Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by QTCut5 »

I don't have many (or even like most) RR knives, but I recently paid the princely sum of $54.29 for this Rough Ryder Reserve Hedgehog and I quite like it. Well made, very solid, sturdy, good size knife with my preferred blades (Clip and Wharncliffe) and opposite-end 2-blade configuration. Only wish it had a single back spring (instead of two springs and a brass center liner) so it wouldn't be quite so thick/heavy.

P4230008.JPG
P4230009.JPG

Nicely centered blades
P4230015.JPG

Pretty thick with the two back springs and brass center liner
P4230019.JPG

Notice the non-protruding tang shoulder of the closed blade
P4230013.JPG
P4230012.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

This VG-10 Mini Trapper is my favorite "regular" Rough Ryder.
Rough Ryder VG-10.JPG

~Q~
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "Notice the non-protruding tang shoulder of the closed blade"
That is called a "sunk joint", quite 'classy' construction. I agree it would be a superior knife with a single spring.
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:20 am This VG-10 Mini Trapper is my favorite "regular" Rough Ryder.
Rough Ryder VG-10.JPG
You and me Bub. Two peas in a pod. It's high on the list but I wouldn't call it my favorite.
Rough Rider RR2101 VG10 Mini-Trapper - Labeled.JPG

This Smooth Tobbaco Bone with Acorn shield is my favorite.
Rough Rider RR778 Mini Trapper Smooth Tobacco Bone - Labeled.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
CamMan21

Post by CamMan21 »

Some new RRs from SMKW today...

Very pleased with all of them. Not even the slightest liner gap anywhere in the batch.
58DC6933-F951-49A7-93B7-47C26F452C43.jpeg
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Great selection CamMan ::tu::

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

r redden wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:21 am I know some of you will disagree but I think RR's are a great way to experience different patterns without spending a lot of money. Everyone when first starting out collecting traditional pocket knives are bombarded by the abundance of different patterns available and really don't have a clue as to what they like. From the way it looks to the number of blades, blade shape, length, how it fits in your hand and on and on. When I finally decided what I truly wanted to collect was traditional pocket knives I thought I needed to buy everything that the folks on Blade Forums were raving about (my only source of info at the time). I started buying knives because of popularity of certain custom makers and production brands having no idea what I was doing and in a short while I had spent about $4000 and though I really liked some of them I also found I had a lot of knives that really didn't appeal to me. I started selling them off and only recouped about 70% of my money. I then read a thread where the OP stated that the RR's were good knife and it was an inexpensive way to try different patterns for little money then when you decided what you did and did not like you could purchase better quality knives with confidence. I took this advice and was on my way to building a collection that I truly enjoyed. I think this is great advice for newbie's and anyone looking to try a new pattern they've never tried and get some good little knives for gifting or use. Here's a reality check the first photo is about $85 worth of RR's the second about $85 worth of GEC.

Betcha you would get a lot more than $85 for that GEC boys knife. Definitely. And the price is still going up. And probably couldn't get back the $85 worth of RRs even if they were unused pristine new in the box. Which is the better investment?
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Betcha you would get a lot more than $85 for that GEC boys knife. Definitely. And the price is still going up. And probably couldn't get back the $85 worth of RRs even if they were unused pristine new in the box. Which is the better investment?
I hear what you're saying, IMan and understand the logic. However, a lot of times, the 'investment' isn't in the dollar amount of a knife, but in what appeals to the buyer / collector. For me, I fully understand I'll NEVER get out of my collections or assortment of knives I've got, for what I paid. A lot of my knives 'are' high end knives, but I also have a slew of cheaper knives that appealed to me, whether it be the design or the 'eye catching' appeal. I have some Steel Warriors and Ocoee River knives by Frost that are very nice and well made knives. Not an investment, per se, but nice enough that if I wanted to gift them, they would be very acceptable to the recipient.

But to answer your question...the GEC is the better investment, if that's the road one desires to travel. ::tu:: But then, I tend to believe that; everything depreciates and loses their original value at some point, depending on the economy, supply & demand, etc. I found that out after Dale Earnhardt SR. died at Daytona in 2001 Every Dale Sr. die cast car I had of his plummeted to virtually nothing within 18 months of his death. Now, all I have are some metal & plastic cars with legit autographs I couldn't sell for $10.00. I lost $$$$$ big time because I erroneously thought his die cast would appreciate and hold. ::facepalm:: ::dang:: As the world turns...

