Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by zed6309 »

dlr110 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:09 am Has anyone bought the Rough Ryder Copper Ridge Series?
Capture.JPG
David I've not got any of the copper ridge series but ive got the backwoods Barlow in copper , I got it in a secret santa, it's got a great patina, almost like a oil rainbow effect :D
IMG_2020-12-28_15-44-9_578.jpg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

zed6309 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:44 pm
dlr110 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:09 am Has anyone bought the Rough Ryder Copper Ridge Series?
Capture.JPG
David I've not got any of the copper ridge series but ive got the backwoods Barlow in copper , I got it in a secret santa, it's got a great patina, almost like a oil rainbow effect :D IMG_2020-12-28_15-44-9_578.jpg
There's a good looker, Paul ::tu:: ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Steve Warden wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:57 pm
Capture.JPG
David I've not got any of the copper ridge series but ive got the backwoods Barlow in copper , I got it in a secret santa, it's got a great patina, almost like a oil rainbow effect :D IMG_2020-12-28_15-44-9_578.jpg
There's a good looker, Paul ::tu:: ::tu::
Cheers Steve ::tu::
Paul,

TPK

Post by TPK »

Looks like a nice one Paul! ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

TPK wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:31 pm Looks like a nice one Paul! ::tu:: :D
Cheers Tom , it's well made and I like copper especially when it Patina's :D ::tu::
Paul,

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Capture.JPG
Yes Sir, that is a very good series and I have most of them in it. I'm going to order one of the Copper Ridge Series, just to see if they are as good as the other RR series knives. Thanks for your comments everyone.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

ROUGH RYDER VG-10 COPPER DROP POINT
ITEM NUMBER: RR2164 In stock and $29.00 at Smoky.
I received the VG-10 last week, it Features: VG-10 Stainless Steel Blade. Satin Finish. Copper Handles. Linerlock. Flipper. Ambidextrous Thumb Studs. Screw Rivets. Anodized Stainless Steel Liners. Tip-Up Pocket Clip and came with a Cleaning Cloth.
Measurements: 2.8" Drop Point Blade. .11" Thick. 4.25" Closed. 7.125" Overall. 5.92oz.

Very happy with it. Easy flipper, excellent workmanship.
I do like the Patina on Paul's "Backwoods Barlow" above, however, everytime I pick up my pictured VG-10 pictured below, I have a tendency to wipe it down with my cleaning cloth. I like the shiny new appearance.

IMG_0004 (2).JPG
IMG_0005 (3).JPG
IMG_0003 (4).JPG
IMG_0001 (6).JPG
IMG_0002 (4).JPG
Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Okay folks here I go. As I stated earlier I ordered the RR Copper Ridge Congress and Large Stockman and they got here in only 3 days.

Lets start with the "rose copper titanium coated 440A stainless steel blades." I'm not a fan yet of the color; there is no half stop on the Stockman, but there are on the Congress. However in the half stop position the blades are slightly loose. All blades are very sharp, but I wouldn't have any idea how they would hold up with every day use.

The jigged buffalo horn handles just don't feel comfortable in my hand with the up and down pattern.

The copper pins are protruding too far above the handle surface or the jig. There appears to have been no attempt to get them as flush as possible.

I got them from SMKW and they call them a "stylish antique looking knife," well I don't know about that, they're just not my cup of tea. I don't believe they have the same quality of manufacturing or attention to details as the other RR's I have in my collection. I may not have gotten the best knives in that series and you could get better ones, or I could just be a crazy ole fool, either way I don't think I'm going to buy the others in the series.
Attachments
20201231_162228.jpg
20201231_174022.jpg

KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

David...thanks for a concise review on the Copper Ridge knives. I was looking at them...but now?? ::hmm:: The ridges in the horn, along with the protruding raised pins, it seems it would cause some 'hot spots' on one's hand if used often. ::shrug::

As a side note: I got the Copper Coil series (three knives) a couple months ago, and I REALLY like them. Very well made.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

KLJ77 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:35 am David...thanks for a concise review on the Copper Ridge knives. I was looking at them...but now?? ::hmm:: The ridges in the horn, along with the protruding raised pins, it seems it would cause some 'hot spots' on one's hand if used often. ::shrug::

