Roper Knives?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Roper Knives?

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I noticed AG Russell is selling a brand of imported knives from China named "Roper Knives". Are they just another Frost Cutlery brand? Anyone have experience with them?

Another question: is there a list somewhere of all Frost Cutlery brands? The brand list at http://www.frostcutlery.com/ shows some brands that I know are not owned by Frost, like Case, Kershaw & Buck. That's rather annoying...
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Nev52

Re: Roper Knives?

Post by Nev52 »

I found this old post so I thought I would use this to post. I was at Farm supply store in Maryland and noticed this knife. The box is what caught my eye. Roper knives American Buffalo Knife and Tool. 1065 steel blades. There are no China markings on the box or knife. Wow a liner lock for $18.00 and made in the USA!! So, I buy it Fit and finish great locks up tight. I get home and put in Roper knives on the computer, it is made in China :shock: I have nothing against China knives .But from the boxing I thought made in USA. I did it again impulse buys always get me in trouble. ::dang:: :oops:

Nev
roper box.jpg
roper.jpg
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

I know nothing about the knife but 18.00 seems reasonable for good sturdy user :D
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I thought Roper, like Cinch, was a branded line from a clothing company (but unlike Cinch's line, not made by Boker). It's not, however.

Boker's range of Boker Plus for Moore Maker is 1065, so despite my own qualms, it has to be good for knives. It's usually not seen on anything smaller than axes or machetes.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

A good knife is a good knife! It might not be what you prefer (I also prefer good American-made cutlery), but it is exactly what it appears to be: a tool to be used.
Use it, sell it, or trade it. You seem to have gotten a great deal on it, so you can't really go wrong!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Reverand wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:08 am A good knife is a good knife! It might not be what you prefer (I also prefer good American-made cutlery), but it is exactly what it appears to be: a tool to be used.
Use it, sell it, or trade it. You seem to have gotten a great deal on it, so you can't really go wrong!
It's always a surprise when I have a cheap knife that came in a lot (or the POS Exchange) actually ends up being a solid user.

I've recently been carrying a Smith and Wesson Baby SWAT from 2000. I viewed it as being a cheap knife (which all current S&W knives are), but it's rather nice. I wanted a knife it was in a lot in, and then proceeded to ignore that lot because of it for a year. Then, after buying said lot, I mostly had it clipped to the bag I keep my Skil oscillating tool in, but have recently started using it. It's sturdy, opens really smoothly, locks up well, and is pretty light due to an aluminum handle. Also, it wasn't that cheap. Apparently, the MSRP of the model in 2000 was $40.
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Update on Roper Pecos linerlock.
I have used the knife this week in my shop, and I have to say I really like the knife. I removed the pocket clip. It feels good in my pocket. Blade holds a good edge. Knife is the same size as a Schrade 123ot but wider because of the linerlock.I added some more pictures of the knife to show fit and finish. Knife is really put together well. In my opinion. ::hmm::
Nev
roper fit.jpg
roper long.jpg
roper top.jpg
roper.jpg
Attachments
Roper tang side.jpg
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Looks Good Nev. 🍺
John 💥
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Nev52 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:38 am Update on Roper Pecos linerlock.
I have used the knife this week in my shop, and I have to say I really like the knife. I removed the pocket clip. It feels good in my pocket. Blade holds a good edge. Knife is the same size as a Schrade 123ot but wider because of the linerlock.I added some more pictures of the knife to show fit and finish. Knife is really put together well. In my opinion. ::hmm::
Nevroper fit.jpgroper long.jpgroper top.jpgroper.jpg
Very cool little folder Nev! ::tu:: In the 1st picture the tolerances between the seams appear to be very tight, always a sign of a good knife! One of the first things I do when I get a new knife is remove the pocket-clip, and I do this strictly for appearances purposes, I think a knife just looks cleaner and more uniform without a clip. I don't like safeties on my knives either, but for those all I can do is choose models without a safety! 8)
8)
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thanks Marco,
I think the knife is very well made. It reminds me of the brothers knife I purchased. ::tu:: I like it a lot. ::nod::

Nev
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I was not crazy about buying the Chinese Taylor 123OT and UH PIoneer, as the quality or steel didn't come even close to Rough Ryders. Case's Mid-Folding Hunter is not offered in CV, and the cheapest one I could find (with issues, from a dealer in their "clearance" section) was like $50.

I bought both this one and the Mini Trapper from the same series. Hopefully their 1065 will outperform Rough Ryder's T10, which failed to impress me over their 440A, which takes forever to get dull. T-10 is supposedly close to 1095, but that was never the case with any "Classic Carbon" model from RR.

Return to “Chinese-made knives”