Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
PigStikr

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by PigStikr »

I got my first RR that I have an issue with..It's one of them wharncliff whittlers with the yellow scales..I'm about ready to put it in my drawer of same...to much spring to use a half stop blade is the problem...bottom of tang should have a radius on it...Paid $16.99 for it so it 's not a big issue..thing is if you can't open it why did it leave the factory....
Never Doubt Your Dawg
CamMan21

Post by CamMan21 »

I picked up one of them also. Not my favorite of the bunch, but the half stops on mine don’t seem to be causing any issues on mine.
PigStikr

Post by PigStikr »

Mine after you get it half way open you have to push it against something to get it open I've scraped it to The Drawer of Shame ain't worth fussin over at that amount of $$....it's the 1st one I been buying RR's since 05 when I got my 1st computer...
Never Doubt Your Dawg
marinaio61

Post by marinaio61 »

It's going to happen that you get a lemon at some point when buying cheap ChiCom knives. I was lucky in a way that my first and only RR was a POS high carbon Canoe pattern with G10 scales so I won't buy another.
PigStikr

Post by PigStikr »

It's not a China thing I buy all different knife brands I've been wanting this knife for a few months..just giving others a heads up about this pattern...all knife makers have lemons and this pattern is one of RR's it's just not quite rite think thats why I had a hard time finding one to buy or maybe this is a new batch...
Never Doubt Your Dawg
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Sorry you got a lem🍋n pigsticker, I've got one that works fine. I carry it quite often.
I bought a RR marlin spike last year and promptly dropped it on the hardwood floor and cracked the bone handle, that's on me of course, but the spike is already loose, does not stay in the closed position very well. It's a work around the place knife that cost all of $12.79 so no biggie. ::handshake::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

In today's mail. Blades are not centered or even close. Other than that, it's fine for the price. Make a good EDC.
Have I mentioned I have a growing hate for those RR huge boxes? They could be 1/5th that size and still do the job they're intended for.
Attachments
Rough Ryder RR2187 Mini-Trapper Denium Micarta T-10 Carbon Steel - Labeled.JPG
Rough Ryder RR2187 Mini-Trapper Denium Micarta T-10 Carbon Steel - Blades not Centered.JPG
DSC01165.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

PigStikr wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:14 pm I got my first RR that I have an issue with..It's one of them wharncliff whittlers with the yellow scales..I'm about ready to put it in my drawer of same...to much spring to use a half stop blade is the problem...bottom of tang should have a radius on it...Paid $16.99 for it so it 's not a big issue..thing is if you can't open it why did it leave the factory....
I have one of those whittlers. I agree that the tang should have a bit of a radius to make both opening and closing the blade more smooth. But it ain't half as bad as a couple of much more expensive kives that I own!

Jerry - I do not like blades that are off centered in the well, but they do not bother me half as much as when the open blade is not aligned with the handle. That is an issue with some of my RRs. Nice looking knife!
Mel
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks Mel.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
PigStikr

Post by PigStikr »

I hate those big boxes to..I put all knife boxes in the burn barrel doesn't matter who the maker is...couple of the larger boxes I take out the foam mold and fill knives one is full of Imperial pen knives one full Sak knives have a couple full of RR's they're good for storing things but I don't keep them all....
Never Doubt Your Dawg
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:59 pm In today's mail. Blades are not centered or even close. Other than that, it's fine for the price. Make a good EDC.
Have I mentioned I have a growing hate for those RR huge boxes? They could be 1/5th that size and still do the job they're intended for.
I've got so many of those dang boxes I'm thinking about building a tiny house out of them. :mrgreen:
Tim
CamMan21

Post by CamMan21 »

My little stash of RRs. Nothing terribly special, but they give me something to do while the price of my other interests seems to fester at ridiculously high (even the knives I cherish I don’t cherish enough to pay what they seem to be going for lately).
4C50CA85-7ED2-4E97-9110-798935FAD2E5.jpeg
CamMan21

Post by CamMan21 »

And my commentary on the knives.

Left side top to bottom:

The barlows are great. I like the horseshoe bolster, otherwise happy with both! Would like one in stag with the horseshoe.

Never own (or was interested in) a Drs knife. This little bugger is nice! Unfortunately, the spring on the main blade is a tad soft to my liking. Works fine, though.

The jumbo stockman...wanted to love it. F&F is no issue. I’d prefer the bolsters were the same size. I feel like they got a little carried away on the swedges. And I don’t get the two nail nicks on the main blade. I can get past all those things, but it’s just too darn big!

