My First Rough Rider: RR375 Whittler

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
WV Papaw

My First Rough Rider: RR375 Whittler

Post by WV Papaw »

My eldest grandson and I got a rare guy's day out this morning and hit the flea market. Connor, my grandson, got lots of goodies including a balisong training knife. I saw a few older pieces but no deals or anything that really jumped out to me.

Towards the end of the vender loop I found some new Rough Riders, along with new Old Timers, and Case knives. I've been wanting to get a Rough Rider for a little while since reading so many good things about their value. So I picked up a RR375 Whittler with Amber jigged bone scales.

I have to say it's a good looking knife for $12-$13. And it's very sharp right out of the box; it needs a little stropping but will easily slice a sheet of paper. The fit and finish seem better than I expected and the action is really good IMHO. And if I loose or break it I won't cry! LOL
Attachments
IMG_1958.JPG
IMG_1959.JPG
IMG_1960.JPG
Greg
#goldpan

Re: My First Rough Rider: RR375 Whittler

Post by #goldpan »

In my opinion you made a good choice! ::tu:: I have abused a few Rough Riders and they come through just fine! I hate to admit to knife abuse ::facepalm:: but on more than one occasion I hammered a rough Rider or two through some pretty tough material. :roll: I still don't advise doing that to any knife, but necessity made me do it ::shrug:: . Dang tough little knife!
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

They are great knifes ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I know this will be considered heresy, so apologies in advance. But it would be no surprise to me if in future years RR became as desirable to collectors as original Camillus or Schrades. I base this on some recent purchases that really impressed me with their F&F. ::uc::
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Quick Steel wrote:I know this will be considered heresy, so apologies in advance. But it would be no surprise to me if in future years RR became as desirable to collectors as original Camillus or Schrades. I base this on some recent purchases that really impressed me with their F&F. ::uc::
Excellent point "Quick Steel" no apology needed.
RR has proven itself to be a fine knife. I have a few myself, some are EDC and some I have are on display.
As far as "Future Years" RR becoming desirable?....Older and current RRs are desirable now. There a a few I'm currently searching for.
In the current (July 2017) Smokey Mountain knife Catalog, they have 556 listed Rough Rider knives for sale. Of that 556 listed for sale, 130 are on "back order" that's around 25% that are currently sold out. ::uc::
You cannot say that for "Case" or "Buck" !
I feel that it it is not only because they are affordable, but they are well made and beautiful.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
WV Papaw

Post by WV Papaw »

After carrying and using this knife for a little bit I really like it. There is a little blade rub on the pen blade and the primary blade is stiff opening (but it uses both back springs so that's kind of expected). The only thing close to a complaint I have it the secondary blades nail-nicks ride a tad low for me but not a "problem" to open.

I that some of y'alls thoughts on these becoming more valuable in the future has merit. I am already thinking about which will be my next RR. ::tu::
Greg
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Enjoy that Rough Rider ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.

Return to “Chinese-made knives”