Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by philco »

Watch out Greg, those congress knives kinda get in your blood after you use one a while. My favorite pattern.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
WV Papaw

Post by WV Papaw »

philco wrote:Watch out Greg, those congress knives kinda get in your blood after you use one a while. My favorite pattern.
Brother I can already see how true your words are! I've been checking out other makes/models the last couple of days. I almost picked up one on a flash sale from SMKW yesterday and regret the "almost" part! LOL
Greg
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Here is my latest Rough Rider. Bone handles with a black coating on the blades. What made me especially want this knife is the hook sharpener shield. The bolsters are called copper, but to me they look like brass, which I know is a copper alloy. I will drop it in my pocket tomorrow and give it a try.
Attachments
Rough rider fish knife
Rough rider fish knife
Rough rider fish knife
Rough rider fish knife
Mel
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

That's a fine looking fish knife ! I continue to be impressed with Rough Rider. They have over 1,000 different patterns and they still create new ones, always well thought out and therefore well designed. I also so appreciate their sharpness on arrival. You can use this fish knife which i bet will slice through fish with ease, without having to spend any time improving a blade edge.
Whomever owns Rough Rider must be a true knife lover.
kj
WV Papaw

Post by WV Papaw »

I agree; that's a good looking knife! The hook sharpener is especially neat IMHO. I have looked at the "copper" ones online and like their look but would really like to see one in person before I bought it.
Greg
hk1123

Post by hk1123 »

WV Papaw wrote:I agree; that's a good looking knife! The hook sharpener is especially neat IMHO. I have looked at the "copper" ones online and like their look but would really like to see one in person before I bought it.
I have a copper moose - the bone has some subtle colorings in it - the pile side is bloodish in direct above sunlight
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Thanks for the kind words, fellows. Regarding the color of the bone: here is a photo in direct sunlight. It is a little mottled, but I just assume that to be an effect of the dye not penetrating uniformly.

Notice the detailing on the bail. Kind of nice and it makes me kind of sad that I will probably beat it up in the boat.
Attachments
Rough Rider
Rough Rider
RR bail
RR bail
RR bail
RR bail
Mel
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

P1010950.JPG
P1010948.JPG
P1010946.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Bought these two as giveaways' and they're still sitting on my desk. Wasn't paying attention and didn't realize how small the little one is until I had it in hand.
Attachments
DSC08642.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Nice knives, QS and Jerry. I have not tried a RR sodbuster, they look good. I have a few sodbusters but none with a linerlock.

I put my fish knife through it's paces today and it performed well.
Attachments
Bass.jpg
Mel
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Picked up this RR red bone canoe a few weeks ago. For such a bargain priced knife the blade action is super smooth and fit and finish is very nice as well.
I recently purchased a S&M canoe knife at 10 times the price and although it is pretty to look at and fit and finish is nice the blade action is so rough and gritty feeling that I don't enjoy carrying or using it. I feel a bit guilty buying anything from China but have to admit the quality is good.
Attachments
RR red bone canoe knife - 1.jpg
Greg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

sunknife, many of us here have had the same experience. I began buying RR knives 10 years ago (2007, time flies !) not so much because of the low price but because they are so reliably good. I was never disappointed with even one of them. I too buy USA made knives, often in the $100 and over range. With certain USA knife manufacturers the chance of getting a knife with an annoying issue is far too high and the disappointment felt is deep after spending $100 or more.
Given this situation, guilty feelings are not really indicated.
kj
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

I hear ya KJ, I've experience that buyers remorse a few times after plopping down $100.00 + on a knife that sure looked good in the dealers photo but showed up with less than acceptable issues. I've purchase about two dozen RR knives and only had a problem with one, had a nail nick not cut deep enough into the blade to get a grab on it to open the blade. What has impressed me most is the backsprings and snap that these knives have, solid.
Greg
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Very nice Canoe, Sunknife! I keep being surprised at the workmanship in the RR knives. I have had a couple of Rough Riders that had a problem and I just figured that I should not complain too much about a knife that cost less than $15. It is a lot harder for me to feel that way when I pay over $50 for an American brand and it has a problem. I do have a S&M with the same gritty action that is really annoying.
Mel
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

sunknife wrote:I hear ya KJ, I've experience that buyers remorse a few times after plopping down $100.00 + on a knife that sure looked good in the dealers photo but showed up with less than acceptable issues. I've purchase about two dozen RR knives and only had a problem with one, had a nail nick not cut deep enough into the blade to get a grab on it to open the blade. What has impressed me most is the backsprings and snap that these knives have, solid.
I absolutely agree with this sentiment.
I have several modern, high dollar knives that I can not wait to get rid of.

