Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
Stanwade

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by Stanwade »

dlr110 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:38 pm Here is a Rough "Rider" I didn't expect to see.
Description on Amazon:
"3 Inches closed. Stainless sheepsfoot blade, can opener, and corkscrew.
Black wood handles with brass spacers. Handle is engraved 'Select Barrel'
on one side."
It's a cool knife, but it's heavy weighting in at 4 oz. and it's
just a hair under 3/4 of an inch wide. Everything other than the handle
is brass and stainless. It's short and fat like me! ::uc::
David, don't sell yourself "short"-- you have the body of a god-- Buddha 😁 ::poke:: .. (I don't have room to talk ::facepalm:: )
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

dlr110 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:25 pm
zed6309 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:54 pm Ok guys, a little question, why is it sometimes written ROUGH RIDER OR ROUGH RYDER?
I'm betting Dan is the best one to answer that question. He will see this soon.
Thanks David.
I'm certainly not "The best one" to answer Pauls above question, however, on January 20, 2019 I posted the below link within our "Rough Rider" forum.
The below aapk link concerns the current discussion.
I still have no official reason for the "Ryder-Rider" name change.
Tomatos or Tomatoes ::shrug::

viewtopic.php?f=79&t=60502
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

dlr110 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:25 pm
zed6309 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:54 pm Ok guys, a little question, why is it sometimes written ROUGH RIDER OR ROUGH RYDER?
I'm betting Dan is the best one to answer that question. He will see this soon.
::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The answer is simple. Because they changed it from Rough Ryder to Rough Rider. Why? Therein lies the conundrum. Unless someone here knows the reason, you would have to ask Smokey Mountain Knife Works.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Received this today. Only bought it because of the Wharncliffe blade (and the price was cheap). 3½" like a Mini-Trapper. Looks like a Copperhead on a bowling pin. It is colorful. :D
Attachments
Rough Rider RR1675 Black Widow Wharncliffe - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Froe

Post by Froe »

I’m sure this is an old topic already hashed out somewhere on aapk, regardless: Has any tried out one of the more recent carbon steel RRs yet? Many thanks in advance.
Froe
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Froe wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:51 am I’m sure this is an old topic already hashed out somewhere on aapk, regardless: Has any tried out one of the more recent carbon steel RRs yet? Many thanks in advance.
Froe

Good question Froe.
I have read that High-carbon steel is a premium-grade steel for knife blades The high amount of carbon in the steel provides toughness, strength, edge-holding, and corrosion resistance. It is a popular material for kitchen knives also because it does not wear easily and is easier to sharpen than stainless steel. Steel stock comes in a variety of sizes and high carbon types.

I have a few RR T10 Carbon Steel bladed knives, to include the RR Denim Micarta Series, the RR Classic Carbon Series, and my RR Heavy Forge Series of two knives pictured below that are just gorgeous. Hoping RR makes more of the 'Heavy Forge' series soon?

Just go to smkw.com and put "RR Carbon Steel" in Smoky's search box at the top for some results.

I believe that SMKW has a few more 'Carbon Steel' bladed knives than I have mentioned?

They all arrived razor sharp and I have not had the need to 're-sharpen' them yet.
However, I'm sure that other members will chime in that know much more than I do about the steel quality.

IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG
Dan
Dan
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Hey Dan. 👍😎👍
John 🥸
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Froe wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:51 am I’m sure this is an old topic already hashed out somewhere on aapk, regardless: Has any tried out one of the more recent carbon steel RRs yet? Many thanks in advance.
Froe
I have a couple of the carbon steel fish knives. I think they are good knives ... but the blades do rust just like old time carbon steel! If I had bought anything except a fish knife I probably would not have noticed.
Mel
Froe

Post by Froe »

Thanks for response OLd Folder. I may just buy one to try it out. I like the size of the bigger stockmans they offer. The big yellow handled one is calling me.
You’ve got some beauties posted.
Froe
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Froe, you probably won't be disappointed. I got a couple of the yeller handled ones. I tried to force some patina on one and as old folk are prone to do I forgot and left it in the tater to long and it turned black. Worked on it some and got it looking better but would probably not try the patina thing again, anyway I use it pretty hard cutting whatever needs cutting and it's solid. Easy to sharpen and holds the edge pretty good. ::handshake::
Attachments
20210324_082737.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

