I just ordered a Boker Besh-Wedge Neck Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Captain O

I just ordered a Boker Besh-Wedge Neck Knife

Post by Captain O »

These little 4.25" 440C blade daggers have an edge... and hold it! 8) ::tu:: This neat little knife promises to be an efficient tool for more than just stabbing people (its primary mission). I have read some reviews that told of its ability to cut carpet and other "dirty duties" aside from dealing with miscreants. This means that the blade will not only hold an edge, but it will cut lines and perform a multitude of duties. (Thank God that it won't be a simple "one-trick-pony"). ::tu:: 8)

Does anyone else have one of these? If so, what are your experiences with the "Besh-Wedge" blade? ::hmm::
Stakeknife

Re: I just ordered a Boker Besh-Wedge Neck Knife

Post by Stakeknife »

What no pics?
NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject. Our forefathers knew this to be true..... Why do so many of us question their wisdom?
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

In addition to the above (photo) I'd appreciate your evaluation after you have used the knife for some time.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

(a) If I could post pictures, I would. I don't, however, have that ability.

(b) I'll post my impressions when it arrives and later after a couple of weeks. I want to attach it to my belt with paracord, but ball chain loops might work better.

This is a bit more than just a "stabby-stabby" knife. There have been reviews illustrating the knife's capability on the field as well as a defensive weapon. The "Besh" design seems to be a good one. The flat point and chisel grind provide the knife with a reinforced point provide penetration power beyond a simple dagger-style point. Penetration power with two chisel-type, razor-sharp sides makes a convincing argument for this design. A brilliant concept.
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

I have quit a few Beckers Camillus and Kabar made. I'm not familiar with the knife you mention. Is it a new one? I'm assuming it is a Kabar knife?
David
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Here's a pic I found online. It is a BOKER (not a Becker) Besh Wedge Knife. Is this the one you ordered CaptainO ?
Attachments
boker-besh-wedge_2482.jpg
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

My apologies to all. I meant the Boker Besh-Wedge Neck knife, and yes, that is the knife in question. (I must have been exhausted when I typed the original thread title). ::dang:: :roll: :shock:

Again, I apologize for the confusion.

Moderators Note: Not to worry. I went back and changed the thread title to Boker to hopefully avoid any further confusion.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

What I find thrilling about the Besh-Wedge configuration is the "chisel point". I plan on sharpening both the point and the edges to a "shaving sharp" level. For all intents and purposes, this should be the "ultimate back-up" defense knife. A couple of pieces of short paracord tied to a pair of knots on the bottom side of the belt should hold the knife in the inverted position (handle on the bottom) should permit quick access to the knife in an emergency situation.

The light weight of the knife will allow for unobtrusive and unencumbered carry. I look forward to packing this little wonder just about everywhere I go. I believe that I will view this accouterment as the "Ban roll-on" of personal protection knives... it should "take the worry out of being close". :wink: ::hmm:: ::tu::

Don't you think?
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Do you mean sharpen the back side of the chisel grind? I would avoid that, that will reduce the sharpness of the edge.
A chisel grind is one of the sharpest edges you can get. I love chisel grind knives and use them in my shop for detail work and cutting nice clean lines.

My personal opinion about carrying a knife for self defense: not a good idea unless you are an accomplished martial artist with edged weapons! Even the "winner" of a knife fight will usually require numerous stitches.
If I am going somewhere I feel I will need to defend myself or my family, my first inclination is not to go. What can be as important enough to risks one's life or family members life? If for some reason I cannot imagine I must still go to this dangerous place, I would carry a gun not a knife.
Just my opinion.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I had one of these but didn't like it, so I gave it away. For a self-defense weapon I feel it is much too small. A significant aspect of pulling a knife on a potential attacker is to hopefully avoid the attack by making the assailant think twice about tangling with an armed target and possibly getting seriously hurt or killed in the process (criminals usually select victims they perceive as weaker and non-threatening). This little knife is about as threatening as a nail file (i.e., not at all threatening) especially with the square chisel tip which makes it look more or less like a regular screwdriver...you would probably have a better chance of defense with a sturdy, pointed letter opener. Ostensibly, the besh-wedge is designed for penetration without breaking the tip, but my trials on cardboard, leather, canvas, tire rubber and particle board did not convince me that a squared, chisel tip was better at penetration than a pointed tip, in fact, it was just the opposite, and despite multiple thrusts with several different pointed blades specifically designed for stabbing (Lone Wolf Diablo, Lone Wolf Paul Defender and AG Russell Agent's Office Knife) into the same materials, I never broke any blade tips.

Also, the handle on the Boker Besh-Wedge is too thin and has squared edges which make it difficult and uncomfortable to grasp firmly; it twisted easily in the hand especially when trying to cut paracord, rope or sheetrock.

About the only positive aspect I could determine for this knife would be as as an easily concealable and fairly quickly accessible neck knife that could potentially be used as a back up to a better weapon (like a gun or a bigger knife) or as a last resort in close quarters, hand-to-hand combat in the absence of almost anything else more effective such as a rock, phillips screwdriver, broken beer bottle, rusty lid from a tin can, etc.

Just my opinion...feel free to disagree or dispute my analysis.

~Q~
~Q~
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

orvet wrote:Do you mean sharpen the back side of the chisel grind? I would avoid that, that will reduce the sharpness of the edge.
A chisel grind is one of the sharpest edges you can get. I love chisel grind knives and use them in my shop for detail work and cutting nice clean lines.