As a side note: I got the Copper Coil series (three knives) a couple months ago, and I REALLY like them. Very well made.
I've thought about the copper coil series, but just haven't pulled that trigger yet.
Now that I've thought a little more, the only thing I can say good about that handle pattern is that your fingers will not slide down toward the open blade. But they're still uncomfortable.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I would like to know if all of the Rough Rider folding knives are made in the same factory.
I do not have many of the copper bolster knives or the metal handle RR's but the ones i have are not quite as finely made as the older bone handle RR's like the Rifleman Series, Trapper Series, Armor Hide bone knives, Black Cherry RR's, etc.
My thought is that the RR's of Traditional design might be made in a different factory than the other types of RR folding knives.
The Traditional style RR's are by far the best deal ever for a folding knife. The hardest part to accept is the very low price ( ~ $15) because it makes you believe it simply cannot be a well made knife with decent steel. When you use them you find out they are extremely well made and with super sharp blades that edge hold very well.
I think Rough Rider knives are making a significant contribution to the popularity and appreciation of Traditional style folding knives.
And it is a most 'adventuresome' brand, continually bringing out new never before seen designs.
They have become an inexpensive way to build a fine knife collection.
kj
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:10 pm I would like to know if all of the Rough Rider folding knives are made in the same factory.
I do not have many of the copper bolster knives or the metal handle RR's but the ones i have are not quite as finely made as the older bone handle RR's like the Rifleman Series, Trapper Series, Armor Hide bone knives, Black Cherry RR's, etc.
My thought is that the RR's of Traditional design might be made in a different factory than the other types of RR folding knives.
The Traditional style RR's are by far the best deal ever for a folding knife. The hardest part to accept is the very low price ( ~ $15) because it makes you believe it simply cannot be a well made knife with decent steel. When you use them you find out they are extremely well made and with super sharp blades that edge hold very well.
I think Rough Rider knives are making a significant contribution to the popularity and appreciation of Traditional style folding knives.
And it is a most 'adventuresome' brand, continually bringing out new never before seen designs.
They have become an inexpensive way to build a fine knife collection.
kj
Roland,
A couple months ago, Andy at smkw "Guys Talk Knives" was reviewing the new Rough Ryder Reserve series and stated that even though Rough Ryder has its own factory, the Rough Ryder Reserve knives are not manufactured in their "standard" RR factory.
According to Andy, SMKW uses a "Premium" factory for the RRR production. Alan also stated that the premium factory has "insane" Quality Control.
Perhaps RR uses this other mentioned factory for other RR productions. ::shrug::
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

dlr110 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:50 pm Okay folks here I go. As I stated earlier I ordered the RR Copper Ridge Congress and Large Stockman and they got here in only 3 days.

Lets start with the "rose copper titanium coated 440A stainless steel blades." I'm not a fan yet of the color; there is no half stop on the Stockman, but there are on the Congress. However in the half stop position the blades are slightly loose. All blades are very sharp, but I wouldn't have any idea how they would hold up with every day use.

The jigged buffalo horn handles just don't feel comfortable in my hand with the up and down pattern.

The copper pins are protruding too far above the handle surface or the jig. There appears to have been no attempt to get them as flush as possible.

I got them from SMKW and they call them a "stylish antique looking knife," well I don't know about that, they're just not my cup of tea. I don't believe they have the same quality of manufacturing or attention to details as the other RR's I have in my collection. I may not have gotten the best knives in that series and you could get better ones, or I could just be a crazy ole fool, either way I don't think I'm going to buy the others in the series.
Sorry to read about the poor RR Copper Ridge conditions David. :(
Where the heck was "Quality Control. ::shrug::
I'm sure that you are not the only one to have this problem with the series. Perhaps smkw can work this out?
Dan
Dan
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Dan I plan on sending them a review and pic's. I do a lot of business with them on more than just RR's, hopefully they will take some kind of appropriate action.

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Okay, here is the RR Stag Lockback I received today.
The first thing I noticed was it was advertised by SMKW on their website as a "RYDER" but it came in a "RIDER" box.
The next thing I noticed was the tang stamp has the Rough Rider logo, but the name is spelled "ROUGH RIDE." The picture on their website has that same spelling on it.
On the pile side it's stamped "SURGICAL STEEL PAKISTAN." I was not aware of a factory in Pakistan.
I called SMKW and they confirm that they do have some knives that come from Pakistan and that some of the older boxes could still be used. The misspelling of the name was a surprise and she stated she would insure the owner was made aware of it. She also assured me that if they shipped it that I did not receive a fake. She then offered to replace the knife, but I declined stating that all of them that came from that same Pakistan factory most likely had the same mistake. What happen to "Quality Control?"
20210104_133144.jpg
20210104_122648.jpg
20210104_133203.jpg