bighomer wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:53 pm Froe, you probably won't be disappointed. I got a couple of the yeller handled ones. I tried to force some patina on one and as old folk are prone to do I forgot and left it in the tater to long and it turned black. Worked on it some and got it looking better but would probably not try the patina thing again, anyway I use it pretty hard cutting whatever needs cutting and it's solid. Easy to sharpen and holds the edge pretty good. ::handshake::
I've got one like that one and use it to whittle with on occasion. Good knife. ::nod:: ::nod::
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Dog I've whittled with this one quite a bit and cut a bunch of cardboard, it's something about that warncliffe blade and slicing up boxes. The only change I'd like would be one of the little blades be a coping blade. ::handshake::
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

bighomer wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:24 pm Dog I've whittled with this one quite a bit and cut a bunch of cardboard, it's something about that warncliffe blade and slicing up boxes. The only change I'd like would be one of the little blades be a coping blade. ::handshake::
I have one of those in stainless, and I agree that a coping blade would be nice. In fact, I have often wondered why so many whittlers have two spear blades as secondaries. Why not two coping blades!!!

Here are my carbon steel Rough Riders. One used, one not. One clean, one not.
Attachments
Rough Rider fish knives
Rough Rider fish knives
Mel
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I agree that a coping blade would be an improvement. ::nod::
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

A while back I was looking for a single blade in the range of 3.75-4” closed. Thanks to the kindness and generosity of a fellow knife knut who sent me this beauty I’m now the happy owner of this beauty.
A Rough Ryder RR2103 4” closed with aluminum handles. Typical RR quality, which is to say, excellent. Very sharp with about a 5-6 pull. Back spring is flush when open and closed and just ever so slightly depressed at half stop. Blade is centered. As others have said the bolsters are just painted. The aluminum is not for everyone and will never be mistaken for any traditional heirloom covers but it is a well fitted, well put together traditional slip joint
Attachments
IMG_6914.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have the same knife. Perfect as EDC, light weight but strong, slim in the pocket and a very sharp and pointy blade. Would field dress a deer in a slick and easy manner.
kj
CamMan21

Post by CamMan21 »

I bought 8 for the heck of it just to see what all the raving here was about...and even in my little sample I have some knives that are marked both. Sometimes it’s the shield and the tang don’t match, and on one knife the tangs don’t match from blade to blade.

Not that this means a damn thing...just a random observation.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

From SMKW, they showed up today FedEx. I really like that Cinnamon Bone on the Copperhead. Looks very much like stag. And the blades appear to be some kind of Damascus. Not a lot of layers but still.................
The full size Trapper because it has a Wharncliffe blade, slanted bolsters and it was very reasonable.
Attachments
Rough Rider RR2161 Cinnamon Bone Stag Copperhead - Labeled.JPG
Rough Rider RR2127 Classic Carbon Wharncliffe Trapper - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:39 pm From SMKW, they showed up today FedEx. I really like that Cinnamon Bone on the Copperhead. Looks very much like stag. And the blades appear to be some kind of Damascus. Not a lot of layers but still.................
The full size Trapper because it has a Wharncliffe blade, slanted bolsters and it was very reasonable.
The Copperhead is a good looking knife!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Love the Damascus and the Wharncliffe. Two good ones Jerry. And those handles are a head turner. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

That Copperhead is a very fine looking knife, Jerry! Makes me want to go buy one right now.
Mel
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:39 pm From SMKW, they showed up today FedEx. I really like that Cinnamon Bone on the Copperhead. Looks very much like stag. And the blades appear to be some kind of Damascus. Not a lot of layers but still.................
Hey Jerry;

Glad to hear you like the RR Cinnamon Bone. One of my favorite RR series, I have the entire set.
I agree, the slanted pinched bolsters add a lot of 'Eye Candy' The "R" logo is not too distracting, at least on this series.

IMG_0013.JPG
RR did an excellent job on their "Bone Stag"
Yes, it is real "Damascus."
I do not know the exact layer count, however, after I received my Cinnamon Bone's last year, I hooked up my "Micro Capture Pro" digital USB microscope and took some micro pictures of the top of the blades. The results are below.
Many, many layers.

IMG_0001 (1).JPG
20112116124240.jpg
201121161430162.jpg
20112116935774.jpg
Dan
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Nice knives Dan and great pictures.
Have you ever used the RR straight razor to shave ? The regular RR blades are 'shaving sharp' so this razor might give a fine smooth shave.
kj
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:00 pm Nice knives Dan and great pictures.
Have you ever used the RR straight razor to shave ? The regular RR blades are 'shaving sharp' so this razor might give a fine smooth shave.
kj

Thanks Roland.
No, I've never used a straight razor to shave. I don't think I would have enough time to call 911. ::pray::
Dan

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”