the link I posted in this section of Chinese Factory Manufactured Knives.

If anyone wants a downloadable file with this spread sheet, they can send me a PM with their email address and I will send them a copy as I have done for others.

(My prior post is here for reference
Here is the link the administrator gave me so you can access the spread sheet of information on Rough Rider knives. I hope it is useful to those that collect RR knives. Thanks go out to Mr. Pipes at SMKW for getting his staff to prepare this spread sheet.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/pa ... dsheet.htm

This link only has a portion of the information submitted. It eliminated one of the most important columns that gave info on length of knife closed, in some cases additional info on the shield, etc. I have contacted the administrator to try to get the complete file posted. During the interim, if anyone wants the complete file in "OpenOffice" format, you can PM me with your email address and I will send you the complete file.)

Return to “Chinese-made knives”