Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
deltaboy

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by deltaboy »

They are quite addictive.
Keep Near the Cross.
Chayes

Post by Chayes »

I posted in the forum asking about RR and I was directed to this thread. Glad I did! I purchased a RR canoe from eBay before I read this thread but have gone back to eBay for a carbon steel stockman. I collect Buck knives and this brand is much more reasonable with the overwhelming votes here for quality. I'm anxious about seeing them for myself. There is something primal about holding a sharpened piece of steel in your hand!! Having spent over $1000 on Buck's (from the 120 General to the mini-tickler and most models in between including the M9 fighting knife) these RR really hold an appeal. Especially since I really like the canoe style. I've only seen 3 Bucks with different handle material, my best one has stone, possibly agate scales,and the other two are wood. RR has many different handle variations that appeals to me at a very reasonable cost. I'll pass along my observations.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

For $1,000.00 you could buy the entire RR line up. ::super_happy::

Hmmmmmmm. I just got myself into trouble again. The fingers type, then the brain sees it. The whole line up just sounded like a cool idea~
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

americanedgetech wrote:For $1,000.00 you could buy the entire RR line up. ::super_happy::

Hmmmmmmm. I just got myself into trouble again. The fingers type, then the brain sees it. The whole line up just sounded like a cool idea~
Yep, I'm actually starting to snag the whole "Buckshot Bone" line. It's a fun way to scratch the "new knife" itch without getting too many dirty looks from the wife. :mrgreen:
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
americanedgetech

I settled for life in the dog house a long time ago. ::nod::

"It's between ME, and your damn dogs"
I have seven Presa Canarios that are my heart, and soul. Those dogs love me, and their life so I return their kindness and put them first. After all they can't drive anywhere to get a job so I have to take care of them.

The wife is gone, the dogs are happy, and now I have cash to spend on knives. Life in the dog house brother... It does not get any better! ::super_happy::
Ken Mc.

deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Solid knifes ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

i HAVE NEVER HEARD OF "Presa Canarios". Would you mind lending your dogs a Rough Rider knife (maybe the "Dog Bone" one) and then take a pic and post it in this thread ?
I hope you do. I am looking forward to seeing these pooches already.
kj
americanedgetech

I have some pictures from a few years ago...
When I get a camera running I'll update them. ::nod::
I guess they fit the Rough Rider thread because I don't even have a set of keys to my house. No need to lock it ::tu::
Attachments
140417_007.jpg
140417_004.jpg
140417_005.jpg
20160618_142521.jpg
Ken Mc.

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Good looking dogs.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
americanedgetech

Thanks David.

I have a few chunks of flesh missing, a couple broken bones (right wrist, 2 fingers on the left hand), and countless staples/stitches from breaking up fights but they are STILL better than any wife I have had, and I always came out worse for wear than any of them. :shock:

Never a dull moment w/ 700 lbs of dogs on a half acre. ::poke::
Ken Mc.

bighomer

Post by bighomer »

My latest RR's.
Attachments
20171017_141246.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

bighomer,
I'm doin' my best to stay clear of the RRs and most other imports and here you go showin' some pretty fine lookin' knives. That trapper in the southeast corner of the picture almost gets my attention. I end up buying an old worn out USA made knife for what I could buy 2 or 3 of them brand new RRs. ::uc:: Folks say they do the job but bein' hard headed, I need to prove it to my self.
If Scott could get them to donate something "practical" and send it around the country like he did with the little Case hunting knife and then Jerryd and he colluded on an Estwing ugly knife pass around, I'm sure folks wouldn't mind giving them honest evaluation beyond openin' the mail or cleanin' finger nails.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
americanedgetech

treefarmer wrote: Folks say they do the job but bein' hard headed, I need to prove it to my self.
If Scott could get them to donate something "practical" and send it around the country like he did with the little Case hunting knife and then Jerryd and he colluded on an Estwing ugly knife pass around, I'm sure folks wouldn't mind giving them honest evaluation beyond openin' the mail or cleanin' finger nails.
Treefarmer

TF,
I have one that is completely different from any "traditional" style that would be perfect for you to get a feel for them.
PM me, and I'll send it out to you... ::tu::

Nice score BigHomer! Everyone spends more on a tank of gas. ::nod::
Ken Mc.

