Rough Rider Half Hawk.

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
wazu013

Rough Rider Half Hawk.

Post by wazu013 »

I had a Case 6217 for years and wound up loosing it at a concert. Then I went out and bought a XX era red bone peachseed jigged 6217 but I didn't have the nuts to use it. Well the other day I was sniffing around Ebay and saw a Rough Rider Half Hawk up for bid so I plopped a generous offer of $9.99 delivered on it and forgot about it.
Anyway to make a long story short here it is. I have to admit it's very solid. I plan on beating it to death ::ds::
Attachments
RR Half Hawk 005.JPG
RR Half Hawk 009.JPG
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Rough Rider Half Hawk.

Post by TripleF »

You can only "TRY" to beat those knives to death......they like it, and ask for more!!!

Knice score!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
xstuntman

Post by xstuntman »

Very nice looker!

A local shop started carrying RRs and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a couple of 'em. Most are $15 to $20 so its pretty affordable too. :)
My retirement shall consist of carbon steel, cheese, and crackers.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

I gotta tell ya......they are soooooooooooooooooooooooo worth the "bang for the buck"! I once reviewed a RR barlow, spent an afternoon cutting carpeting into one foot strips and it kept on cuttings. I think I paid $10.00, including shipping.......it's hard to beat RR's, especially for the money.

The problem is justifying a $10.00, $15.00 knife.......to your image of brand identity.

We are all about the brand after all..........
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
junebug

Post by junebug »

NICE SNAG!
i dont mind RR one bit.......the F&F would shock MOST here if they were to give one a shot,IMPO ::nod::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I like the blade configuration on that knife. It's got the same two blades that my congress has four of. The handle looks like it would be very ergonomic too. Let us know how you like it after using it for a while.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

What a coincidence. I saw that same knife cruising through the 'bay just last night!

The blade configuration spoke 6217 to me as well. Is it a heavy handfull like the 17? And what about the steel? I just might follow your lead :mrgreen:
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

philco wrote:I like the blade configuration on that knife. It's got the same two blades that my congress has four of. The handle looks like it would be very ergonomic too. Let us know how you like it after using it for a while.
Phil, I've never handled the RR so I can't speak for them but I can tell you the Ka-Bar is one healthy, heavy knife. Well worth a few bucks if you can find one (less $$ than a Case).
Attachments
Kabar Loom Fixer.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

I've got a few RR's they're all nice for the money--I haven't ever seen one of those must be a new release-I'm going to look for one now
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

I buy and use their throwers exclusively anymore.I do have one of their lockbacks in stag with a very nice etching done on the blade.I no how most hear fill about the subject so I stay away from it but you guys are very right,for the price they are hard to beat.
Attachments
RR1043.jpg
RR1043.jpg (30.69 KiB) Viewed 7059 times
RR489.jpg
RR489.jpg (28.12 KiB) Viewed 7059 times
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

royal0014 wrote:What a coincidence. I saw that same knife cruising through the 'bay just last night!

The blade configuration spoke 6217 to me as well. Is it a heavy handfull like the 17? And what about the steel? I just might follow your lead :mrgreen:
This knife weighs 3.8oz and is a hair under 4" closed same as the 6217. The Sheepsfoot blade is 3" and the Pen blade is 2 3/8". The ringed bolster and sheild are nickle silver and the blades are 440 steel. If all this is true I don't know how they can do it. Even if the labor is free they still have to ship here and sell it. If Case still made the pattern and they don't, they would be getting 10 X the price and I'd never use it like I'm going to use this one. To be honest every time I need to crap on a knife at work I use some sort of import. I can't afford or I should say I don't have the heart to kill a $150 knife or a $250 San Mai around the yard.
On a side note: My wife just straightened me out. I actually paid $13.99 delivered not $9.99. To much sugar ::shrug::
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

Snapped up one this morning for $12.50 Shipped
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

jerryd6818 wrote:
philco wrote:I like the blade configuration on that knife. It's got the same two blades that my congress has four of. The handle looks like it would be very ergonomic too. Let us know how you like it after using it for a while.
Phil, I've never handled the RR so I can't speak for them but I can tell you the Ka-Bar is one healthy, heavy knife. Well worth a few bucks if you can find one (less $$ than a Case).
This is the first Kabar Loom fixer I've ever seen. I love the way they built it. Very nice ::tu::
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

I really wish Case made the 17 and the 45 scout. For some reason they can't but RR does ::hmm:: Case drives Guys like me crazy. I will never buy a $200 Abalone Desk knife but I would buy some of the old school patterns. That's RR's attack plan. Make what they will not and do it at a crazy cheap price. To be honost last year I didn't buy any new Case knives. I only bought used or Old Stock knives.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

wazu013 wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:
This is the first Kabar Loom fixer I've ever seen. I love the way they built it. Very nice ::tu::
That's the second one I've had. The other one went to live someplace else. They come up on eBay now and then.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Ok, Ya'll talked me into it ::nod::

My RR Half-Hawk hit the mailbox today. Lemme tell 'ya, this is one serious chunk of knife!
Both blades snap like gators, solid half-stops, and plenty sharp right out of the box.
Slightly thinner than I expected, but that's a good thing. Still a fist full!

Like wazu013 said......I plan on beating it to death ::tu::
Attachments
RR-834uh 002.jpg
RR-834uh 008.jpg
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

royal0014 wrote:Ok, Ya'll talked me into it ::nod::

My RR Half-Hawk hit the mailbox today. Lemme tell 'ya, this is one serious chunk of knife!
Both blades snap like gators, solid half-stops, and plenty sharp right out of the box.
Slightly thinner than I expected, but that's a good thing. Still a fist full!

Like wazu013 said......I plan on beating it to death ::tu::
I'm glad you like it. I usually don't endorse any knife from the Orient but this one caught me by surprise. It actually lived up to the description. It's wild what they give you for the money?
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

wazu013 wrote:I really wish Case made the 17 and the 45 scout. For some reason they can't but RR does ::hmm:: Case drives Guys like me crazy. I will never buy a $200 Abalone Desk knife but I would buy some of the old school patterns. That's RR's attack plan. Make what they will not and do it at a crazy cheap price. To be honost last year I didn't buy any new Case knives. I only bought used or Old Stock knives.
WazU you may like the 209 made by Bear&Son,give it a try.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
Producer

Post by Producer »

Here are a couple more Rough Rider Half Hawks.
My son got the first one a few months ago and I just got one today.
We are liking the Coal Miner Series.
As noted great half stops and nice heft to it but it's thin too for what it is.
Note how thick the main blade is.
Attachments
100_1292.JPG
100_1296.JPG
100_1294.JPG
I never met a Schrade I didn't like
eveled

Post by eveled »

I really love this pattern. The comfy handle, the large coping blade, the large pen blade, classic styling. Just an all around great pattern. KA-BAR, Case, Rough Ryder. Anyone seen one from another maker?
Attachments
6F453C9C-1562-47C2-8701-08C53A770907.jpeg
4432A003-3B0B-4895-A794-00D60DC30F4E.jpeg

Return to “Chinese-made knives”