Cloisonne Folder Info?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
restoreguy

Cloisonne Folder Info?

Post by restoreguy »

I was doing some work on this knife for someone I know, and was seeing what kind of information anyone has on the tang stamp. The characters seem to translate to "Stainless Steel", which seems odd to me since modern knives seem to have their country written in English if they're foreign blades.

I'm already advised it could just be a (cheap) labor intensive trinket for novelty purposes. But if anyone has come across these and has any info, especially regarding the crossed hammer tang mark, it'd be appreciated.
Attachments
20190727_151910.jpg
20190721_174748.jpg
20190721_175004.jpg
kootenay joe

Re: Cloisonne Folder Info?

Post by kootenay joe »

You already posted this in another forum. I replied to it a couple of days ago. It is better to have one thread and keep it going than to start over again with a new thread.
kj
restoreguy

Post by restoreguy »

kootenay joe wrote:You already posted this in another forum. I replied to it a couple of days ago. It is better to have one thread and keep it going than to start over again with a new thread.
kj
I took someone else's advice to try out a more specialized forum that might possibly have a little extra tidbit of information. But I'll keep your opinion in mind, thanks.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

restoreguy wrote:
kootenay joe wrote:You already posted this in another forum. I replied to it a couple of days ago. It is better to have one thread and keep it going than to start over again with a new thread.
kj
I took someone else's advice to try out a more specialized forum that might possibly have a little extra tidbit of information. But I'll keep your opinion in mind, thanks.
Don't lose any sleep over it. ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’m no expert on the subject but those Chinese characters (symbols) are used in Asian languages other than Chinese, so it’s possible the knife could be of Japanese origin, or some other country. The Japanese are quite skilled at fine artwork like that appearing on your knife, and from the looks of its age I would not be surprised if it was Japanese.

If you know someone of Asian origin in your area they may be able to tell you what the stamp says. I have both Japanese and Chinese friends, and although the languages are different they can usually interpret what the written symbols say in either language.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Interesting little knife, but the handles are not cloisonne. They are champleve which is a much more simple and cheap means of enamel decoration. In cloisonne the cells are made up of individual fine wires and the work is much more detailed. In champleve the item has the pattern stamped or acid etched into it and then filled with enamel. In cloisonne the design is made of fine wires laid on a background and then filled with powdered enamel and fired. True cloisonne work is much more delicate of lines and much nicer to behold than the cheaper champleve.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Gunsil. Not my thread but i have 2 of these little knives. They are attractive but construction shows that they are not the work of a master craftsman and so 'cloisonne' work seemed 'out of place'. Your description of a cheaper way to get this effect fits the rest of the knife.
kj
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Your thoughts were correct Roland. Cloisonne would never have the "fuzzy" appearance of the lines in the knife in question, and the colors would be more vibrant simply because a cloisonne artist would use better enamels. The work on this knife is tourist grade for sure, there is better quality champleve work made. I think it was likely a tourist knife made for sale in China therefore it would not need a country of origin mark.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Tourist knife for sale in China is certainly the most likely origin. That said, it is a bright attractive little knife that is the right size to be on a key chain, small but big enough to help you fish your keys out of a pocket. If i was a tourist in China and saw these i am sure i would have bought at least one of them.
kj

Return to “Chinese-made knives”