chinese knife / japanese? taiwan???? pocket knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
p.reid

chinese knife / japanese? taiwan???? pocket knife

Post by p.reid »

Hi guys
have a large 11.5cm folded up, well made asian pocket knife , only markings are on the black plactic grips , anyone seen any stamp like it .
first time on here so hope ive posted corect spot
cheers
phil
Attachments
P6100001.JPG
P6100002.JPG
P6100003.JPG
P6100012.JPG
P6100014.JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: chinese knife / japanese? taiwan???? pocket knife

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

p.reid wrote:Hi guys
have a large 11.5cm folded up, well made asian pocket knife , only markings are on the black plactic grips , anyone seen any stamp like it .
first time on here so hope ive posted corect spot
cheers
phil

Phil, I hate to tell you that you probably have a tourist knife. Don’t know how sharp or well made the blades are. They seem to be knives like you would see onboard a ship for cutting rope. The two smaller blades are unusual in that knives like this usually just have the one or two primary blades. This might be a nicer version of one. Maybe the two smaller blades make them more attractive to tourist.
The pin sticking out on the primary bolster, tells me it’s probably been rehandled or blades were changed or repaired.
Not a high value here, I’m afraid
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think it is Russian. I have had a few similar knives. Soviet era workmanship is rather rough.
Eustace who lives in Bulgaria would know for sure. Hope he sees this thread.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I sent Eustace a PM asking him to please have a look at this knife. If it is from Russia or Eastern Europe, he will know.
kj
p.reid

Post by p.reid »

thanks guys , was more interested in trying to find out who the markings on the handles related to/trade mark as they look to be chinese or japanese characters , its a heavy goodsized pocket knife and 20cm , thought tourist blades would have been marked china, japan or taiwain , japan to blade ?i thought it might be navu but no marlin spike ?im still learning , more a a bayonet guy but thought this was interesting
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Not a tourist item. It is a large, clunky, roughly made factory knife intended for the domestic market. The markings might look Chinese to those of us who know nothing about Chinese characters but either way it may not indicate much. Knife companies have used about every symbol imaginable for their branding.
kj
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Chinese. The blades will not hold an edge; or even come close to anything sharp; which is a shame; as I actually quite like this pattern. At least I only paid $8 for it.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Cody, did you buy this from P. Reid, the guy who posted it ?
kj
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Hieroglyphs are Chinese

Sky - 天 (tian)
The second is not visible.
Just do not think I know Chinese :lol:
MT-Vessel

Post by MT-Vessel »

My constant companion, Google, has lead me to agree with Eustace. The first symbol is a Chinese character for, “sky.” The second may combine with the first to mean, “heaven.” Oddly, Japanese symbols/characters are similar....
MT-Vessel
(Not Asian nor an expert ::shrug:: )
Empty vessels make the most noise...
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

kootenay joe wrote:Cody, did you buy this from P. Reid, the guy who posted it ?
kj

There was a seller on Etsy with a bunch of them for pretty much nothing. My handles are different, however. Mine have a diamond instead of the Chinese characters.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/462975437/ ... ectricians
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Yes, the Hieroglyphs are Chinese.
I consulted my wife who speaks and reads numerous Asian languages. She has helped in the past with Asian cutlery within AAPK and is fun to get her involved.
The top "emblem" is a "logo," not a Hieroglyph. It is a manufacturer logo such as...Nike, Toyota, Case, etc.
The second emblem is the City of "Tagine" China which is located behind the capital city of "Beijing" However, you will not be able to obtain the location of the city of "Tagine." ::paranoid::
"Tagine" currently manufacturers beautiful pottery, no cutlery items. They are mostly sold through "Alibaba" which is the equivalent to our "Amazon"
I can not see any markings on the blades, therefore I do not believe it was a knife to be exported.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow, you guys & wives are smart. I am serious. To locate the actual city associated with amazes me.
There are similar old Soviet Russian knives that are similar. Maybe they imported them from China ? or had similarly shoddy factories ?
kj
p.reid

Post by p.reid »

Awesome gents (and ladies) , this ones got a bit of age to it so patterns been around for a bit then , interesting if russians manufactered similar and possibly its where pattern may have first come from
Many thanks
Phi
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Russia & China share a few thousand ? miles of border. Likely they did plenty of commerce in each other's country especially during the long Soviet reign.
kj

Return to “Chinese-made knives”