bighomer

Post by bighomer »

treefarmer wrote:bighomer,
I'm doin' my best to stay clear of the RRs and most other imports and here you go showin' some pretty fine lookin' knives. That trapper in the southeast corner of the picture almost gets my attention. I end up buying an old worn out USA made knife for what I could buy 2 or 3 of them brand new RRs. ::uc:: Folks say they do the job but bein' hard headed, I need to prove it to my self.
Treefarmer
Farmer I buy a lot of those old worn hok's my own self, but every once in a while I want something new with a little shine on it. I worked for 40 years for a company that made and sold products all over the world, so I don't worry to much where products are are made. Peoples opinions vary on this and I respect that. Here's a closer look at said knife, the jigging puts one's mind to winterbottom. The shield is kinda cheesy I guess it's a beaver, but bone is kinda neat. As far as those pass around knives, I just don't work knives that hard anymore.
Attachments
20171018_102654.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

bighomer,
I see what you mean by the callin' the shield , cheesy. Looks like one of them beavers that crossed the road and didn't make it. :) Maybe the image represents a pelt. ::hmm::
I agree, the bone looks good and old Mr. Winterbottom would be thrilled to know his style of jigging has reached the Orient.
Treefarmer

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Read back a couple of post and you'll see where Ken offered to send me something completely different from any traditional style, so I accepted his generous offer.
What he sent is a Rough Rider RR1110. It is a double barreled Canoe with beautiful smooth bone handles. The fit and finish is great, has an acorn shield with RR included. This joker is heavy, right at 7.5 oz., my Case 6275 I'm carrying today weighs about 3.75 oz. It's a real handful!
This is a very unusual pattern and I would assume there is no practical use for this pattern other than it being an anomaly. I would suggest not opening all the blades at once, as this thing might bite.
Ken also included a nice American flag patch. Semper Fi
Thanks Ken, I'm probably now the only feller in Washington County that has a double barreled Canoe pocket knife! (The RR listing actually calls it a "Double take Canoe".)
Treefarmer
Open up ready for action
Open up ready for action
On the scale
On the scale
Compared to a traditional, normal knife
Compared to a traditional, normal knife

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

A beauty AND a beast!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I did not realize how big those are. WOW. I've actually bid on a couple them just never enough.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Dang, that's a big ole honker. I came close to buying one of the trapper varieties. Kinda glad now that I didn't.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
americanedgetech

It was supposed to be a double Muskrat!!!

I bought three of them. I'll have to check the other box because they are not available anymore in Muskrat.

Well in any event, I'll have to find another one, and send it out to you TF. even if that Canoe is pretty...
I owe you one, and I'll find it. PROMISE!

It's hard to comprehend just what you get with these RR knives. IMHO they BEAT the Schrades all to heck. Same for the rest of the American brands that are sold that are made in China.

I'm not a hunter/gatherer type so I do not rely on a pocket knife BUT I will carry a new Camillus or Spydee ( no I won't, I lied ) to use at work.
I carry "Knife Lot" Beaters to work. I wind up with a pocket full of tiny screws, and a desk full of knives waiting for repair.

I am embarrassed by the American brands that are made in China. Not that they are bad (lied again) but they are not American knives no matter who says they are.
When I buy a Chinese knife I am proud of a good Chinese knife. Period.
These Rough Riders I keep for weekends. They are not tough but they are pretty, and they are what they say they are. Check out the 20 year old Rough Riders...

I'll get a Muskrat to you TF. Heck or high water. I will!
Ken Mc.

americanedgetech

bighomer wrote:I did not realize how big those are. WOW. I've actually bid on a couple them just never enough.
I think I paid 27.00 for three Muskrats so they are less than 10.. each.
I just opened the third box so I received 2 muskrats, and a canoe for less than any other NEW fit/finished knife that I own.
Actually you could use the bone, and throw the knife away for that price.

I have said this before... China has 29-40 thousand years as a society to get things right. The rest of us have "Dark Ages" that are what... 2,000 years?
Guess who has the advantage!@!! It's an old story that no one accepts. ::td::

I'll get that "rat" to you TF! Pass the Canoe or keep it but I'm sure it will grow on ya'. :D
Much love,K
Ken Mc.

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Don't worry about the double Muskrat, Ken. This double barreled Canoe demonstrates quite well what an unusual and interesting knife feels like! It would be interesting to know who came up with this pattern and why? I believe it will be quite a conversation piece!
Treefarmer

americanedgetech

::tu::

I'd love to see the knives that they haven't built...
Ken Mc.

deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Got a Sow Belly Stockman. Great fit and finish.
Keep Near the Cross.
americanedgetech

deltaboy wrote:Got a Sow Belly Stockman. Great fit and finish.
Yes sirreee Bub...

I just read the other night, and forgot where that the RR knives are made in the same factory as the new Schrades. Can anyone confirm this?
Attachments
RR1573.jpg
Ken Mc.

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”