Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by joeradza »

A while back I was looking for a single blade in the range of 3.75-4” closed. Thanks to the kindness and generosity of a fellow knife knut who sent me this beauty I’m now the happy owner of this beauty.
A Rough Ryder RR2103 4” closed with aluminum handles. Typical RR quality, which is to say, excellent. Very sharp with about a 5-6 pull. Back spring is flush when open and closed and just ever so slightly depressed at half stop. Blade is centered. As others have said the bolsters are just painted. The aluminum is not for everyone and will never be mistaken for any traditional heirloom covers but it is a well fitted, well put together traditional slip joint
Attachments
IMG_6914.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have the same knife. Perfect as EDC, light weight but strong, slim in the pocket and a very sharp and pointy blade. Would field dress a deer in a slick and easy manner.
kj
CamMan21

Post by CamMan21 »

zed6309 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:54 pm Ok guys, a little question, why is it sometimes written ROUGH RIDER OR ROUGH RYDER?
I bought 8 for the heck of it just to see what all the raving here was about...and even in my little sample I have some knives that are marked both. Sometimes it’s the shield and the tang don’t match, and on one knife the tangs don’t match from blade to blade.

Not that this means a damn thing...just a random observation.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

From SMKW, they showed up today FedEx. I really like that Cinnamon Bone on the Copperhead. Looks very much like stag. And the blades appear to be some kind of Damascus. Not a lot of layers but still.................
The full size Trapper because it has a Wharncliffe blade, slanted bolsters and it was very reasonable.
Attachments
Rough Rider RR2161 Cinnamon Bone Stag Copperhead - Labeled.JPG
Rough Rider RR2127 Classic Carbon Wharncliffe Trapper - Labeled.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:39 pm From SMKW, they showed up today FedEx. I really like that Cinnamon Bone on the Copperhead. Looks very much like stag. And the blades appear to be some kind of Damascus. Not a lot of layers but still.................
The full size Trapper because it has a Wharncliffe blade, slanted bolsters and it was very reasonable.
The Copperhead is a good looking knife!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Love the Damascus and the Wharncliffe. Two good ones Jerry. And those handles are a head turner. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

That Copperhead is a very fine looking knife, Jerry! Makes me want to go buy one right now.
Mel
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:39 pm From SMKW, they showed up today FedEx. I really like that Cinnamon Bone on the Copperhead. Looks very much like stag. And the blades appear to be some kind of Damascus. Not a lot of layers but still.................
Hey Jerry;

Glad to hear you like the RR Cinnamon Bone. One of my favorite RR series, I have the entire set.
I agree, the slanted pinched bolsters add a lot of 'Eye Candy' The "R" logo is not too distracting, at least on this series.

IMG_0013.JPG
RR did an excellent job on their "Bone Stag"
Yes, it is real "Damascus."
I do not know the exact layer count, however, after I received my Cinnamon Bone's last year, I hooked up my "Micro Capture Pro" digital USB microscope and took some micro pictures of the top of the blades. The results are below.
Many, many layers.

IMG_0001 (1).JPG
20112116124240.jpg
201121161430162.jpg
20112116935774.jpg
Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Nice knives Dan and great pictures.
Have you ever used the RR straight razor to shave ? The regular RR blades are 'shaving sharp' so this razor might give a fine smooth shave.
kj
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:00 pm Nice knives Dan and great pictures.
Have you ever used the RR straight razor to shave ? The regular RR blades are 'shaving sharp' so this razor might give a fine smooth shave.
kj

Thanks Roland.
No, I've never used a straight razor to shave. I don't think I would have enough time to call 911. ::pray::
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The handles are great but the acorn shield was what tipped the scales for me. For $25 I couldn't pass it up. One of the few RR's over $20 that I was willing to bring home.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

CamMan21 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:31 pm
zed6309 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:54 pm Ok guys, a little question, why is it sometimes written ROUGH RIDER OR ROUGH RYDER?
I bought 8 for the heck of it just to see what all the raving here was about...and even in my little sample I have some knives that are marked both. Sometimes it’s the shield and the tang don’t match, and on one knife the tangs don’t match from blade to blade.

Not that this means a damn thing...just a random observation.
Its defantly random , wonder why this happens ::hmm::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
CamMan21

Post by CamMan21 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:39 pm From SMKW, they showed up today FedEx............

