Is there a little piece of China in your pocket?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
aux80

Is there a little piece of China in your pocket?

Post by aux80 »

I bought this little beauty at my local pawn shop. It needed some adjustments, so I brought it with me today.
image.jpeg
Captain O

Re: Is there a little piece of China in your pocket?

Post by Captain O »

My Boker is a fine piece of Chinese 440C steel. I'm certain that is has the same steel that the old Buck knives had in them prior to 1981. It's a Boker Plus Barlow Brown Jigged Bone. I paid but $29.94 (shipped) from Blade Play. After 20 minutes of careful honing on a Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker it's sharp enough to perform any task when called upon. ::tu::

It is well worth the "price of admission". 8)
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

No
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I never thought I'd hear myself say this but actually there is. It's one of those Marbles Handyman's Helper II ruler knives riding alongside my Camillus 72 Frankenknife.
Attachments
Marbles Ruler Knife - closed.jpg
Marbles Ruler Knife - open.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

garddogg56 wrote:No
Bravo!
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Just answering the question Mr Smith ::facepalm:: :lol: :lol:
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

garddogg56 wrote:Just answering the question Mr Smith ::facepalm:: :lol: :lol:
Dogg I bought one by mistake and it would have cost more than it was worth to ship it back to Canada so it has been relagated to a not so prominent position in my case.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

I here ya Mr Smith ::handshake:: I was gifted a Cryo cause I heard they were good but not for work here is the result after one week at work skinning cables ::uc:: sum soft steel ::shrug::
Attachments
IMG_20160517_173729905.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Nuff said.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

To answer the question and to quote a remark my mother was fond of using "not no, but hell no"
Joe
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Not in my pocket (because it's too big and heavy), but it's a fine specimen in my collection: Sowbelly Wharncliffe in cocobolo. made in China by AG Russell. Unlike many knife collectors, I don't care too much where a knife is made as long as it's made well with quality materials. I have some excellent knives from many different countries: Japan, Taiwan, England, Germany, Italy, Spain, Argentina and even Mexico. And from what I've read recently on another thread, some people may be carrying a Chinese-made knife that they thought was made in Canada (Grohmann) without even realizing it.
P1300260.JPG
P1300261.JPG
~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Frost Honk Falls Stockman 4 1/2 inches long
Keep Near the Cross.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Here's another AG Russell I recently acquired. He's definitely changing a lot of people's perception of Chinese made knives. The ones coming out of his factory in China are high quality durable knives designed and built for hard use; however, they also make fine collectibles.
PB050216.JPG
PB050217.JPG
PB050218.JPG
PB050221.JPG
~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I got a RR peanut and a RR Barlow and a 3 3\4 inch Honk Falls with fake jigged bone. All well made and sharp.
Keep Near the Cross.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Why I am no longer allergic to Chinese made knives. 1) This is not at all an attempt to change anyone's thinking. I totally respect the contrary viewpoints. 2) For a long time I avoided China made knives principally for two reasons a. the usual geo-political reasons and b) their reputation for poor quality. As to point a., it finally struck me as curious to reject only knives when I live with so much else that comes from China e.g. computer parts, clothing & shoes, TV parts, etc. etc. Over 90% of our store bought vitamins are produced in China along with most medicines.

As to point b. yes there are plenty of sub-standard knives, but quality workmanship is available and has been for quite a while e.g. A G Russell, Kershaw, plus some of the formerly European brands that now involve China such as Boker. Although new to me, my initial impression is that Kissing Crane is making very decent knives. It seems many members find Rough Rider and other brands acceptable as economical using knives. So, for me, point of origin is no longer decisive except that I shall always favor U.S. made knives when circumstances permit.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I been putting RR and Taylor made knives through their paces. I have not broke one or threw any away. It been a good ride so far. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
colin.p

Post by colin.p »