On the other hand...I truly enjoy looking at all the GREAT knives you show us. ::tu:: You do make me drool sometimes. :D
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

In case I haven't said it before (and I most likely have), I buy knives for my own pleasure, not as an investment nor the intent of selling them later.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

KLJ77 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:33 pm
I hear what you're saying, IMan and understand the logic. However, a lot of times, the 'investment' isn't in the dollar amount of a knife, but in what appeals to the buyer / collector. For me, I fully understand I'll NEVER get out of my collections or assortment of knives I've got, for what I paid. A lot of my knives 'are' high end knives, but I also have a slew of cheaper knives that appealed to me, whether it be the design or the 'eye catching' appeal. I have some Steel Warriors and Ocoee River knives by Frost that are very nice and well made knives. Not an investment, per se, but nice enough that if I wanted to gift them, they would be very acceptable to the recipient.

But to answer your question...the GEC is the better investment, if that's the road one desires to travel. ::tu:: But then, I tend to believe that; everything depreciates and loses their original value at some point, depending on the economy, supply & demand, etc. I found that out after Dale Earnhardt SR. died at Daytona in 2001 Every Dale Sr. die cast car I had of his plummeted to virtually nothing within 18 months of his death. Now, all I have are some metal & plastic cars with legit autographs I couldn't sell for $10.00. I lost $$$$$ big time because I erroneously thought his die cast would appreciate and hold. ::facepalm:: ::dang:: As the world turns...

On the other hand...I truly enjoy looking at all the GREAT knives you show us. ::tu:: You do make me drool sometimes. :D

I hope you're right and all knives will someday depreciate, then I can buy more GEC at reasonable prices. HOWEVER, many on this site have said for YEARS that GECs will come back to earth. Not so. They are going in the opposite direction. To the stratosphere and beyond. I like knowing the hundred dollar GEC knives I have bought, and USED and loved, sell for two or three times what I paid even while used. Can't do that with a RR.

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:21 pm In case I haven't said it before (and I most likely have), I buy knives for my own pleasure, not as an investment nor the intent of selling them later.

I don't buy them to re-sell either. I buy what I like to use and carry. But what a sweet side-effect, or consolation to have a used knife go way up in value, don't you think? And when I leave my loved knives behind to my beloved kids when I take the last journey across the sky to the happy hunting grounds and the last roundup, they will be worth a small fortune to the kids. I had nothing to do with it either, it was all GEC and Derrick Bohn. RIP DB, love the knives you got GEC to make. What other knife will do that? Not your RR, your Chris Reeves, your Benchmade, Mokis, Bucks, Case, ............. And I'm not knocking your RR or any other knife. Its just a comparison of one GEC vs. a bunch of RRs. AND, I don't expect anyone to agree or support my viewpoint, but for me it's also about really liking the fact my money goes to some great people in Pennsyvania and stays here in America. None of it goes to support foreign Communist dictatorial regimes. But been wrong before, and it's probably going to happen sometime again. :mrgreen: ::super_happy:: ::rotflol:: ::clapping:: ::dead_horse:: ::tease::
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Ivoryman, you make some good points about GEC knives maintaining and increasing in value. But if I want to invest some money, I talk to my financial advisor. I buy knives for fun. If I bought as many GECs as Rough Riders then I really would be needing to talk to my financial advisor: about how to pay for my knives!

When I spent $20 for a RR, that is just beer money. I spent $20 for a case of beer and I know that I am not going to make a profit, but it is not wasted money! Same with a RR. I like getting those little packages in the mailbox!
Mel
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I'm sure that I am probably stating the obvious here, but personally, I think any knife's value depends upon how it is perceived; i.e., a knife that is used primarily as a tool will have a different value to the owner than a knife that is purchased primarily as a collectible piece of art (duh, obviously). I think it's safe to say that even the relatively low-cost knives made by Parker, Frost, Rough Ryder, etc., although perfectly capable as cutting tools, are not generally considered to be highly collectible among most knife collectors/enthusiasts. So, the objective functionality of a knife is not really the issue when it comes to the subjective price or perceived "value." The monetary value of a given knife is simply a factor of market forces, i.e., what people are willing to pay for it. "Value" is not intrinsic to a knife itself any more than a Picasso painting is only worth the cost of the canvass, paint and frame.

