MADE IN CHINA SCHRADES

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Captain O

Re: MADE IN CHINA SCHRADES

Post by Captain O »

The Sharpfinger and Dog Leg Jack arrived this morning and they were beautiful. The Sharpfinger was a little smaller than I thought that it would be but that keeps it compact and convenient. I gifted the Dog Leg Jack to the lady and she was thrilled. :mrgreen:

Within 90 seconds, a light effort on my Spyderco Sharpmaker's white Ceramic Sticks put a shaving-sharp edge on the skinner. This knife will prove useful and convenient. Who would have thought that for less than $9.00 (on sale) one could find what is normally sold for about $17.00. The compact hunting knife is quite impressive. The fit and finish are good and the nylon sheath isn't extremely substantial, but what it holds is just fine! Subtract the shipping, and I paid about $6.99 for each knife. ::tu:: This is an outstanding value. 8) What's not to like?

Kudos to Schrade/Taylor Brands for replicating a 44-year-old design so well that we needn't regret that it is made in the PRC. 8) :wink:
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Helpful mini-review. Thanks Captain O.
kj
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

The model Schrade Melon Tester (SS102 and SS105) are two sizes of the same long-handled, long-bladed knives These have 7Cr17MoV steel blades and hold an edge, as well as most of the Old Timer and Uncle Henry lines. My friend likes my SS105 (5.8" ivory Delrin handle and a 4.7" 7Cr17MoV Stainless Steel blade).

These are great knives for food preparation as long as you sanitize them and keep food particles from collecting in the hinge. This is important to prevent Salmonella contamination. (Antibacterial soap will work to help prevent these problems). ::tu::
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Taylor seems to have it dailed in as good as anyone out their today.
Keep Near the Cross.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

I have seen varying reviews about Schrade's Full Tang G10-scaled boot knife, and other stonewashed sheath knives. Broken tips, chipped blades boken blades and more. Schrade will cover them with their Limited Lifetime Warranty, but are these knives inherently flawed?
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Check out Survival on Purpose on YouTube. I got a Taylor Lumberjack today. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

What about carrying my Schrade Sheath Knives inverted? I have been thinking of doing this for "offside" city carry.

opinions?
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

deltaboy wrote:Check out Survival on Purpose on YouTube. I got a Taylor Lumberjack today. ::tu::
Very nice. Let me know how well the edge holds.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Thanks I will let you know. So far so good.
Keep Near the Cross.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

I want to correct my statement about the steel in Schrade's Melon Testers. The steel in these knives is 3Cr13MoV steel, not 7Cr17MoV. This steel is more corrosion resistant, but won't hold an edge as long as the 7Cr17MoV steel. These aren't bad knives, but they aren't meant for use on hard materials. These are manufactured with a fibrous vegetable matter in mind.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I gave Dad a USA Melon Tester a few years ago that I got for 50 cents. Made in the USA.
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

These knives are a Solid Buy at the price they are selling for. :mrgreen: ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

The smaller of the two Melon Tester/Sausage Sampler knives being made of 3Cr13MoV steel isn't so bad. The reason that I prefer the 7Cr17MoV steel is due to its edge retention abilities. The only benefit that the 3Cr13MoV steel has over the "higher carbon" type, is corrosion resistance. That, my brothers, is often its own reward. I love these knives but need to realize their limitations. What confuses me is the fact that the larger model is manufactured with the 7Cr17MoV blade alloy.

Deltaboy,

Would you care to offer your opinion concerning Schrade/Imperial's use of a harder and higher carbon alloy in the larger knife? I'm open minded and am willing to learn from anyone that is better informed than I.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Deltaboy:

How's that Lumberjack working out for you?
honketyhank

Post by honketyhank »

I recently made a disparaging generalization about Chinese-made knives in another forum. I was mildly taken to task. So I did an experiment. I bought three Schrade Old Timer 34OT pocket knives. One brand new from China, one Schrade USA with SS blades that was very lightly used, one Schrade USA with 1095 blades that was rusty. The 1095 knife was in very good shape after getting the rust off. Following is my post on that forum with my thoughts after doing an A vs B vs C comparison:

... quote ...

I started a careful comparison between the three 34OTs mentioned above and the document kept getting longer and longer. TMI. This is a whittling forum, not a pocket knife collectors' forum. So, cutting to the chase:

#1 USA made SS blades: I like and would use.
#2 Chinese made SS blades: I like and would use.
#3 USA made 1095 blades: I like and would use.

For esthetics, the 1095 steel USA made because the blades take on that patina that says 'oldie but goodie'. A close second would be the USA made SS blades. The Chinese knife has some minor fit and finish issues.

