Rough Rider Cotton Sampler

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Rough Rider Cotton Sampler

Post by treefarmer »

When we went to central Florida to see Miss Joy's dad on Fathers Day, we left our little mini Dachshund with some special friends. Miss Joy cooked beef stew for supper and invited that couple for supper yesterday evening. When they came in the house, our friend handed me a new SMKW catalogue that was soon our topic of discussion. He mentioned the Cotton Samplers and he wanted to try one out. ::hmm:: After supper I retrieved my anonymously donated RR Cotton Sampler and presented it to him. I explained the circumstances how I had received several RR's anonymously and had put the Trapper to the test. My friend is now the proud owner of the Cotton Sampler with the warning on the end of the box!
I want to thank, again, the person responsible for this! ::handshake::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

treefarmer wrote:When we went to central Florida to see Miss Joy's dad on Fathers Day, we left our little mini Dachshund with some special friends. Miss Joy cooked beef stew for supper and invited that couple for supper yesterday evening. When they came in the house, our friend handed me a new SMKW catalogue that was soon our topic of discussion. He mentioned the Cotton Samplers and he wanted to try one out. ::hmm:: After supper I retrieved my anonymously donated RR Cotton Sampler and presented it to him. I explained the circumstances how I had received several RR's anonymously and had put the Trapper to the test. My friend is now the proud owner of the Cotton Sampler with the warning on the end of the box!
Treefarmer
He got a good knife!
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

It cuts meat and veggies just fine! ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
Test ID

Post by Test ID »

treefarmer wrote: After supper I retrieved my anonymously donated RR Cotton Sampler and presented it to him. I explained the circumstances how I had received several RR's anonymously and had put the Trapper to the test. My friend is now the proud owner of the Cotton Sampler with the warning on the end of the box!
Treefarmer
I wasn't aware that you're the type of person who gives away knives that are gifted to you. I guess a Rough Rider doesn't qualify as a keeper.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Well Test ID, you caught me with my hand in the cookie jar! :oops: Regifting is a delicate subject. As I posted back in June, I am thankful for the anonymous Rough Rider knives and when my very good friend expressed interest in the cotton sampler pattern, it crossed my mind he would probably get more enjoyment from owning the knife than I. I had fully intended to use the cotton sampler this coming season if I was blessed with a deer to see if it would actually suit me as a skinning knife as mentioned on the forum. But I knew full well it would not be the practical knife the Strawberry Bone Rough Rider Trapper had proved itself to be. All this said, I hope you will understand why I passed this knife as a gift to a special friend, who would not accept payment for baby sitting an "evil, black hearted, cat killin', miniature Dachshund.
Treefarmer.

TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I think the entire concept of "re-gifting" is blown completely out of proportion. If I have something that I think someone else can use or would enjoy, and I give it to them, why does it matter where I obtained it? IMHO, it doesn't diminish the original gift, nor does it diminish the subsequent passing to someone else. Both are acts of kindness that exist at the moment of the act. On the other hand, thinking that the recipient is somehow obligated to retain a gift DOES diminish the act of giving. It shows that the gift came with strings attached instead of being an unconditional gift.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I guess I'm just a sentimental old fool. I tend more to follow the path alluded to (my interpretation) by Test ID. I feel like it lessens the intent of the gifter if I don't think enough of the gift or the gifter to hang on to the gift. A slight or insult as it were. "This gift has no meaning." I'm more of a hold on to the gift until I draw my last breath kinda guy.

But that's just me and in no way obligates anyone else to follow my example nor does it validate my sentimentality.

AND I AM NOT CRITICIZING YOU FOR DOING WHAT WAS RIGHT FOR YOU, PHILIP. PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT THAT WAY.
Attachments
JPDave Avatar.jpg
JPDave Avatar.jpg (11.44 KiB) Viewed 5839 times
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Mine shaving hair off the top of my hand! ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Good job as a kitchen !
Keep Near the Cross.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Treefarmer,

I was wondering if the new owner of the cotton sampler has had a chance to try it as a skinner? I think getting a review from him would relieve you of any bad mojo regifting may have brought. Lol!
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

eveled,
We probably won't be getting a report on the RR Cotton Sampler from my friend. He is bit disabled and is not able to be in the woods as he once did. He still enjoys shooting when he can and loves to eat fried venison when he comes to our home. He and his wife are both Army veterans and spend quite a bit of time at the VA doctors. He is a Vietnam vet, a great friend and he loves the Lord! If I caught any flak for regifting to him, I'll gladly take it.
Surely somebody in this bunch ought to skin a deer with a RR Cotton Sampler, so we'll know!
Treefarmer

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Phillip, I haven't hunted since September of 1966 and that was squirrels and I've never hunted deer so this is not a facetious question. Would either of these skin a deer and what is the smallest you've ever used to dress one?
Attachments
1231180932.jpg
1231180935.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Yes Sir, Jerry! I'd tackle Bambi with either of those! I can't recall using anything smaller than a standard sized trapper or stockman, the 4"-4 1/4" size. The folding hunters are always just right for me, you just can't break a pelvis with one like you might a heavier fixed blade and a baton or a small hatchet. That's where the Milwaukee Sawzall comes in nowadays! :) The Florida Whitetails are not near as big as northern deer or the mule deer out west so if I had that opportunity, I might need a larger knife. But once you get started and open up the hide, any sharp knife will do the job. You would have to be more careful if you only had a Warncliffe blade but a spay or any thing with a little belly works for me. It's a lot easier if you have a pointed blade to get started. I may be cheating a bit because once I get the hide peeled down to the shoulders and off the front legs, the hide is then pulled with whatever vehicle is close by, cart, tractor or pickup truck. Gutting is then done and then just careful knife handling makes a clean job.
Treefarmer

deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Mine keeps a good edge and does a good job in the Kitchen .
Keep Near the Cross.
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Cotton sampler.JPG
Just got one. I like it very sharp and has half stops. Almost to pretty to use. ::tu::
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Still love mine! ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
texastom

Post by texastom »

Test ID wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:45 am
treefarmer wrote: After supper I retrieved my anonymously donated RR Cotton Sampler and presented it to him. I explained the circumstances how I had received several RR's anonymously and had put the Trapper to the test. My friend is now the proud owner of the Cotton Sampler with the warning on the end of the box!
Treefarmer
I wasn't aware that you're the type of person who gives away knives that are gifted to you. I guess a Rough Rider doesn't qualify as a keeper.
Hey guys,

Pardon the newb chiming in , but a gift given should be free of conditions. Otherwise it is not a gift. How long would you feed an anonymously given Elephant or Lion? Too extreme, how about a dog or cat? Why is a <$20 knife any different? Yes, the price point is important. Luckily, we are not discussing a $1,000 dollar knife, that would complicate things!
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

Better to call it "paying it forward" and if a better home is found for the knife, or whatever the present is, it's a gift multiplied and not wasted in a drawer.
Just don't give it to the person that gave it to you. LOL
How if I could stumble across someone that was gifted a Ferrari that's never driven that could use a better home...
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

I just picked up another cotton sampler. High Plains model . :) They are great for cutting drywall ::uc::

Nev
RR cotton sampler.jpg

Return to “Chinese-made knives”