My personal opinion about carrying a knife for self defense: not a good idea unless you are an accomplished martial artist with edged weapons! Even the "winner" of a knife fight will usually require numerous stitches.
If I am going somewhere I feel I will need to defend myself or my family, my first inclination is not to go. What can be as important enough to risks one's life or family members life? If for some reason I cannot imagine I must still go to this dangerous place, I would carry a gun not a knife.
Just my opinion.
No, I want to sharpen the single edge of the bevel grind. (One side only). This should maintain the edge.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

orvet wrote:Do you mean sharpen the back side of the chisel grind? I would avoid that, that will reduce the sharpness of the edge.

Just my opinion.
Have you ridden the MAX lately? Walked the streets of Portland while the "Hate America First" crowd protests? I feel safer visiting Tijuana, BCN MX than I do walking the streets of the Tenderloin District of San Francisco or the Sunset Strip of Los Angeles.

Thnks for your advice, but I want to stay alive. In the immortal words of the late Col. John "Jeff" Cooper, "Only a fool travels unarmed".
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Even more foolish than travelling through dangerous territory unarmed is travelling through dangerous territory with a false sense of security by carrying an inadequate / ineffective means of self-defense. If you know you're going into a potentially life-threatening situation, I would definitely NOT recommend the Boker Besh-Wedge as a first (or even third) line of defense.

First: Escape / Run Away

Second: Negotiate

Third: Defend / Fight Back

Final: Use whatever means necessary to survive and/or eliminate the threat

Al Mar knives has an acronym for their tactical / combat knives designed specifically for exactly that purpose: SERE, which stands for Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape

~Q~
~Q~
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

QTCut5 wrote:Even more foolish than travelling through dangerous territory unarmed is travelling through dangerous territory with a false sense of security by carrying an inadequate / ineffective means of self-defense. If you know you're going into a potentially life-threatening situation, I would definitely NOT recommend the Boker Besh-Wedge as a first (or even third) line of defense.

First: Escape / Run Away

Second: Negotiate

Third: Defend / Fight Back

Final: Use whatever means necessary to survive and/or eliminate the threat

Al Mar knives has an acronym for their tactical / combat knives designed specifically for exactly that purpose: SERE, which stands for Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape

~Q~
I agree. I avoid some of the idiots in metropolitan areas. Sometimes it can't be done. About two years ago, I boarded a bus along 82nd' Avenue in Portland, OR I was accosted by the raving lunacy of a demented homeless man. I did everything I could to de-escalate the situation. The bus driver quickly expelled the fool. I feared that I would have to defend my life from this man because he was obviously mentally unstable and a danger to other citizens outside of myself. I'll confess, I was carrying an 11" long, automatic American-made, Picklock Stiletto with a 1095 Carbon Steel bayonet blade.

Believe me when I tell you that this is a problem that is increasing, rather than decreasing, in our "compassionate" cities.

I reserve the ultimate right to defend myself against physical assault. I would rather explain myself in court that take up permanent residence in an urn.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Captain O wrote: No, I want to sharpen the single edge of the bevel grind. (One side only). This should maintain the edge.
You are spot on, that is the proper way to maintain a chisel grind. And when maintain that way that are really sharp!

I worked on 82nd in Portland, 30 years ago it was a great middle income area, at least on the southern end around Clackamas Town Center. I also worked in the old downtown area of Milwaukee, one block off of 82nd. I would go for walks on my lunch and not think twice about it, not anymore.
Two or three years ago my wife and I were driving somewhere around 82nd and Division looking for a store she wanted to go to. That area had changed dramatically since the last time I'd been there, probably 30 years ago. I don't know of any place in Portland on the east side of the Willamette River where I would consider taking Tri Met or the Max!

I also worked a couple places on NE. Union Ave. in Portland, before they renamed it MLK Blvd. One place was on the corner of NE Couch & Union, one block from the Burnside Bridge. Between the homeless campers, junkies, winos and hookers who never knew you were what you would find in the parking lot when you came to work and if they were dead or alive. I worked a couple miles north of the Burnside Bridge on what is now MLK Blvd, that is even more interesting.

I have only written Tri Met a couple times, when an ice storm covered the city and I couldn't get home, and I have never ridden Max, and never intend to. ::paranoid::

Good luck with public transportation up there!
I'm too old and crippled to rely on a knife for protection, too many ways for things to go sideways.
.40 caliber or larger for me, TYVM! :mrgreen:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

orvet wrote:
Captain O wrote: No, I want to sharpen the single edge of the bevel grind. (One side only). This should maintain the edge.
You are spot on, that is the proper way to maintain a chisel grind. And when maintain that way that are really sharp!

I worked on 82nd in Portland, 30 years ago it was a great middle income area, at least on the southern end around Clackamas Town Center. I also worked in the old downtown area of Milwaukee, one block off of 82nd. I would go for walks on my lunch and not think twice about it, not anymore.
Two or three years ago my wife and I were driving somewhere around 82nd and Division looking for a store she wanted to go to. That area had changed dramatically since the last time I'd been there, probably 30 years ago. I don't know of any place in Portland on the east side of the Willamette River where I would consider taking Tri Met or the Max!

I also worked a couple places on NE. Union Ave. in Portland, before they renamed it MLK Blvd. One place was on the corner of NE Couch & Union, one block from the Burnside Bridge. Between the homeless campers, junkies, winos and hookers who never knew you were what you would find in the parking lot when you came to work and if they were dead or alive. I worked a couple miles north of the Burnside Bridge on what is now MLK Blvd, that is even more interesting.

I have only written Tri Met a couple times, when an ice storm covered the city and I couldn't get home, and I have never ridden Max, and never intend to. ::paranoid::

Good luck with public transportation up there!
I'm too old and crippled to rely on a knife for protection, too many ways for things to go sideways.
.40 caliber or larger for me, TYVM! :mrgreen:
I'm not that old and crippled, and plan to stay as spry as possible for a number of years to come. Trust me, the entire city is turning into krap.

Return to “Chinese-made knives”