I also have several old, and new RR knives that simply make me smile. Perhaps it is partly due to not expecting a lot, and actually getting quite a bit more from them in terms of useful knives that I do not have to pamper (yet I do). Or maybe it is entirely based on the fact that I do not have to worry about them.

Maybe they are like lollipops for grown folks? I don't know... I just like them.
Attachments
p (11).jpg
p (11).jpg (3.9 KiB) Viewed 5486 times
p (15).jpg
p (15).jpg (4.62 KiB) Viewed 5486 times
p (20).jpg
p (20).jpg (2.84 KiB) Viewed 5486 times
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

They are quite addictive.
Keep Near the Cross.
Chayes

Post by Chayes »

I posted in the forum asking about RR and I was directed to this thread. Glad I did! I purchased a RR canoe from eBay before I read this thread but have gone back to eBay for a carbon steel stockman. I collect Buck knives and this brand is much more reasonable with the overwhelming votes here for quality. I'm anxious about seeing them for myself. There is something primal about holding a sharpened piece of steel in your hand!! Having spent over $1000 on Buck's (from the 120 General to the mini-tickler and most models in between including the M9 fighting knife) these RR really hold an appeal. Especially since I really like the canoe style. I've only seen 3 Bucks with different handle material, my best one has stone, possibly agate scales,and the other two are wood. RR has many different handle variations that appeals to me at a very reasonable cost. I'll pass along my observations.
americanedgetech

For $1,000.00 you could buy the entire RR line up. ::super_happy::

Hmmmmmmm. I just got myself into trouble again. The fingers type, then the brain sees it. The whole line up just sounded like a cool idea~
Ken Mc.

Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

americanedgetech wrote:For $1,000.00 you could buy the entire RR line up. ::super_happy::

Hmmmmmmm. I just got myself into trouble again. The fingers type, then the brain sees it. The whole line up just sounded like a cool idea~
Yep, I'm actually starting to snag the whole "Buckshot Bone" line. It's a fun way to scratch the "new knife" itch without getting too many dirty looks from the wife. :mrgreen:
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
americanedgetech

I settled for life in the dog house a long time ago. ::nod::

"It's between ME, and your damn dogs"
I have seven Presa Canarios that are my heart, and soul. Those dogs love me, and their life so I return their kindness and put them first. After all they can't drive anywhere to get a job so I have to take care of them.

The wife is gone, the dogs are happy, and now I have cash to spend on knives. Life in the dog house brother... It does not get any better! ::super_happy::
Ken Mc.

deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Solid knifes ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

i HAVE NEVER HEARD OF "Presa Canarios". Would you mind lending your dogs a Rough Rider knife (maybe the "Dog Bone" one) and then take a pic and post it in this thread ?
I hope you do. I am looking forward to seeing these pooches already.
kj
americanedgetech

I have some pictures from a few years ago...
When I get a camera running I'll update them. ::nod::
I guess they fit the Rough Rider thread because I don't even have a set of keys to my house. No need to lock it ::tu::
Attachments
140417_007.jpg
140417_004.jpg
140417_005.jpg
20160618_142521.jpg
Ken Mc.

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Good looking dogs.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
americanedgetech

Thanks David.

I have a few chunks of flesh missing, a couple broken bones (right wrist, 2 fingers on the left hand), and countless staples/stitches from breaking up fights but they are STILL better than any wife I have had, and I always came out worse for wear than any of them. :shock:

Never a dull moment w/ 700 lbs of dogs on a half acre. ::poke::
Ken Mc.

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”