Both cotton samplers are awesome. Never owned anything like it, but these would absolutely make a great folding skinner. Would love to see this sold as a roundnose skinner if they got rid of the long tang. I’ll buy more in this pattern, probably buckshot next.

The little red cub lockback is cool, and cheaper than a Victorinox keychain.

Right side...

Wanted a trapper with a razor blade, got one. It’s pretty nice, though the scales are extremely different colors. Side showing is burnt orange, opposite side is like a blaze orange.

Had to buy the wharcliffe “trapper” after seeing it posted. I didn’t like the idea of a wharncliffe on a trapper, but it grew on me quickly. Now one of my favorites.

The yellow whittler with a wharncliffe is about all the pocketknife I would ever need.

I really like the blue whittler, little disappointed in the liner gaps on this one.

The blue sowbelly trapper is a bit of a disappointment. I love the design, the blades, everything except one thing....the back springs don’t sit flush unless it’s fully open. When closed one is very proud, and the other sunken in. Bugs me to no end...cause other wise I love it. Will probably pick one up with different scales and hope for the best.

What do they call the single blade trapper...escapes me as I type this. Anyway, I love it. Comfortable and sharp single blade in a compact package. Easily capable of dressing a deer. Need the red one, too.

The locking razor...because why not?
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Nice collection of RR's, Cam. Great write up on each one. ::tu::

FWIW: I have the Buckshot Cotton Sampler...and it's a beaut. I believe you'd really like that one.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Rough Rider RR1906 Sowbelly Trapper Buckshot Bone - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I don't have many (or even like most) RR knives, but I recently paid the princely sum of $54.29 for this Rough Ryder Reserve Hedgehog and I quite like it. Well made, very solid, sturdy, good size knife with my preferred blades (Clip and Wharncliffe) and opposite-end 2-blade configuration. Only wish it had a single back spring (instead of two springs and a brass center liner) so it wouldn't be quite so thick/heavy.

P4230008.JPG
P4230009.JPG

Nicely centered blades
P4230015.JPG

Pretty thick with the two back springs and brass center liner
P4230019.JPG

Notice the non-protruding tang shoulder of the closed blade
P4230013.JPG
P4230012.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

This VG-10 Mini Trapper is my favorite "regular" Rough Ryder.
Rough Ryder VG-10.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "Notice the non-protruding tang shoulder of the closed blade"
That is called a "sunk joint", quite 'classy' construction. I agree it would be a superior knife with a single spring.
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:20 am This VG-10 Mini Trapper is my favorite "regular" Rough Ryder.
Rough Ryder VG-10.JPG
You and me Bub. Two peas in a pod. It's high on the list but I wouldn't call it my favorite.
Rough Rider RR2101 VG10 Mini-Trapper - Labeled.JPG

This Smooth Tobbaco Bone with Acorn shield is my favorite.
Rough Rider RR778 Mini Trapper Smooth Tobacco Bone - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
CamMan21

Post by CamMan21 »

Some new RRs from SMKW today...

Very pleased with all of them. Not even the slightest liner gap anywhere in the batch.
58DC6933-F951-49A7-93B7-47C26F452C43.jpeg
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Great selection CamMan ::tu::

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

r redden wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:21 am I know some of you will disagree but I think RR's are a great way to experience different patterns without spending a lot of money. Everyone when first starting out collecting traditional pocket knives are bombarded by the abundance of different patterns available and really don't have a clue as to what they like. From the way it looks to the number of blades, blade shape, length, how it fits in your hand and on and on. When I finally decided what I truly wanted to collect was traditional pocket knives I thought I needed to buy everything that the folks on Blade Forums were raving about (my only source of info at the time). I started buying knives because of popularity of certain custom makers and production brands having no idea what I was doing and in a short while I had spent about $4000 and though I really liked some of them I also found I had a lot of knives that really didn't appeal to me. I started selling them off and only recouped about 70% of my money. I then read a thread where the OP stated that the RR's were good knife and it was an inexpensive way to try different patterns for little money then when you decided what you did and did not like you could purchase better quality knives with confidence. I took this advice and was on my way to building a collection that I truly enjoyed. I think this is great advice for newbie's and anyone looking to try a new pattern they've never tried and get some good little knives for gifting or use. Here's a reality check the first photo is about $85 worth of RR's the second about $85 worth of GEC.

