A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

Hi Everyone,
I am a new member of the forum. I look forward to participating in great discussions. Although I am new at collecting slipjoint knives, I have been able to acquire a listing or resource that I hope will be of benefit to those that collect Rough Rider knives. I have sent the administrator a spreadsheet that I am in hopes he will be able to post the spreadsheet so everyone can have this resource. I believe it lists all Rough Rider knives that have been sold by SMKW. I contacted them and explained that I was doing research and Mr. Pipes was kind enough to have his staff prepare a spreadsheet that listed by date sold all RR knives. The listing has the RR number or item number, year first sold, a description of the type knife (barlow, whittler, canoe, etc.), number of blades, length of blades, length of knife closed, handle material, color, etc. I do not know if the administrator will post the spreadsheet in this section of the forum or elsewhere, but I do hope it gets posted. The spreadsheet is in "OpenOffice format" but should be accessible to those that use 'Excel".
Although new to collecting knives, I have been able to acquire 30 Case and 36 Rough Rider knives in the last couple months. I enjoy reading your post about knives you have. Hopefully, I will be able to make a meaningful contribution in the future. :D
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: New member

Post by Quick Steel »

Welcome aboard sir. ::handshake:: Hope you will post some photos of your knives from time to time.
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

WELCOME TO AAPK !!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to have you aboard. Wow !!! If you've purchased 66 knives in the last couple months, you are galloping ahead of most of us. ::tu::

Joe D.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Welcome to AAPK! ::welcome::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Glad to have you here. Thanks for bringing and sharing your work!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Welcome to AAPK
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Welcome my friend. Looks like you're done for, the addiction has got hold of you. ::handshake:: ::tu:: :wink:
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Welcome aboard! I hope to see that spreadsheet. I didn’t see if you are including number of knives produced or not? I would be surprised if Kevin would let that information out, but it would be great information to have.
Post some pictures of your knives.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Louisville.Boy1947

[attach
thumbnail_IMG_2316.knife.chest.jpg
ment=1]thumbnail_IMG_2385knives.cases.1.jpg[/attachment]
Hopefully these pictures come thru showing the cobbled together effort to make storage cases/chest for my knife collection These are not all of my knives as these pictures are several weeks old. The one storage case is three tier, while the other is only 2 tier. The chest is used for the few non-slipjoint knives (fixed blade) and the original boxes that came with the new knives. I also use the chest to store my lansky sharpener, wiping clothes, etc.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_2385knives.cases.1.jpg
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Welcome from Indiana.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Welcome and knice set up. ::handshake::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Howdy Louisville.Boy1947, ::welcome:: to AAPK! Nice looking storage cabinets, looks like you are all set to feed your new addiction. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Cletus Awreetus

Post by Cletus Awreetus »

I don't know boys, from the looks of that beautiful storage chest and collection I'd say we got us a ringer here! haha
welcome Louisville. ::tu::
-the problem with society today is, no one drinks from the skulls of their dead enemies anymore..-
Louisville.Boy1947

No ringer here. Just an old retired Louisvillian (KY) that enjoys woodworking. I still have not heard from the administrator where he/she will be posting the spreadsheet on the RR knives. Kevin did not provide any info on the number of each item/model sold. Anyone else from Louisville on the forum?
Louisville.Boy1947

Here is the link the administrator gave me so you can access the spread sheet of information on Rough Rider knives. I hope it is useful to those that collect RR knives. Thanks go out to Mr. Pipes at SMKW for getting his staff to prepare this spread sheet.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/pa ... dsheet.htm

UPDATE
This link only has a portion of the information submitted. It eliminated one of the most important columns that gave info on length of knife closed, in some cases additional info on the shield, etc. I have contacted the administrator to try to get the complete file posted. During the interim, if anyone wants the complete file in "OpenOffice" format, you can PM me with your email address and I will send you the complete file.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

