Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
kootenay joe

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by kootenay joe »

The owner of Rough Rider is an American and must have at least a few Americans employed for distribution etc. i.e. Rough Rider is an American company that has their knives made in China, same as Spyderco, Columbia River Knife & Tool, etc.
Fight'n Rooster had a Double Muskrat pattern, made in Germany, late 1970's, so maybe it is a vintage German or British pattern.
kj
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That is a funny thought. :)
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

I get ya" TF.
I have "go to town" knifes. They are the ones I want to be known by IF lightning strikes or IF I have to depend on them.

In my most humble opinion... RR are not those knives BUT you can buy a 2 pound box of them, and donate them to your church group to give out to the kids, Scouts, or weekend whittlers group. Maybe a hundred bucks will cover 40 knives if you set it up.

Maybe a month later some one will come up to you, and say... "Where's your RR sir?" :lol:

I THINK Schrades that people still love (Made IN China) are made in the same facility but the RR is the main focus there. ::tu::

Besides the tough time on the continent of origin, point out the working flaws compared to the new Schrades. I bet ya' they are dead even.
In fact I have a newer Winchester that I BET is made in the same facility. $5.00 to any charity says it is.
Attachments
DSCN0264.jpg
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

They are inexpensive and they hold a good edge. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Got a RR CANOE this week and it was packed tightly in the box with foam peanuts!.
Keep Near the Cross.
americanedgetech

Same here for the thumb stud ,single blade trapper.
They took the time to line up the peanuts under, and above the knife.

It actually made me smile... :D
Ken Mc.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have so many Rough Rider knives i need a pick-up to pack them around, yet i just bought 3 more. Why ? I think it is for the overall good feeling i get from handling a well made nicely finished knife. So i'm paying an average of just over $10 for each episode of feeling good. That's about the same price as a movie or A&W meal and in addition to the good feelings i also get something physical that is useful or could be traded or sold.
Yesterday i picked up 3 new RR knives, each one is winner, wonderful knives regardless of price.
4 1/4" Trapper with bone handles, peach seed like jigging with threaded bolsters & caps, almost reminiscent of early Schrade-Walden.
3 5/8" Tobacco Bone 'Double' Canoe. This is a heavy knife, like my GEC # 46 Toenail. What is so neat about this Double Canoe is that all 4 blades lie low when closed, so when gripping knife with one blade open it is comfortable (very !). There is no blade spine sticking into your hand.
Remarkably impressive knife.
3 5/8" Sowbelly, 'Silver Select' with pink bone handles and fancy bolsters and cigar band. An all round fine knife in beautiful pink.
I will post pictures sometime after dawn.
kj
Attachments
012.JPG
013.JPG
015.JPG
016.JPG
017.JPG
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

::tu::
americanedgetech wrote:Same here for the thumb stud ,single blade trapper.
They took the time to line up the peanuts under, and above the knife.

It actually made me smile... :D
I agree
Keep Near the Cross.
americanedgetech

When you need to add a trailer to haul your knives...
That's the moment you KNOW there is a problem. Until then, keep on truckin'. :lol:
Ken Mc.

deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Got a RR PEANUT Coming off the bay!
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

It's a cute Yellow Peanut!
Keep Near the Cross.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

All right all you Rough Rider aficinados, lisen up!
Back on October 26, I made a post about a RR trapper I had recieved from an anonymous source. I agreed to carry and use it as an everyday knife. I have carried it faithfully as I said and finally got to give it a honest work out this evening. I've sharpened pencils, opened packages, cut some vines and bushes and it has performed well.
Today was one of the doe days here in our part of the Panhandle. After watching the FSU/Florida game I told Miss Joy I was going over to the lease and kill a doe and so I did. I decided to dress the doe with the RR trapper. I sharpened it up, both blades and went to work. I dressed the doe using ONLY the clip blade and was quit impressed that it held the edge like it did. This included cutting up the middle of the rib cage, using two hands It held up really well so there is proof that this is a usable knife. I didn't get any pictures till I was done but like the dude on Forged in Fire says, This knife will cut!
Treefarmer
One blade, one deer, still sharp.
One blade, one deer, still sharp.

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Great post Farmer, glad to hear that the knife held up to that work out. I have a bunch of them and l'm impressed with the fit and finish for the money. I'm not saying they compare with GEC,Case or any other high end knife, but I will say I've never got one with no snap and only one that was gritty feeling and a flush with WD 40 cured that. Thats just my 2 cents worth ymmv. ::tu::
americanedgetech

