Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
Sank

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by Sank »

MTURBO wrote: Sat May 07, 2016 1:05 pm I have been collecting Rough Riders for a few years now and have a decent collection of the Trappers.
I carry these knives often and when someone comments on one of them I usually just give it to them.
I can afford to do this with the "under $10 knives" :)

I like them...and when I lose one of them it's no big deal.
Now that is engendering knife pattern love!!! Kudos!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sank wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:13 pm
MTURBO wrote: Sat May 07, 2016 1:05 pm I have been collecting Rough Riders for a few years now and have a decent collection of the Trappers.
I carry these knives often and when someone comments on one of them I usually just give it to them.
I can afford to do this with the "under $10 knives" :)

I like them...and when I lose one of them it's no big deal.
Now that is engendering knife pattern love!!! Kudos!
::welcome:: to AAPK Sank! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
RancherinAz

Post by RancherinAz »

So my collection pretty much consists of Rough Rider , Case and vintage USA Schrade stuff like Uncle Henry , Old Timer and open stock Schrade . I recently went through everything and did some edge touch ups that were needed on some of the previously used Schrades . Then I thought I'd start doing the thumbnail and phone book paper cut sharpness test on everything I've got . I guess you could say I was somewhat surprised that every Rough Rider I own cuts better than everything else I own . In fact I got bit a good one by a Rough Rider Canoe blade . That spear point got the palm of my hand about halfway between the base of my thumb and my wrist . It was in there pretty good before I even felt it . Talk about razor sharp . So I was intrigued as to why the Rough Riders are so much sharper than everything else and started looking closer . What I found was that on every Case knife I own that have the factory edge still , is that almost every blade had a burr on one side . So I started getting rid of those burrs . I only did the bare minimum needed to just get rid of the burrs . Now the Case knives were cutting on par with my average Schrade , but still not as sharp as any of my Rough Riders . At that point , I got out the magnifying glass and started to compare edges . It's fairly obvious that the Rough Riders have a wider bevel than Case or Schrade puts on their knives . That's what it is . They cut better because of the angle they are sharpened at . So I was wondering what angle Rough Rider uses compared to what angle Case and USA Schrade typically used . I don't own a guided sharpening system and only have a couple Arkansas stones that I'm learning on by touching up used edges , so I have no idea what angles I'm dealing with but I'm tempted to go through and lay everything back to more of the angle that Rough Rider uses . I'm thinking they go 15 degrees and Case And Schrade typically were set around 20 degrees . Anybody know if any of these companies had a set production angle ? Or is everything just kinda you get what you get ?
cbay

Post by cbay »

Enjoy still seeing this thread active. Lots of really nice knives.
With less non RR bolster knives available these days I jumped on a few in the classic red pick bone last week should be here any day... :D
Rancher, don't know on the factory angle but I got a worksharp field kit and use the 20 degree smooth side and got all my knives scary sharp. Much sharper than any came factory. There is room for error on it though - as there is no clamp to fix the angle...
Chris
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

Two that see use. The bow trapper as a steak knife and the swayback as an edc.
Attachments
02BDD251-A89A-48D1-88D3-9E5CA5E5C794.jpeg
cbay

Post by cbay »

Screenshot_20210929-201539~2.png
Great looking knives Joeradza

The red picked bones came in and didn't disappoint.
The addiction continues. :D
Chris
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

joeradza wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:42 pm Two that see use. The bow trapper as a steak knife and the swayback as an edc.
I like those Bow Trappers. Thinking about getting me another one in red. ::hmm::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Just when I thought it was safe having my checkbook in "Stealth mode," along comes SMKW this morning with a new Rough Ryder series. Yes, the "Rough Ryder Coral Snake Series." (Love the pinched bolsters.)
So..."Checkbook reactivated." ::shrug::

RR Coral Snake.jpg

The below "Whittler" (RR2276) is a hand full at 3.87" closed.
RR Coral Snake 1.jpg

The below "Texas Stockman" (RR2275) is BIG, 4.87" closed.
RR Coral Snake 2.jpg

Then we have the "Large Moose" (RR2274) at 4.37" closed.
RR Coral Snake 3.jpg

The fourth and final in the "Coral Snake" series listed at Smoky, (as of now) is the ever popular "Trapper" (RR2281) at 4.12" closed.
RR Coral Snake 4.jpg

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Well Dan they definitely have color. Let us know how the color, fit and feel really is when you get them... :D
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

dlr110 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:24 pm Well Dan they definitely have color. Let us know how the color, fit and feel really is when you get them... :D
Will do David.
Not listed, but hoping for "Half Stops."

Dan
Dan
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Old Folder wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:42 pm
dlr110 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:24 pm Well Dan they definitely have color. Let us know how the color, fit and feel really is when you get them... :D
Will do David.
Not listed, but hoping for "Half Stops."

Dan
::tu::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Old Folder wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:21 pm Just when I thought it was safe having my checkbook in "Stealth mode," along comes SMKW this morning with a new Rough Ryder series. Yes, the "Rough Ryder Coral Snake Series." (Love the pinched bolsters.)
So..."Checkbook reactivated."
Dan
Red on black: friend of Jack;
Red on yellow: kill that fellow!

Nice knife!
Mel
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Old Folder wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:21 pm Just when I thought it was safe having my checkbook in "Stealth mode," along comes SMKW this morning with a new Rough Ryder series. Yes, the "Rough Ryder Coral Snake Series." (Love the pinched bolsters.)

RR Coral Snake.jpg

RR Coral Snake 1.jpg

RR Coral Snake 2.jpg

RR Coral Snake 3.jpg

The fourth and final in the "Coral Snake" series listed at Smoky, (as of now) is the ever popular "Trapper" (RR2281) at 4.12" closed.

