Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by treefarmer »

Dang, Jerry! I had forgotten about the Greater Texas One Sided Boll Weevil! If I can get Miss Joy to leave for the doctor's office a little early, I'll check the little green traps on a couple of fields that we will drive by and see if any have showed up in the Florida Panhandle. If I find any, I'll let you know. :) ::handshake::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I plan on getting a Cotton Sampler after the first of the year!
Keep Near the Cross.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

deltaboy wrote:I plan on getting a Cotton Sampler after the first of the year!
It's a very cool pattern Delta!
I think I will wait until I can find/afford a Northwoods sampler. It is a beautiful pattern, and a classic example of Americana.

I didn't mean to mix brands/posts but the cotton sampler in North... is't superb.

You all know that I am a Rough Rider supporter. ::nod:: Cheap, and easy... that's me! ::tu::
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (6.1 KiB) Viewed 3692 times
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

You have a PM.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

americanedgetech wrote:
I think I will wait until I can find/afford a Northwoods sampler. It is a beautiful pattern, and a classic example of Americana.

I didn't mean to mix brands/posts but the cotton sampler in North... is't superb.

You all know that I am a Rough Rider supporter. ::nod:: Cheap, and easy... that's me! ::tu::

Those Northwoods knifes are great!
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

americanedgetech wrote:

Those Northwoods knifes are great!
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Rough Rider knifes are along with Marbles a best buy in my book.
Keep Near the Cross.
truck

Post by truck »

I probably have around twenty RRs and I'm really impressed with them. My favorite pattern of theirs is their sowbelly. Extremely well engineered and put together, plus very handsome to boot.
I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar.
WV Papaw

Post by WV Papaw »

I picked these RRs up for Christmas gifts on SMKW Black Friday sale. I’m pretty impressed with them overall and especially for less than $6 each. https://i.imgur.com/DZzdjFm_d.jpg?maxwi ... ity=medium

(My apologies for not getting the photo to show properly.)
Greg
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

For future reference, here's the Rough Rider photo linked above:
Attachments
Rough Riders.jpg
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Nice Plilco.
Keep Near the Cross.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

The Anonymously donated RR Trapper is still being used. Gotta' keep the ol' ball a rollin'! ::tu::
I was sittin' in the shootin' house this evening and realized I hadn't cut a notch on the door jamb for the last deer I had killed from this stand. ( Kinda' like the old gun fighters used to notch their revolver grips. Hey, I know a Redneck in Orange County that notches his rifle stock, it's a mess after 40+ years!) So I whipped out the RR and notched the pine 2X4 door jamb. Here is a picture of the event to be preserved for those who are true RR fans. :)
RR doin' a little door jamb decoratin'.
RR doin' a little door jamb decoratin'.

Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Cool way to mark your deers!
Keep Near the Cross.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Got this RR Mini-Trapper in today. This sucker is one smooth operator. The blades open and close as smooth as butter and the snap is sharp and loud. The pull on both blades is just right for me. I have to admit, I'm really impressed. Handles are slightly darker than I expected but not excessively. For a Pacific Rim knife, this is a dandy.
Attachments
DSC08815.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Nice Trapper Jerry D.
I love the smooth bone color.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

" For a Pacific Rim knife, this is a dandy."
I began buying RR knives in 2007 and was amazed with every knife. Never received even one with a significant issue. I was on BF back then and members posted lots about their new Case or Queen having blade play or bad rub, etc. I posted about the $10 delivered RR's being "pretty good" (i was trying to not stir anybody up). People posted i knew nothing about knives and from that point on i was seen as an enemy by many. But i still kept buying more RR's right up to the present. What amazes me now is that what were very good knives 11 years ago have become even BETTER in the last about 2 (?) years. The fit & finish is now excellent and consistently so. I still have not received even one RR folder that is a 'bummer'. My problem now is what do i do with 300 or more Rough Riders ? At least they only represent about $3000 tied up.
I would amend Jerry's quote to just " this is a dandy". Regardless of where it came from and regardless of price paid, it is still "a dandy".
I think i do not have that exact little Trapper. I think i need to get this dandy. Jerry do you know the RR # ?
kj
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I have a list of RR knives that I want to buy, but every time I get close to pulling the trigger on some of them, a used Case pops-up and I spend money on that instead. Then, when I get the Case, I get a bit of buyer's remorse, because I know I could have bought 2 or 3 brand new RRs for what I paid for the nothing special, used, late model Case. Don't get me wrong - I also love the Case, but my bottom-feeder, cheapskate, value buyer gene kicks-in. The next month, the cycle repeats itself...

Does anyone know if the factory that makes RRs makes knives under any other names or for any other brands?
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

I do not have anywhere near as many as kootenay joe , but every now and then I think that my Rough Riders represent enough money to have bought a couple or a few fine Queens or Fight'n Roosters. I just have a hard time resisting knives and it is so easy to hit the buy button on a $15 knife!

Here is one of my latest Rough Riders. I have not seen a lot of these floating around Ebay, but it seems that there is always one or two.
Attachments
Rough Rider
Rough Rider
Mel
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

TFL, Smoky Mtn Knife Works owns the RR brand. They, like all brand owners, keep the manufacturer secret. I have bought a few of almost every brand of China made traditional style folding knives. None are as well made as the RR's. Some of the Steel Warrior knives are as good but not all. Maybe S.W. uses more than one manufacturer ?
My reaction also surprises me. I get as much satisfaction from looking at & handling my Rough Riders as i do from my Northwoods, or Queen, etc.
Same when i open up a new arrival, just as much pleasure as from an expensive knife.
The problem is custom knives. I like custom made knives and have some by Joel Chamblin, Ken Erickson, Jerry Halfrich, etc. and they don't really cut that much better than a Rough Rider. The difference in smoothness, handle fit, etc. is not huge. The huge difference is price, the customs cost about 80 times the RR price. How can i justify buying another custom ? (rhetorical)
kj
TwoFlowersLuggage

KJ: Oh, no - I'm not going down the road of actually having to *justify* a knife purchase - that path leads to a knife collector's hades... ::not_saying::
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I was gunna stop 9,000 knives ago.
kj
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

They look nice and do what I need cut stuff!
Keep Near the Cross.
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Had to scratch a knife buy itch but didn't wanna spend much at this time since I made a vow to myself to slow my roll on the knife budget this year. Got these two recently for around 8 bucks a piece. The mini trapper at 3-1/2" is what I think is called 'black' (or) 'black lip' pearl and the whittler which also is 3-1/2" appears to be imitation pearl with a pearl shield. Both are nicely fitted, tight knives with the smooth blade action and nice snap, which in my experience has been something I can count on from RR knives. Delivered scary sharp too.
a few pics...
Attachments
RR Pearl Mini Trapper 1 - 1.jpg
RR Pearl Mini Trapper 2 - 1.jpg
RR Whittler w-imitation pearl - 1.jpg
Greg
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Tried to snap the photos between rain drops but as you can see we all got a little wet. :D
Greg
TwoFlowersLuggage

I was going to ask where you got the knife with the really cool raindrop patterns... :D

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”