Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by treefarmer »

SMKW is the owner and imported as far as I can tell.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Several Rough Rider lines fall under the brand name including Stoneworx, Man Knives, Support the Cause and Arrowhead to name a few. Rough Rider is the house brand of SMKW. Although China is the primary source a few are produced in Pakistan and El Salvador. [Thank you Google.]
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

SMKW owns the Rough Rider trademark.

The application filed with the USPTO:
http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?ca ... =13&page=1

The notification of acceptance from the USPTO:
http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?ca ... x=0&page=1
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

So far the Quality still great.
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Still happy with them!
Keep Near the Cross.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Scott gifted me with a RR Mini-Trapper as company to a little Richards Tool-Kit knife I bought from him. Ain't she a beauty? Thank you Scott.
Attachments
DSC09272.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Jerry is that one of the 2" folders ? I bet the blades are sharp enough that no touch up is needed.
kj
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

My only rough rider a Strawberry bone Moose pattern! It is a pretty well built knife, along with a $3.99 Schrade color changing liner lock ::nod::
Attachments
image.jpeg
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Got to get some more!
Keep Near the Cross.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Once again I have been unable to resist a Rough Rider. As soon as I saw one of these on Ebay I just knew that eventually I would get one. I held off at first, hoping that the craving would subside with time. Of course that did not work: it never does ...

Here is my newest RR whittler. It is 3 13/16 inches closed. Wharncliffe main blade. Very nice fit and finish with good walk and talk. All three blades have half stops. In fact the only thing I do not like is that the half stop on the main blade is too strong. It is a bit harder to move the blade out of the half stop position than I like or is necessary. Basically, the half stop is a bug instead of a feature. Other than that this is a very cool knife. I like the beefy look and feel of the body. And I have a weakness for yellow handles, too.
Box
Box
Box
Box
This knife comes in a nice box!
Rough Rider
Rough Rider
Rough Rider
Rough Rider
I like the Wharncliffe blade, but I am not too fond of two pen blades on a whittler. Why does no one ever put two coping blades?
Back springs
Back springs
This is a split back spring whittler.
Rough Rider and Colt
Rough Rider and Colt
Here is the Rough Rider with a Colt whittler. Do you think they might have come from the same factory? The walk and talk on the RR is better. But both have a half stop on the main blade that makes opening it difficult.
Mel
WV Papaw

Post by WV Papaw »

Dinadan wrote:Once again I have been unable to resist a Rough Rider. As soon as I saw one of these on Ebay I just knew that eventually I would get one. I held off at first, hoping that the craving would subside with time. Of course that did not work: it never does ...

Here is my newest RR whittler. It is 3 13/16 inches closed. Wharncliffe main blade. Very nice fit and finish with good walk and talk. All three blades have half stops. In fact the only thing I do not like is that the half stop on the main blade is too strong. It is a bit harder to move the blade out of the half stop position than I like or is necessary. Basically, the half stop is a bug instead of a feature. Other than that this is a very cool knife. I like the beefy look and feel of the body. And I have a weakness for yellow handles, too.
RR1.jpg
RR2.jpg
RR3.jpg
RR4.jpg
I like the Wharncliffe blade, but I am not too fond of two pen blades on a whittler. Why does no one ever put two coping blades?
RR5.jpg
RR and Colt.jpg
Here is the Rough Rider with a Colt whittler. Do you think they might have come from the same factory? The walk and talk on the RR is better. But both have a half stop on the main blade that makes opening it difficult.
I just saw that one yesterday and I, too, am tempted to buy it. I agree about the 2 pen blades. I reckon one could grind/file them to something a bit more useful though n
Greg
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Mel I have long suspected the Rough Rider and the Colt knives came from the same source. I have nothing to back that up other than I see a lot of similarities between the two.

My understanding is that the Colt knives are no longer being produced at this time. Anyone know for sure ?
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have quite a few of the traditional style Colt knives from the last about 6-7 years and i am sure they come from the same place as Rough Rider knives. Both brands look and feel the same and both are very good deals for very good knives.
kj
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Love them!
Keep Near the Cross.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Dinadan wrote:Once again I have been unable to resist a Rough Rider. As soon as I saw one of these on Ebay I just knew that eventually I would get one. I held off at first, hoping that the craving would subside with time. Of course that did not work: it never does ...