For function as a whittling knife, either of the USA knives because they are a bit more comfortable to use than the Chinese knife. Your preference would boil down to your view of the advantages vs disadvantages of SS vs 1095 steel. The Chinese knife has protruding tangs that are slightly uncomfortable when gripping the knife for more time than just a quick cut to open a box or cut a string.

For value, the Chinese knife. It works well. If I had not had the chance to do a side by side comparison against the USA knives, I would use it and like it.

But I should mention that the Chinese knife is not the same knife as the two USA knives. The two USA knives are very very nearly identical in functionality, esthetics, and design despite the difference in blade material. The Chinese knife is a different design, perhaps with a different SS (my guess). It is very similar to the USA Schrade design. It fooled me before I did the side by side comparisons. In addition, there are fit and finish issues that I did not see on either of the USA knives. Not serious. Just there to be found if one looks hard enough.

I contrast this Chinese made Schrade with a Chinese made Schrade I bought several years ago. It was an Uncle Henry. I bought three of them. One to keep and two to give to my two nephews to remind them of their Uncle Henry (me). They were junk. I was ashamed to have my name on knives like that. I threw them away. I am sure this experience created the negative bias exhibited in my original post to this thread. This Chinese made Schrade 34OT is light years better than those. If it said Uncle Henry on it instead of Old Timer, I would gladly pass a couple on to my nephews. Hmmm. That's a thought. Maybe I'll go shopping.

... end quote ...
I'm sorta partial to Uncle Henrys seein' as how I had one and now I are one.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

I just pulled out my new Old Timer 15OT "Deerslayer" and looked it over. While the 7Cr17 "High Carbon" (meaning 5% or more carbon) there is always room for debate among knife connoisseurs. The fit and finish are very good. I'll grant that I miss the 1095 Carbon and 440C Stainless steels that were produced and assembled in the US of A, but I have come to appreciate the steels that have been coming out of China. There is a good reason for this, and I'll expound upon it later in this post.

If I ran Taylor Brands LLC I would be using 8Cr13MoV (8% Chromium, 13% Molybdenum, 13% Vanadium alloy content) in all of the Old Timer/Uncle Henry knives. This alloy has properties that are nearly identical to Japanese AUS-8 steel. With proper heat treatment, this alloy can reach a Rockwell hardness of between 58 and 59. It would likely match the edge holding abilities of the older US alloys. That would make it, more or less, "six of one, a half-dozen of another" in the world of knives, wouldn't it?

The current Chinese 7Cr17 "High Carbon" Stainless Steel alloys reach between 56-57 Rc. The Molybdenum and Vanadium content in this steel permits the hunter using these knives to clean and dress an average of two deer before the blade's edge requires re-honing. Generally, no more than a maximum 20 passes (two on each side of the blade for a total of 40) on a Spyderco Tri-Angle "Sharpmaker" will bring the 7Cr17MoV blades back to a razor's edge that will hold for another couple of good-sized deer.

There's a lot to like in the Taylor Brand LLC "Old Timer" and "Uncle Henry" hunting knives. They are well-made and are efficient at their jobs. To top it all off they're priced right. A quality knife that serves well is great. One that leaves money in your bank, is the "icing on the cake".

I, for one, am satisfied with the four knives from Taylor Brands LLC (three "Old Timers and one Smith & Wesson Tanto Boot Knife) that I have purchased.
What better recommendation can I make than by putting my money where my mouth is? Talk is cheap. Actions speak louder than words.

The defense... rests.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

My Ironwood Stockman is doing fine ::tu:: ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Soon I'll have an S&W SWHRT9B (9" dagger) in the 7CR17MoV steel. Contrary to popular belief, it does take and hold an edge. This is smaller than my S&W 11" Tanto dagger and has rubberized quillions that will protect my fingers from running up on the 4.25" cutting edge of the 4.75" blade.

It cost $16.76 shipped to my door. If it breaks, I'm not out a great deal of money. It should stand up to anything for which I should use the blade. :wink: 8) ::sotb::
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

They are made to use. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Carried the Ironwood OT8 for 2 weeks in a row and I had to touch up the Sheepsfoot blade after cutting up 2 recliner boxes.
Keep Near the Cross.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

deltaboy, i enjoy your enthusiastic posts here and in the Rough Rider threads. You are using your knives and your posts inform us how well they are cutting. If there is any doubt left about the quality of knives made in China, your posts help to clear it up.
kj
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

kootenay joe wrote:deltaboy, i enjoy your enthusiastic posts here and in the Rough Rider threads. You are using your knives and your posts inform us how well they are cutting. If there is any doubt left about the quality of knives made in China, your posts help to clear it up.
kj
Your Welcome I generally buy them and use them. I have less than 5 collector knifes . The rest I use.
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Good knifes and the right price. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Still doing good work.
Keep Near the Cross.
Quick Steel