As far as "investment value," a $20.00 RR that functions as intended (with no major flaws or issues) is every bit as good an investment (possibly even better for EDC users) as any high dollar GEC, Chris Reeve, William Henry or even a custom handmade knife--the only real difference is whether the owner plans to use it, collect it, or "flip" it. IMHO YMMV

~Q~
TPK

Post by TPK »

I like that Hedgehog ya got Q! ::tu:: Looks great! :D

I got these two RR's for Fathers Day on thursday. My wife bought me the Stockman & I treated myself to the smaller Copperhead. ::tu:: (I've been a really good Dad all year! ::nod:: ) :mrgreen:

Not perfect knives but pretty nice for the price. Transions between materials could be a little smoother. And the Copperhead had a pretty weak snap to it but some Ballistol oil helped with that. Overall, pretty nice knives. ::tu::

I will give them a little showcase time first before I EDC them. Got enough EDC's anyways. ::nod::
Attachments
IMG_20210513_092140_859.jpg
IMG_20210513_091953_778.jpg
IMG_20210513_091654_787.jpg
IMG_20210513_091606_838.jpg
IMG_20210513_091539_915.jpg
IMG_20210513_091521_626.jpg
IMG_20210513_091501_314.jpg
IMG_20210513_091138_667.jpg
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Like many RR knives, Tom, yours have an attractive look to them.
RancherinAz

Post by RancherinAz »

Out of the 14 Rough Ryder and Rough Rider knives I have , only the last one was a disappointment . That one is the "Black & Blue" Hawkbill . The backspring is too thin for the blade tang or the blade tang is too thick for the backspring which causes an unacceptable gap between the liner and spring starting just north of the center pin and increasing in width as it gains on the tang . I haven't decided yet whether it's worth the hassle to send it back for replacement/refund or not . But I was good at 13 and the 14th one blew it all into the weeds .
As far as the name change thing goes , the way I understand it is that it started out as ...
Rough Ryder , then changed to Rough Rider and then they decided to go back to Rough Ryder . I do have some older models that obviously sat around as NOS a few years before I got them that indeed do have the Rough Ryder name on them and then more recent production that has the name Rough Rider on them and then , the most recent ones that are back to Rough Ryder again .
As for my opinion , batting 100 through the first 13 units is pretty good and I have been very pleased with the overall quality of RR slip joints as I've got Case knives that can't keep up with the same consistency in the QC department while costing far more . The exception being my 14th RR . The beginning of my knife collecting started long ago with Schrade cutlery's Old Timer and Uncle Henry lines . I have a nice little collection of those vintage USA produced pieces . And then a small sampling of the now BTI or Smith & Wesson owned and Chinese produced Old Timers and Uncle Henry's , which are surprisingly nice pieces for the money . As for steel quality that you constantly hear criticism about in the Chinese knives , the way I understand it is that SMKW supplies the 440A stainless for the manufacture of RR slip joints . Hell , Buck uses 420HC and the famous 110 is actually a softer steel than what RR uses . Case and their "Surgical Steel" is 420HC too . And when Schrade was produced in the USA , it was 440A also while the current Chinese produced Schrade uses 7CR17Mov and that "is" the Chinese equivalent to 440A US stainless . So WTH is all the blade bashing about ?
Bottom line , Rough Rider or Ryder or whatever they decide they wanna call it this week , is a great slip joint knife , cost aside , sans the last one I got and hopefully that doesn't end up trending .
Okay , I think I covered it all and I'll shut up now .
😬
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

RancherinAz, welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

Rancher in Az
Why not send the RR Hawkbill back? I have found that all you have to do is call and request a prepaid label (they will email it to you) and use the original shipping box and send it back. In some cases they will just ship a replacement and tell you to keep the original unless the replacement is faulty and then they will want both back in order to give a refund. Their customer service has been top notch. Give them a call!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Welcome aboard RA. ::handshake:: Hope you will post some photos of your knives when you can.
RancherinAz

Post by RancherinAz »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:57 am RancherinAz, welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.
Thanks Jerry
RancherinAz

Post by RancherinAz »

Louisville.Boy1947 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:34 pm Rancher in Az
Why not send the RR Hawkbill back? I have found that all you have to do is call and request a prepaid label (they will email it to you) and use the original shipping box and send it back. In some cases they will just ship a replacement and tell you to keep the original unless the replacement is faulty and then they will want both back in order to give a refund. Their customer service has been top notch. Give them a call!
Okay , I'll give that a try . Thanks
RancherinAz

Post by RancherinAz »

Quick Steel wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:13 pm Welcome aboard RA. ::handshake:: Hope you will post some photos of your knives when you can.
I absolutely will . I've just gotta figure out why my phone won't take pictures . I think it's full and I need to do some house cleaning . But I'll post Picts as soon as I can .
RancherinAz

Post by RancherinAz »

So , I hope this works .
This is my Rough Rider collection
Attachments
image.jpeg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A very nice collection RA. A wide variety of patterns and covers. Well done.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

RancherinAz - nice group of Rough Riders! And welcome to the forum!
Mel
RancherinAz

Post by RancherinAz »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:54 am A very nice collection RA. A wide variety of patterns and covers. Well done.
Thanks QS Didn't break the bank doing it either which is really cool .

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”