RR1.jpg
RR2.jpg
RR3.jpg
RR4.jpg
RR5.jpg
RR and Colt.jpg
Just got one of these myself. Yellow. I think it will be a good whittler. ::nod:: ::nod::
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

doglegg wrote: Just got one of these myself. Yellow. I think it will be a good whittler. ::nod:: ::nod::
So far I have not seen one in anything except yellow.
kootenay joe wrote:I have quite a few of the traditional style Colt knives from the last about 6-7 years and i am sure they come from the same place as Rough Rider knives. Both brands look and feel the same and both are very good deals for very good knives.
kj
I have several Rough Riders but only a couple of Colts, so I had not noticed the similarities. But when I compare the two whittlers in the photo the body and the bolsters look like they were made on the same machine.
philco wrote:Mel I have long suspected the Rough Rider and the Colt knives came from the same source. I have nothing to back that up other than I see a lot of similarities between the two.

My understanding is that the Colt knives are no longer being produced at this time. Anyone know for sure ?
I had not heard that Colt was no longer being made.
Mel
TwoFlowersLuggage

Colt has had huge corporate debt issues for almost 20 years. The latest bankruptcy was filed in 2015, and I think they came out with a restructuring plan in 2016. I'm not sure if the knives are sold out of the same company, or if that is a different holding company. If I was one of their suppliers, I would want to be paid upfront and I wouldn't build them a knife until the check cleared!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I actually only own a couple of Chinese made knives, but today at the local flea market I ran across this one and bought it. It is my first Rough Rider and it appears to be a very good, quality made knife and the price was right for only $8.00. I have seen these referred to as a sunfish or elephant toenail pattern. It is the Rough Rider pattern number RR887 with orange bone handles.
IMG_2411.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

OC, that's knife looks good, even better enlarged.I like the scales on that one. ::tu::
Sydres

Post by Sydres »

The one rough rider I own is the "whittlin buddy" for the money these are decently built knives. My issues are that most of the rough riders i have looked at have unattractive bone and bolster ornamentation. The one i have has very ugly bone with a couple of small cracks. Aesthetics aside I still think they are decent value. My particular one takes a heck of an edge but does not hold it very long
Wharnecilff

Post by Wharnecilff »

::handshake:: I too have been tempted by the low price and large selection of patterns offered by RR and can see a valid place for them as substitutes for more expensive 'collectable' pieces when there is actually work to be done . I am new to knife collecting and treasure the few GEC and Case pieces I currently have but can't bring myself to actually 'use' them for anything other than just carrying them to show my buddies and as conversation starters. I have almost pulled the trigger on some RR knives several times, but each time I get close to doing it, I stop and think about the fine folks at Case and GEC and their families and the town's where they live, the businesses they patronize and especially the skill sets they posses and will hopefully pass along...and I just can't do it . I have resolved to save up my dollars and buy only American made knives for that reason. My knives will be passed down to family and hopefully they will continue in kind and still be able to purchase a fine American made Case,GEC,Bear and sons, etc made knife long after I am gone ...That is my personal choice, but I do understand the reason RR knives exist and more power to you if you collect and use them . The point of this hobby is the enjoyment of pocket knives and whatever you choose and however you chose to accomplish that goal is your busines, if it makes you happy , Go for it!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Wharnecilff wrote:::handshake:: I too have been tempted by the low price and large selection of patterns offered by RR and can see a valid place for them as substitutes for more expensive 'collectable' pieces when there is actually work to be done . I am new to knife collecting and treasure the few GEC and Case pieces I currently have but can't bring myself to actually 'use' them for anything other than just carrying them to show my buddies and as conversation starters. I have almost pulled the trigger on some RR knives several times, but each time I get close to doing it, I stop and think about the fine folks at Case and GEC and their families and the town's where they live, the businesses they patronize and especially the skill sets they posses and will hopefully pass along...and I just can't do it . I have resolved to save up my dollars and buy only American made knives for that reason. My knives will be passed down to family and hopefully they will continue in kind and still be able to purchase a fine American made Case,GEC,Bear and sons, etc made knife long after I am gone ...That is my personal choice, but I do understand the reason RR knives exist and more power to you if you collect and use them . The point of this hobby is the enjoyment of pocket knives and whatever you choose and however you chose to accomplish that goal is your busines, if it makes you happy , Go for it!
Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard. It sure would be great to see some of the knives in your collection. Pop on back when you get a chance and show 'em off.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
bigbore

Post by bigbore »

Small swingguard
and clasp- or deer slayer- knives
20181028_142658.jpg
Erwin
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

bigbore, nice ones. These give some indication that Rough Rider actually offers the greatest range of patterns of any knife brand.
kj
TwoFlowersLuggage

Yes and no KJ - it seems like the patterns tend to go in and out of availability. For example, right now, SMKW doesn't have any of the RR swing guards in stock, and I think there might be only one of the larger folding hunters.

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”