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

dlr110 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:40 pm Okay, here is the RR Stag Lockback I received today.
The first thing I noticed was it was advertised by SMKW on their website as a "RYDER" but it came in a "RIDER" box.
The next thing I noticed was the tang stamp has the Rough Rider logo, but the name is spelled "ROUGH RIDE." The picture on their website has that same spelling on it.
On the pile side it's stamped "SURGICAL STEEL PAKISTAN." I was not aware of a factory in Pakistan.
I called SMKW and they confirm that they do have some knives that come from Pakistan and that some of the older boxes could still be used. The misspelling of the name was a surprise and she stated she would insure the owner was made aware of it. She also assured me that if they shipped it that I did not receive a fake. She then offered to replace the knife, but I declined stating that all of them that came from that same Pakistan factory most likely had the same mistake. What happen to "Quality Control?"
20210104_133144.jpg20210104_122648.jpg20210104_133203.jpg

I've only seen a couple RR made in Pakistan. They didn't seem to be near the quality of the ones made in China .
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
LanG

Post by LanG »

I found a couple for a good price at a flea market Saturday. I like the patterns, and that the bolsters are plain.
They're both nice and sharp, and the blades are tight, but could use a touch of oil.
The scales on the sowbelly have an interesting pattern. Feels good in hand...
RR2.jpg
Lan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

LanG wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:53 pm I found a couple for a good price at a flea market Saturday. I like the patterns, and that the bolsters are plain.
They're both nice and sharp, and the blades are tight, but could use a touch of oil.
The scales on the sowbelly have an interesting pattern. Feels good in hand...

RR2.jpg
Nice find LanG. ::nod::
A pair of oldies, appears to be unused and I like the plain bolsters without the annoying "R" logo.

Dan
Dan
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

It's quite amazing, you nearly could not give away RR's when they first appeared, now you can hardly find any of the earlier production runs. ::doh::
LanG

Post by LanG »

Old Folder wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:03 pm
Nice find LanG. ::nod::
A pair of oldies, appears to be unused and I like the plain bolsters without the annoying "R" logo.

Dan
Thank you, Dan. I'm not a fan of the "R" logo either.
Lan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

LanG wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:23 am
Thank you, Dan. I'm not a fan of the "R" logo either.
And Jerry makes three.

This one finally showed up in my mailbox.
Rough Rider RR100 Mini-Trapper Trump 2020 - Labeled.JPG

It's this knife with embellishments on the mark side.
Rough Rider RR100 White Bone - Labeled.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

RE: post above by "Edge": Rough Rider fixed blades have always ? come from Pakistan. I have never before heard of a RR folder coming from Pakistan and being marked as "Rough Ride" makes me think of it as a fake Rough Rider.
Anyone else here have an RR folder from Pakistan ?
kj
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:35 pm RE: post above by "Edge": Rough Rider fixed blades have always ? come from Pakistan. I have never before heard of a RR folder coming from Pakistan and being marked as "Rough Ride" makes me think of it as a fake Rough Rider.
kj

Yes. A few years ago I purchased a RR FB from SMKW. It was made in Pakistan. It was a piece of sh.....
I gave it away.
I seriously doubt anyone is faking RR at this point in time.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

edge213 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:15 am
kootenay joe wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:35 pm RE: post above by "Edge": Rough Rider fixed blades have always ? come from Pakistan. I have never before heard of a RR folder coming from Pakistan and being marked as "Rough Ride" makes me think of it as a fake Rough Rider.
kj

Yes. A few years ago I purchased a RR FB from SMKW. It was made in Pakistan. It was a piece of sh.....
I gave it away.
I was asking about RR folding knives marked "Pakistan" like the one described above. As it is marked "Rough Ride" not Rough Rider" and is from Pakistan, not China, it sounds like a 'knock off' aka "fake" to me.
Rough Rider has established itself as making excellent quality traditional style folders so it is possible that someone will try to make money by selling very cheaply made knives with a name that is Rough Rider without the last 'r'.
kj
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:31 am
edge213 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:15 am
kj

I gave it away.
I was asking about RR folding knives marked "Pakistan" like the one described above. As it is marked "Rough Ride" not Rough Rider" and is from Pakistan, not China, it sounds like a 'knock off' aka "fake" to me.
Rough Rider has established itself as making excellent quality traditional style folders so it is possible that someone will try to make money by selling very cheaply made knives with a name that is Rough Rider without the last 'r'.
kj
Roland ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Dan

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”