The,"SABRE SKELETON".......

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
knife7knut

The,"SABRE SKELETON".......

Post by knife7knut »

A couple weeks ago I was at the flea market and a woman who was set up outside had this in the bottom of a box of "knives of lesser quality". It looked interesting but both handles were broken and some pieces of them were missing entirely. When I mentioned that it was too bad it was in such bad repair she wound up giving it to me. I of course immediately gave her a penny and told her the tradition of giving a coin when presented with a knife.
It had been sitting on my work bench ever since and the other day I decided to repair it. Went down to the local building supply shop and got a small piece of 1/8th inch Plexiglas for a couple bucks and proceeded to make some new handles.Ground off the heads of the rivets on one side and drove them out with a small punch. Traced what remained of the handles and transferred it onto the Plexiglas.Measuring the rivet diameter I selected a drill bit and put it in my Exacto hand drill and clamping the old piece of handle to two layers of Plexiglas carefully drilled out the new rivet holes. I find that if you use a hand drill you will have less chance of the plastic cracking. After making sure that everything fit together properly I ground the handles to their almost final shape(still clamped together)and fitted them to the blade,back spring and rocker lock. I finished the bevels with a file and 320 grit sandpaper and polished them with Mother's Mag Wheel Polish.
On final assembly I noticed the blade had some side to side play so I VERY gently tapped the pivot pin with a hammer against the flat on my vise. I was afraid I would crack the handles if I hammered too much. Not leaving well enough alone I decided to firm up all the rivets and while doing one of the rear ones cracked the handle! ::dang:: I decided to leave it as is for now and maybe make another handle at some future date.
The finished knife is nothing valuable to be sure but kind of a unique piece and unique is what I like.
Attachments
SabreSkeletonKnifeFree 001.jpg
SabreSkeletonKnifeFree 002.jpg
SabreSkeletonKnifeFree 003.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
KleenCut61

Re: The,"SABRE SKELETON".......

Post by KleenCut61 »

Different :shock: Not Crazy about the Covers , Would have looked more modern with some Acrillic or G10 , plastic just looks too clear, nice knife thought ,Good Job !__ K.C. ::hmm::
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

KleenCut61 wrote:Different :shock: Not Crazy about the Covers , Would have looked more modern with some Acrillic or G10 , plastic just looks too clear, nice knife thought ,Good Job !__ K.C. ::hmm::
The reason I put the clear covers on it was that was what was on there originally;hence the skeleton name.Reminds me a bit of the old Buck 110 salesman's sample knives with the clear handles. I had thought of putting a colored plastic handle on the back side to bring out the interior details a bit more.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I like it! I've always been intrigued by the clear scale knives that show the guts of the knife itself and how the lock works.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Cool job. Just looking at it explains everything. ::tu:: ::tu::
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Sure Enough ::tu:: .Even a slight tint In The Clear would have highlighted the Mechanicals 10x.. Still a cool lockback ::tu:: __K.C.

Return to “Chinese-made knives”