You sure made me smile TF.
with all the troubles in this world it is nice to see that you can still set out for a deer, get one, and actually dress it up with a 12 dollar knife. This sounds like life 40 years ago... :D
Ken Mc.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Treefarmer, thanks for posting your good results using an RR knife to field dress your doe. In Nov. 2010 is used an RR Jumbo Trapper, new, right out of box, no touch up, to fully field dress a whitetail buck including amputating all 4 lower limbs cutting through from the hair side. When i was done the blade i used would still shave arm hair. Of the 50+ deer i have dressed out the RR knife sliced through the tissues with greater ease than any other knife i had used including custom knives by makers known for super sharp edges. I made a post about this on BF but pictures are no longer there.
Now you have posted the same using a different RR knife which is proof that RR knives give real world top cutting results. For a $10 knife to out perform all others is so hard to believe but it is true. If you hunt try one of the Rough Rider patterns. I used a 4 3/8" Jumbo Trapper from the "Outdoorsman Series" i think it was.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Correction: the RR i used to field dress is part of the "Trapper Series", RR1032. It is the one shown below with blades open, 4 3/8" closed. Also shown in the box is RR1031, 2 blades, 5 1/8" closed, basically a long Trapper. ("Jumbo Trappers" are deeper top to bottom)
I think the Trapper Series are about the best of all the RR's and they were only available for a brief period in 2009-10. If you see one for sale and you want an absolutely First Rate user, buy it.
kj
Attachments
IMGP3147.JPG
IMGP3148.JPG
IMGP3149.JPG
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

KJ,
I'll agree with you that they are okay Chinese knives but I'll have to disagree with the comment saying, "For a $10 knife to out perform all others.....", that's an opinion that will probably not hold water at least in my camp. We'll have to agree to disagree on this. ::handshake::
Treefarmer
Edit: just noticed that SMKW has RR Trappers for $6.99, that is a good deal, you could afford to lose a few of them without getting a broken heart. ::tu::

deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Got a RR PEANUT and it is great! ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

The anonymously donated RR Trapper is still being used, try to be a man of my word. :)
The doe I dressed and broke down with the RR has been in the cooler for 10 days. Last evening I started processing, completed one ham and did the same this morning. Still using the RR to "muscle bone" the hams and remove some of the silver skin. I could probably do the whole job with the RR but fileting the silver skin with a filet knife and then slicing the muscles cross grain is much easier. Right tool for the right job.
Boned out the shoulders and cut the backstraps into about 2" boneless chops minus the silver skin all with the help of my anonymously donated RR and a filet knife. Shoulder meat is for pure ground venison and the trim all goes into sausage.
The RR is showing some wear, surprisingly in the handles. I'll point those out on the next update of the donated Rough Rider.
Treefarmer
RR separating muscles
RR separating muscles
RR standing by after filet knife did its work.  Bigger pile is sliced about 1/4" for frying, the small pile is the beginning of sausage
RR standing by after filet knife did its work. Bigger pile is sliced about 1/4" for frying, the small pile is the beginning of sausage

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Nice post treefarmer. Seems the RR is doing a good job and edge holding as well as or better than a Case, Queen or GEC. To be able to field dress a deer and then do some of the butchering with the same 3" blade is very good performance. Many knives are less than sharp after field dressing alone, no butchering.
I have not got a deer this year. There is a bow season until Dec 20. If i am lucky i think i will try one of my GEC folding knives.
kj
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

kJ,
I'm sorry if I didn't include the fact that I did stroke the RR on a crock stick before I started on the processing yesterday. To be clear I dressed and quartered the deer after sharpening it one time. Last evening and today I have kept it tuned up with a steel along with the edge of the filet knife, no need letting it dull and having to fight the work.
Treefarmer

stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

All that venison looks soooo good Treefarmer....after I retired in 2006 and bought a
place in Arizona in 2010, I have not been deer hunting for over 10 yrs....
thats after never missing a rifle opener in Michigan for 27 straight yrs
Makes my mouth water bud !!!

Stag
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman
eveled

Post by eveled »

I have been pleasantly surprised by the RR I have bought. Also impresed with the selection of models, that seem to have been forgotten by other makers. I am impressed by the efficient use of space and how well the blades fit with each other when closed. The handles are mostly very attractive too. Over all very nicely done. For a bargain price.

I have one serious question though. What is up with the nail nicks? Almost like a match striker even on the half moon nail nicks. It annoys me that it collects crud and is hard to keep clean.

Have you ever seen a similar nick on another knife? Or is this a RR only thing?
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

eveled wrote: I have one serious question though. What is up with the nail nicks? Almost like a match striker even on the half moon nail nicks. It annoys me that it collects crud and is hard to keep clean.

Have you ever seen a similar nick on another knife? Or is this a RR only thing?
This is a Bulldog Cotton Sampler.
Attachments
Bull Dog Cotton Sampler 01.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Here you go, eveled! Here's a RR nail nick gummed up with deer fat. Rise it under the hot water and it will be good to go.
Deer fat hung in the nail nick, waitin' for a hot water rinse!
Deer fat hung in the nail nick, waitin' for a hot water rinse!
Got to use the RR Trapper again this afternoon. The little 4 point that the grandsons couldn't get to come in at Thanksgiving is now quietly resting in the old Oak tree minus his hide and innards thanks to the Anonymously donated RR. Touched it up with my crock sticks before I started, the only thing it didn't do was cut off the lower hind legs, the pelvis bone and split the sternum. These were accomplished with a Milwaukee sawzall. :)
Still trying to work it to death.
Treefarmer
Bambi right before he lost his hide thanks to the RR Trapper.
Bambi right before he lost his hide thanks to the RR Trapper.

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”