MADE IN CHINA SCHRADES

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
TexDanm

Re: MADE IN CHINA SCHRADES

Post by TexDanm »

I own a lot of Schrade knives both old and new. My favorites are the older carbon steel knives. To tell you the truth I like the China ones at least as well as I did and do the American made stainless steel Schrades. The thing about this American made versus the China made is simple. If I have a hundred bucks and want a good knife I'll probably go American. If I have 25 dollars and want a good usable pocket knife I'll probably go Chinese. They are not as well made as SOME of the American made knives and the steel is SOMETIMES inferior to the better American made steels but bang for buck they are pretty good buys. I have little trouble getting a shaving sharp edge on the China made old timers. I like to sharpen my knives though so that isn't a big hardship for me.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

TexDanm wrote:I own a lot of Schrade knives both old and new. My favorites are the older carbon steel knives. To tell you the truth I like the China ones at least as well as I did and do the American made stainless steel Schrades. The thing about this American made versus the China made is simple. If I have a hundred bucks and want a good knife I'll probably go American. If I have 25 dollars and want a good usable pocket knife I'll probably go Chinese. They are not as well made as SOME of the American made knives and the steel is SOMETIMES inferior to the better American made steels but bang for buck they are pretty good buys. I have little trouble getting a shaving sharp edge on the China made old timers. I like to sharpen my knives though so that isn't a big hardship for me.

Amen ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is my 2 cents:
When Schrade USA closed in 2004, imitation Schrades from China showed up very quickly. These were exact copies of a number of Schrade USA patterns but not all of them. The quality, especially fit & finish, was poor, or even "bad". Some years later (3-5 ?) the new Schrade knives from China were both copies of original patterns and patterns that were never made by Schrade. The quality of these was better, enough difference to suggest that a different manufacturer was involved.
I bought a few China Schrades last about 2012 and my assessment of quality was "pretty good" but not quite up to Rough Rider level which i think are The Best of all China made traditional style folding knives.
kj
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

The 2015 ones are really Solid. The one I got been great.
Keep Near the Cross.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I wouldn't compare my 12OTT to a Rough Rider. The 12OT was one of the first Taylor Schrades, bought by my grandfather at Southern States for Christmas '06. What's strange is, it hasn't rusted at all, as I thought all Old Timers were high carbon 1095 steel. And it's just laid in a drawer since '07, as it's crap compared to his old USA made 34OT. I was looking over Tractor Supply's site checking availability at the TSC near me, preparing to get the China made Saddleman as a farm beater--they're not even 1095 even, they're a completely different Chinese steel! Apparently, after looking it up, 7Cr17 steel is a stainless steel, which answers my questions why my 12OT hasn't ever had a spot of rust. It's a shame a brand who had an advertising slogan of "If it doesn't rust, it doesn't cut" went stainless Might as well buy the Kershaw Shuffle there, it's cheaper, and of better build. Heck, for $6 more I can get a USA made Case Sodbuster!

If I want a good Chinese made knife that I can buy locally, I'll go Kershaw or Rough Rider. My Rough Rider Barlow can stand toe to toe with any of my vintage USA made knives, and it was only eight bucks.

Hopefully, with news of Smith and Wesson buying out Taylor, more Schrades will be manufactured here.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

If you want a good USA made carbon steel Schrade, get on ebay and buy a good used one. It won't cost you any more than the Chinese made ones and it will serve your needs for years.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

philco wrote:If you want a good USA made carbon steel Schrade, get on ebay and buy a good used one. It won't cost you any more than the Chinese made ones and it will serve your needs for years.
I agree I got another one tonite off the bay. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

philco wrote:If you want a good USA made carbon steel Schrade, get on ebay and buy a good used one. It won't cost you any more than the Chinese made ones and it will serve your needs for years.
You'll be glad to hear, this is what I do normally. I even bought my grandfather an Old Timer USA 33OT Middleman Jackused off Ebay for Father's Day this year because they're not made in America anymore. I did all the cleaning myself, leaving the patina. I just removed the rust and sharpened it. I was curious just to see how bad modern Old Timers are, but for the money, I can get a good used USA made 8OT for less. There's one here on the AAPK store for $10 that even has a locking large blade.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I love my USA and China made ones.
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

My Taylor 8OT in Iron Wood is doing fine.
Keep Near the Cross.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Up until about 4-5 years ago there were lots of Schrade USA knives on ebay, both used and new with box. Now there are only a handful of Schrade USA knives listed at any one time. I think collectors (like myself) snapped them all up and we are keeping them, for now at least.
kj
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

kootenay joe wrote:Up until about 4-5 years ago there were lots of Schrade USA knives on ebay, both used and new with box. Now there are only a handful of Schrade USA knives listed at any one time. I think collectors (like myself) snapped them all up and we are keeping them, for now at least.
kj
Biggest thing I'm seeing is the prices are creeping up not just on USA Old Timers is that Imperial, Rangers and Colonial prices are up also.
Keep Near the Cross.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

USA made knives are now a minority of knives on ebay. Was not this way about 5 or more years ago. People are so happy to see a USA knife they bid for it, even if Colonial, Ranger, etc., ones that rarely got bidding when there were lots of USA knives.
kj
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

kootenay joe wrote:USA made knives are now a minority of knives on ebay. Was not this way about 5 or more years ago. People are so happy to see a USA knife they bid for it, even if Colonial, Ranger, etc., ones that rarely got bidding when there were lots of USA knives.
kj
Yep I,believe you correct.
Keep Near the Cross.
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

I bought a 194OT liner lock Taylor Schrade and after some sharpening, I carry it most of the time. It's not as nice as my USA Schrades but it works just fine for mundane uses. Now I don't have to worry about losing a good knife. :wink:
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Mine is doing Great.
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Carried it all week and it did just fine. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Carried a Schrade China Old Timer 6OT for 5 years still going fine. :D
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Shearer wrote:Carried a Schrade China Old Timer 6OT for 5 years still going fine. :D
::tu::

::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

So far they been good so far.
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

My Taylor 8OT still doing fine.
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

My 8OT by Taylor,been working great .
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Carried it this weekend cut everything I needed this weekend.
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Still doing what it supposed to do. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Had it almost a year.It is still working fine and with it I am happy to say it is solid knife and Tayor doing a good job equal to Rough Rider and maybe even Queen and Case based upon the feed back I am reading hereand other knife forums.
Keep Near the Cross.

Return to “Chinese-made knives”