I have a few Chinese made knives that aren't bad at all, Bucks, OKC or SOGs. I have no aversion to where a product is made and frankly don't care as everything I buy in Canada is foreign made anyway, U.S. included. I buy on price, usability and as good a quality that that will buy. I am quite happy on purchasing and using a $30 (Canadian dollar) Chinese made knife rather than spending (what I don't now have nor ever will have) $600 to spend on a Sebenza that will allow me to brag about, on that "other" blade site, or meet the approval of others. But each to his/her own I guess. ::shrug::
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

colin.p wrote:I have a few Chinese made knives that aren't bad at all, Bucks, OKC or SOGs. I have no aversion to where a product is made and frankly don't care as everything I buy in Canada is foreign made anyway, U.S. included. I buy on price, usability and as good a quality that that will buy. I am quite happy on purchasing and using a $30 (Canadian dollar) Chinese made knife rather than spending (what I don't now have nor ever will have) $600 to spend on a Sebenza that will allow me to brag about, on that "other" blade site, or meet the approval of others. But each to his/her own I guess. ::shrug::
Ya know, being a member here over the last 5 years I have abstained from commenting on the whole China knife connection, until now (besides a few "I don't care if they cut through steel girders like butter")...

That said, carry whatever you like. I for one don't own anything other than CASE USA made knives. Carry whatever you want. I am not judging anyone. That said, carrying a good knife is not all about bragging rights, it is about personal preference that includes ties to our country in my opinion. You prefer what you prefer and I do the same.

The only person I need approval from is myself.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Nevada Jerry,
I tend to agree with you concerning what to carry, that is carry what you like! I'll say I'm not the purist you are, Case has always been at the top of the list but Camillus, Queen and Schrade-Walden have crept in over the years. Most of them "foreign" things have been gifts or included in a bundle. SAKs I can stand as well as Opinels and there are some mighty nice ones from Japan but that old thing of "Made in the USA" always makes me feel good, even if it's on an old shell handled Colonial or Imperial. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

zp4ja wrote:
colin.p wrote:I have a few Chinese made knives that aren't bad at all, Bucks, OKC or SOGs. I have no aversion to where a product is made and frankly don't care as everything I buy in Canada is foreign made anyway, U.S. included. I buy on price, usability and as good a quality that that will buy. I am quite happy on purchasing and using a $30 (Canadian dollar) Chinese made knife rather than spending (what I don't now have nor ever will have) $600 to spend on a Sebenza that will allow me to brag about, on that "other" blade site, or meet the approval of others. But each to his/her own I guess. ::shrug::
Ya know, being a member here over the last 5 years I have abstained from commenting on the whole China knife connection, until now (besides a few "I don't care if they cut through steel girders like butter")...

That said, carry whatever you like. I for one don't own anything other than CASE USA made knives. Carry whatever you want. I am not judging anyone. That said, carrying a good knife is not all about bragging rights, it is about personal preference that includes ties to our country in my opinion. You prefer what you prefer and I do the same.

The only person I need approval from is myself.

Jerry
+1 Jerry :wink: I take a lot of pride in my tools, when a tool partner in my trade asks to borrow a tool I take pride in what I pass him or her ::shrug:: I personally try to buy everything made in the USA. BUT UNFORTUNALLY in this "global economy were not able to do that ::mdm:: I use to have a saying but Phil convinced be not too use it anymore ::undecided::
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Yep I got a RR medium Stockman in jigged bone from the bay. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
colin.p

Post by colin.p »

The problem with forums is it's hard to convey a meaning that doesn't get distorted. I am of the opinion that a person carry/use what they want or prefer and it doesn't bother me as to where it comes from. Just quality and value are the important issues for me and I choose what I like or can afford using those parameters.

Again I apologize if this somehow comes off as being preachy as that is not what I am trying to convey.
millerberea3

Post by millerberea3 »

I am not bias on china knives. I figure if a knife manufacture cares about quality and are trying to make a good knife I will check them out. wether China, USA, Russia, Japan, wherever, It don't matter you can get junk and you can get keepers. I am inclined only to look at China designs that are original not copies or clones. Sanrenmu has original slip joint, liner lock and frame lock knives as well as TWO SUN knives, CH knives and a multitude of others that are not cloners. they are using high quality materials, if you believe what they put in the spec sheets, at half price as other manufacturers. Check out Two Suns integral flipper its pretty nice its going for about $125 on fleabay
sam eib

Post by sam eib »

Ganzo 7211 in my pocket everyday!
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

I'm packing a Ganzo G-7471-BK as I write this. This is an outstanding bit of automatic Chinese kit. (Try one, you'll like it)! ::tu::

Return to “Chinese-made knives”