Betcha you would get a lot more than $85 for that GEC boys knife. Definitely. And the price is still going up. And probably couldn't get back the $85 worth of RRs even if they were unused pristine new in the box. Which is the better investment?
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Betcha you would get a lot more than $85 for that GEC boys knife. Definitely. And the price is still going up. And probably couldn't get back the $85 worth of RRs even if they were unused pristine new in the box. Which is the better investment?
I hear what you're saying, IMan and understand the logic. However, a lot of times, the 'investment' isn't in the dollar amount of a knife, but in what appeals to the buyer / collector. For me, I fully understand I'll NEVER get out of my collections or assortment of knives I've got, for what I paid. A lot of my knives 'are' high end knives, but I also have a slew of cheaper knives that appealed to me, whether it be the design or the 'eye catching' appeal. I have some Steel Warriors and Ocoee River knives by Frost that are very nice and well made knives. Not an investment, per se, but nice enough that if I wanted to gift them, they would be very acceptable to the recipient.

But to answer your question...the GEC is the better investment, if that's the road one desires to travel. ::tu:: But then, I tend to believe that; everything depreciates and loses their original value at some point, depending on the economy, supply & demand, etc. I found that out after Dale Earnhardt SR. died at Daytona in 2001 Every Dale Sr. die cast car I had of his plummeted to virtually nothing within 18 months of his death. Now, all I have are some metal & plastic cars with legit autographs I couldn't sell for $10.00. I lost $$$$$ big time because I erroneously thought his die cast would appreciate and hold. ::facepalm:: ::dang:: As the world turns...

On the other hand...I truly enjoy looking at all the GREAT knives you show us. ::tu:: You do make me drool sometimes. :D
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

In case I haven't said it before (and I most likely have), I buy knives for my own pleasure, not as an investment nor the intent of selling them later.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

KLJ77 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:33 pm
I hear what you're saying, IMan and understand the logic. However, a lot of times, the 'investment' isn't in the dollar amount of a knife, but in what appeals to the buyer / collector. For me, I fully understand I'll NEVER get out of my collections or assortment of knives I've got, for what I paid. A lot of my knives 'are' high end knives, but I also have a slew of cheaper knives that appealed to me, whether it be the design or the 'eye catching' appeal. I have some Steel Warriors and Ocoee River knives by Frost that are very nice and well made knives. Not an investment, per se, but nice enough that if I wanted to gift them, they would be very acceptable to the recipient.

But to answer your question...the GEC is the better investment, if that's the road one desires to travel. ::tu:: But then, I tend to believe that; everything depreciates and loses their original value at some point, depending on the economy, supply & demand, etc. I found that out after Dale Earnhardt SR. died at Daytona in 2001 Every Dale Sr. die cast car I had of his plummeted to virtually nothing within 18 months of his death. Now, all I have are some metal & plastic cars with legit autographs I couldn't sell for $10.00. I lost $$$$$ big time because I erroneously thought his die cast would appreciate and hold. ::facepalm:: ::dang:: As the world turns...

On the other hand...I truly enjoy looking at all the GREAT knives you show us. ::tu:: You do make me drool sometimes. :D

I hope you're right and all knives will someday depreciate, then I can buy more GEC at reasonable prices. HOWEVER, many on this site have said for YEARS that GECs will come back to earth. Not so. They are going in the opposite direction. To the stratosphere and beyond. I like knowing the hundred dollar GEC knives I have bought, and USED and loved, sell for two or three times what I paid even while used. Can't do that with a RR.

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:21 pm In case I haven't said it before (and I most likely have), I buy knives for my own pleasure, not as an investment nor the intent of selling them later.

I don't buy them to re-sell either. I buy what I like to use and carry. But what a sweet side-effect, or consolation to have a used knife go way up in value, don't you think? And when I leave my loved knives behind to my beloved kids when I take the last journey across the sky to the happy hunting grounds and the last roundup, they will be worth a small fortune to the kids. I had nothing to do with it either, it was all GEC and Derrick Bohn. RIP DB, love the knives you got GEC to make. What other knife will do that? Not your RR, your Chris Reeves, your Benchmade, Mokis, Bucks, Case, ............. And I'm not knocking your RR or any other knife. Its just a comparison of one GEC vs. a bunch of RRs. AND, I don't expect anyone to agree or support my viewpoint, but for me it's also about really liking the fact my money goes to some great people in Pennsyvania and stays here in America. None of it goes to support foreign Communist dictatorial regimes. But been wrong before, and it's probably going to happen sometime again. :mrgreen: ::super_happy:: ::rotflol:: ::clapping:: ::dead_horse:: ::tease::
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”