Bought one because of your post. It just arrived...Nice knife!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

CamMan21 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:42 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:39 pm From SMKW, they showed up today FedEx............

Bought one because of your post. It just arrived...Nice knife!
There I go. Gettin' blamed for somethin' again that I didn't do on purpose. :mrgreen:

Pretty slick outfit, eh?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
CamMan21

Post by CamMan21 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:22 pm There I go. Gettin' blamed for somethin' again that I didn't do on purpose. :mrgreen:
Nah, this is all you, Marine ::tu::
jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:22 pm Pretty slick outfit, eh?
It is rather slick.

I had absolutely zero intentions of buying any RRs until recently, but in two orders I have purchased 14 of them. I'm pretty selective, but I feel like I've gotten a nice bunch of blades...most in patterns I otherwise wouldn't collect.

A couple standouts: the upswept bow trapper, stag bone cotton sampler, and the white bone barlow. Those 3 plus the wharncliffe trapper would be my favorites of the lot.
PigStikr

Post by PigStikr »

I got my first RR that I have an issue with..It's one of them wharncliff whittlers with the yellow scales..I'm about ready to put it in my drawer of same...to much spring to use a half stop blade is the problem...bottom of tang should have a radius on it...Paid $16.99 for it so it 's not a big issue..thing is if you can't open it why did it leave the factory....
Never Doubt Your Dawg
CamMan21

Post by CamMan21 »

I picked up one of them also. Not my favorite of the bunch, but the half stops on mine don’t seem to be causing any issues on mine.
PigStikr

Post by PigStikr »

Mine after you get it half way open you have to push it against something to get it open I've scraped it to The Drawer of Shame ain't worth fussin over at that amount of $$....it's the 1st one I been buying RR's since 05 when I got my 1st computer...
Never Doubt Your Dawg
marinaio61

Post by marinaio61 »

It's going to happen that you get a lemon at some point when buying cheap ChiCom knives. I was lucky in a way that my first and only RR was a POS high carbon Canoe pattern with G10 scales so I won't buy another.
PigStikr

Post by PigStikr »

It's not a China thing I buy all different knife brands I've been wanting this knife for a few months..just giving others a heads up about this pattern...all knife makers have lemons and this pattern is one of RR's it's just not quite rite think thats why I had a hard time finding one to buy or maybe this is a new batch...
Never Doubt Your Dawg
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Sorry you got a lem🍋n pigsticker, I've got one that works fine. I carry it quite often.
I bought a RR marlin spike last year and promptly dropped it on the hardwood floor and cracked the bone handle, that's on me of course, but the spike is already loose, does not stay in the closed position very well. It's a work around the place knife that cost all of $12.79 so no biggie. ::handshake::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

In today's mail. Blades are not centered or even close. Other than that, it's fine for the price. Make a good EDC.
Have I mentioned I have a growing hate for those RR huge boxes? They could be 1/5th that size and still do the job they're intended for.
Attachments
Rough Ryder RR2187 Mini-Trapper Denium Micarta T-10 Carbon Steel - Labeled.JPG
Rough Ryder RR2187 Mini-Trapper Denium Micarta T-10 Carbon Steel - Blades not Centered.JPG
DSC01165.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

PigStikr wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:14 pm I got my first RR that I have an issue with..It's one of them wharncliff whittlers with the yellow scales..I'm about ready to put it in my drawer of same...to much spring to use a half stop blade is the problem...bottom of tang should have a radius on it...Paid $16.99 for it so it 's not a big issue..thing is if you can't open it why did it leave the factory....
I have one of those whittlers. I agree that the tang should have a bit of a radius to make both opening and closing the blade more smooth. But it ain't half as bad as a couple of much more expensive kives that I own!

Jerry - I do not like blades that are off centered in the well, but they do not bother me half as much as when the open blade is not aligned with the handle. That is an issue with some of my RRs. Nice looking knife!
Mel
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks Mel.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
PigStikr

Post by PigStikr »

I hate those big boxes to..I put all knife boxes in the burn barrel doesn't matter who the maker is...couple of the larger boxes I take out the foam mold and fill knives one is full of Imperial pen knives one full Sak knives have a couple full of RR's they're good for storing things but I don't keep them all....
Never Doubt Your Dawg

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”