RR Coral Snake 4.jpg

Dan
Has Rough Ryder stopped making any new knives with bone handles?
I'm getting a little tired of these synthetic ones.
Tim
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

RR Coral Snake.jpg

RR Coral Snake 1.jpg

RR Coral Snake 2.jpg

RR Coral Snake 3.jpg

RR Coral Snake 4.jpg

Dan
Very attractive Dan! ::tu:: The colors remind me of Halloween, and the pinched bolsters are just special! 8)
8)
cbay

Post by cbay »

There's something special about these particular stag scales to me. Maybe it was remembering them when I was a kid, having a couple back then or wanting them.
They sure are pretty.
I still have an old queen in winter bottom scales which is very similar. Not much of a knife but one of the very few I have from the past - as most all my knives were stolen about 10 years ago.
Getting these Rough Riders has got me enjoying knives again and the affordability with quality makes it worth it.
Attachments
IMG_20211002_153512723_HDR~2.jpg
Chris
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Dan

Very attractive Dan! ::tu:: The colors remind me of Halloween, and the pinched bolsters are just special! 8)

Thanks Marco.
My (3" closed) Syracuse Knife Co. N.Y. knife with Celluloid handles is "somewhat" similar in color appearance to the new RRs.
It appears that "bright colors" were popular even in the 1930s and prior.

Syracuse 1.jpg
Scracuse 2.jpg
Dan
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

cbay wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:54 pm There's something special about these particular stag scales to me. Maybe it was remembering them when I was a kid, having a couple back then or wanting them.
They sure are pretty.
I still have an old queen in winter bottom scales which is very similar. Not much of a knife but one of the very few I have from the past - as most all my knives were stolen about 10 years ago.
Getting these Rough Riders has got me enjoying knives again and the affordability with quality makes it worth it.
That's an oldie but goodie cbay.
Genuine "Stag Handled Knives" are going the way of the dinosaurs' recently.
"Bone Stag" seems to be much more prevalent now. Rough Ryder does an excellent job on their Bone Stag production, such as their "RR Cinnamon Bone Stag"
I've been reading that the RR2156 (Cinnamon Bone Stag Damascus Canoe) is currently very difficult to find.

Below knife is the RR2161 Copperhead. (There are currently 9 knives in the series.)
RR2161det__35179.1602157708(2).jpg
IMG_0013.JPG
Dan
Dan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Old Folder wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:33 pm
cbay wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:54 pm There's something special about these particular stag scales to me. Maybe it was remembering them when I was a kid, having a couple back then or wanting them.
They sure are pretty.
That's an oldie but goodie cbay.
Genuine "Stag Handled Knives" are going the way of the dinosaurs' recently.
"Bone Stag" seems to be much more prevalent now. Rough Ryder does an excellent job on their Bone Stag production, such as their "RR Cinnamon Bone Stag"
I've been reading that the RR2156 (Cinnamon Bone Stag Damascus Canoe) is currently very difficult to find.

Below knife is the RR2161 Copperhead. (There are currently 9 knives in the series.)
RR2161det__35179.1602157708(2).jpgIMG_0013.JPG

Dan
RR2161 is out of stock ever place I looked. Good thing I bought one back in April. I'm not a fan of Damascus but I sure do like that acorn shield.
Attachments
Rough Rider RR2161 Cinnamon Bone Stag Copperhead - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
cbay

Post by cbay »

Beautiful collection Dan.
Price and the "R" had me dragging my feet on that copperhead. Don't have to worry about that now. ::doh::
Chris
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Old Folder wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:58 pm Dan

Thanks Marco.
My (3" closed) Syracuse Knife Co. N.Y. knife with Celluloid handles is "somewhat" similar in color appearance to the new RRs.

Syracuse 1.jpgScracuse 2.jpg

Dan
Wow Dan, that baby sure is in good shape for 90+ year old knife! Even the celluloid covers are just about perfect! Very nice! 8)
8)
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Madmarco wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:18 am
Old Folder wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:58 pm Dan

Thanks Marco.

Syracuse 1.jpgScracuse 2.jpg

Dan
Wow Dan, that baby sure is in good shape for 90+ year old knife! Even the celluloid covers are just about perfect! Very nice! 8)
Thanks marco.
So far, it has remained stable. ::pray::
Dan
cbay

Post by cbay »

New arrivals today. The canoe and medium stockman are like fine jewelry very nice. Actually that tiny stockman is surprisingly nice as well.
The copperhead is fine, it's just that the others had so much more eye appeal it kinda got left out of the party. But it's a copperhead so no complaints here, little blade play on it but nothing more than knives 5 times it's cost have on a regular basis.
All have great snap and others are tight.
Had to have Dad pull the stockman out of his pocket for a pic he grabbed it so fast.
Went on a RR spree lately, 2 more coming then time to chill out for a while. These things are like a bad habit. ::uc::
Attachments
IMG_20211004_124810075~2.jpg
IMG_20211004_125703776~2.jpg
IMG_20211004_203249511~2.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I had an Old Southwest Bow Trapper on my watch list for quite awhile, then deleted it the other day after deciding I wasn't going to get one. This morning I folded like a cheap suit and placed one on order. It will go well with my other RR Bow Trappers. Hey! At least it doesn't have the RR bolster. :mrgreen:

Seller's picture of course.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Jerry that knife is a work of art! Nice. ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have at least 200 'older' RR knives with bone, Stag, pearl and other handle materials in many different patterns. If anyone wants to buy some of these please contact me.
kj

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”