The Second Best Chinese Made Knife I've Held In My Hand

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The Second Best Chinese Made Knife I've Held In My Hand

Post by jerryd6818 »

Note the qualification "held in my hand."

First was an A.G.Russell Curved Regular Jack that I won on Collector Knives Forum back in 2011, in a give away by our very own (now) Railsplitter. Regrettable, I've since traded it off but that was the finest Chinese knife I've ever handled and maybe the best traditional folding knife I've ever handled.
Collector Knives Forum Post - Winner.jpg
AG Russell Curved Regular Jack - Traded Off.jpg
Just bought this Klaas for two reasons. First one was to fill a hole in one of my knife storage folders. Second was because I was entranced by the profile of the secondary blade. Sooooo when it came I started looking it over and much to my surprised pleasure, it's a very well made knife. Hafting is smooth and flows from handle to bolster as smooth as a baby's butt. Run up is better than a $100+ GEC and almost as good as the A.G.Russell. Both blades are nicely centered. Snap was just a skosh less than I would like to see it so I gave it a couple of drops of Quick Release. Snap got better but it also brough out that bumpy road feeling during the blade travel. After letting it sit, most of that has gone away. ::shrug::

I don't have a feel for how it would be after being put to work for a while but the blades are nice and sharp and my initial impression is very positive.
Attachments
Klaas KC6218BR Mini Trapper - Mark Open.JPG
0614181703.jpg
0614181659.jpg
0614181700.jpg
0614181720.jpg
Klaas KC6218BR Mini Trapper - Mark Closed.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
sunknife

Re: The Second Best Chinese Made Knife I've Held In My Hand

Post by sunknife »

Jerry, that Klaas is a fine looking knife as is the A.G. Russell, good review as well. I've been looking at that same Klaas in a copperhead pattern, good looking bone and the price is right so I may have to get one soon.
Greg
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

That's a fine looking Klaas, Jerry. Thanks for the review.

I forgot all about that A.G. Russell but I remember it now that you mentioned it. I recognize that pic too. ::handshake::
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I began buying some of the Chinese Kissing Crane/Klass knives a few years ago. Every one is right on in all aspects and shaving sharp as well.
The very best China made knives i have are the 8 annual Texas Ranger folders from AGR from about 2008-2015. The precision is as perfect as the best custom folders. Get one if you ever have a chance.
kj
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Quality doesn't have an address - it can be found anywhere that people care enough to create it. :)
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Rick, at that time in my life, I would have told anyone who would have stood still long enough to listen (and there were very few at that point in time) that the A.G. Russell was a high quality knife BUT I couldn't get past the "China" stamped on the blade. Passing it on is one of many regrets I have.

Sunknife, if the Copperhead is anything like the Mini-Trapper, you'll be happy with it.

Suitcase, ::tu:: .
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Thanks for the review, Jerry! Nice to read that Klaas is selling a good product. I have two Klaas pocket knives from China. One is very good in every way. One is a bit so so. Reading your review made me pull my good one out and drop in my pocket.

It is kind of funny that you say you could not abide the China stamped on the A G Russell. I have a couple of Russell China knives and they are very good. Those knives make me respect Russell more than most other knife makers because they have China stamped on the tang. It would have been easy for Russell to stencil the word China on the blade, or as in the case of my Klaas knife, put a very small sticker on the box and no indication of origin at all on the knife itself. Russell has stamped the blades forever, and I admire his honesty.
Mel
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

jerryd6818 wrote:Rick, at that time in my life, I would have told anyone who would have stood still long enough to listen (and there were very few at that point in time) that the A.G. Russell was a high quality knife BUT I couldn't get past the "China" stamped on the blade. Passing it on is one of many regrets I have.

Sunknife, if the Copperhead is anything like the Mini-Trapper, you'll be happy with it.

Suitcase, ::tu:: .
It's funny you should mention that, Jerry because I was the same way not all that long ago. I parted with that knife because it was just a little too big for me but I humbly admit to not being able to get past the China thing. I never minded owning China made knives but I flat out refused to put one in my pocket. In fact, it had to be Made in the U.S.A. to earn pocket status.

It has only been a little over one year since I admitted to myself that I'm depriving myself of some very well made knives that deserve pocket time as much as any other knife. It was an A.G. Russell Gentleman's Pen knife that changed my perspective. I haven't branched out too much outside of the A.G. Russell brand but man, he sure does make some good knives. Like Roland mentioned, they are dang near custom quality.

I have several of A.G.'s China made knives now and I'm no longer reluctant to drop one in my pocket when the mood strikes me. I definitely understand where you're coming from because I was the same way. Glad I snapped out of it though.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Phil Gibbs

Post by Phil Gibbs »

Dinadan wrote:Thanks for the review, Jerry! Nice to read that Klaas is selling a good product. I have two Klaas pocket knives from China. One is very good in every way. One is a bit so so. Reading your review made me pull my good one out and drop in my pocket.

It is kind of funny that you say you could not abide the China stamped on the A G Russell. I have a couple of Russell China knives and they are very good. Those knives make me respect Russell more than most other knife makers because they have China stamped on the tang. It would have been easy for Russell to stencil the word China on the blade, or as in the case of my Klaas knife, put a very small sticker on the box and no indication of origin at all on the knife itself. Russell has stamped the blades forever, and I admire his honesty.
AG spent a lot of time teaching our Chinese Makers what he needed for quality. He is proud of their accomplishments. All of his knives have always been proudly marked with the country of origin.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Phil, I don't know if you will stop back by or not but if you do, is there anything you can tell me about a Camillus 53. Three inch Dogleg Jack that was probably made before you went to work for them. Late '50s - early '60s maybe.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:Quality doesn't have an address - it can be found anywhere that people care enough to create it. :)
In reviewing this thread TFL I found this statement of yours back on Jun 15. Some of us have been adding to a thread on quotations and it strikes me that your words are fully deserving of being quoted wide and far. Very nicely put. ::nod::
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

WOW, am I late to the party..... ::shrug::

Beauty of a knife bro! Glad you're happy!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Many of the "Made in China" knives are the result of American businesses who own the rights to old now defunct brand names. The China connection is only part of the origin of these knives. Other than the manufacturing, Americans are employed in all the stages from design to marketing & shipping.
My point is that by buying a Kissing Crane made in China you are supporting an American business that employs Americans.
kj

Return to “Chinese-made knives”