New Member: You’re hooked. No question about it. I too have many Rough Riders. I admire the quality at great prices. However, as collectibles, they are unlikely to ever appreciate much if any. I collect for my own self. My appreciation of cutlery. And Rough Riders are awesome. But, the majority of my collection centers on American made as well as European. As well made as Rough Rider is, look at it alongside a vintage Schlatt & Morgan, Camillus, Case, Kabar etc. This is Not to say you should not collect Chinese made knives.
Just understand that value wise, the appreciation isn’t there. Also, if you appreciate quality, look at the Chinese made knives at AG Russell. They are more expensive, also not as likely to increase in value but made as well as ANY cutlery made anywhere.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
TPK

Post by TPK »

Hello and welcome Louisville.Boy1947. I have one Case and one Rough Rider. Please slow down or I will never catch up with you. :mrgreen:

Tom

Ooops, make that 2 Cases. ::dang::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

TPK,,,, Welcome to the addiction! I can remember when I had just a few knives starting out.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Louisville.Boy1947

Oscar, I agree. I collect Case and Rough Rider knives because I like them, just like I like antique tools, antique telephone s, firearms, diamond rings, and old coins. I never started collecting anything because I thought it would appreciate in value (I don't have enough money to a serous collector of anything). I collect just for the enjoyment of the beauty I find in the item, just like I enjoy the beauty of building the storage cabinets that house my knives. I totally agree with your assessment as far the potential value appreciation. My knives are are carried on a regular basis for their enjoyment. :D
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

79015F93-A828-40A4-A863-DF1B36A88ED0.jpeg
Louisvilleboy: I agree 100% They can be works of art. If I could afford it I’d buy this. Not as an investment, but for me to admire. At 20 thousand, it’s out of my league. I’ll stick with factory made knives :(
Attachments
8C8B672B-5206-4B8E-AD3A-55EE6C5007FB.jpeg
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Thanks for obtaining a spreadsheet on Rough Riders. I look forward to the rest of that information. The main negative to that brand IS the number of knives produced. Even when a major company produces collectibles, they seem to make too many. Since that affects the appreciation, I buy what I like. I’m not really looking at them as an investment. Ironically, I got some years ago that have gone way up. But that’s not an issue. I have no plans to sell any of them.
TPK

Post by TPK »

OSCAR wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:20 pm 79015F93-A828-40A4-A863-DF1B36A88ED0.jpegLouisvilleboy: I agree 100% They can be works of art. If I could afford it I’d buy this. Not as an investment, but for me to admire. At 20 thousand, it’s out of my league. I’ll stick with factory made knives :(

Well thats good to know OSCAR. If I ever have two of those, I'll give you one. ::handshake:: :mrgreen:

Tom
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Thanks Tom, if I ever win the lottery, I’ll get two and give you one. ::groove::
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

The spreadsheet is great. It would be nice if a downloaded able file or PDF. at least not with my Chrome browser, unless I'm missing something? Thanks for your hard work.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Louisville.Boy1947 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:01 pm Hi Everyone,
I am a new member of the forum. I look forward to participating in great discussions. Although I am new at collecting slipjoint knives, I have been able to acquire a listing or resource that I hope will be of benefit to those that collect Rough Rider knives. I have sent the administrator a spreadsheet that I am in hopes he will be able to post the spreadsheet so everyone can have this resource. I believe it lists all Rough Rider knives that have been sold by SMKW. I contacted them and explained that I was doing research and Mr. Pipes was kind enough to have his staff prepare a spreadsheet that listed by date sold all RR knives. The listing has the RR number or item number, year first sold, a description of the type knife (barlow, whittler, canoe, etc.), number of blades, length of blades, length of knife closed, handle material, color, etc. I do not know if the administrator will post the spreadsheet in this section of the forum or elsewhere, but I do hope it gets posted. The spreadsheet is in "OpenOffice format" but should be accessible to those that use 'Excel".
Although new to collecting knives, I have been able to acquire 30 Case and 36 Rough Rider knives in the last couple months. I enjoy reading your post about knives you have. Hopefully, I will be able to make a meaningful contribution in the future. :D
Welcome Louisvilleboy! I’m your neighbor, straight down I-65 in Allen County. With you up there, me down here, and Philco to the East, we pretty much have this place surrounded! Welcome aboard!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

Return to “Chinese-made knives”