MADE IN CHINA SCHRADES

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Captain O

Re: MADE IN CHINA SCHRADES

Post by Captain O »

I just pulled out my new Old Timer 15OT "Deerslayer" and looked it over. While the 7Cr17 "High Carbon" (meaning 5% or more carbon) there is always room for debate among knife connoisseurs. The fit and finish are very good. I'll grant that I miss the 1095 Carbon and 440C Stainless steels that were produced and assembled in the US of A, but I have come to appreciate the steels that have been coming out of China. There is a good reason for this, and I'll expound upon it later in this post.

If I ran Taylor Brands LLC I would be using 8Cr13MoV (8% Chromium, 13% Molybdenum, 13% Vanadium alloy content) in all of the Old Timer/Uncle Henry knives. This alloy has properties that are nearly identical to Japanese AUS-8 steel. With proper heat treatment, this alloy can reach a Rockwell hardness of between 58 and 59. It would likely match the edge holding abilities of the older US alloys. That would make it, more or less, "six of one, a half-dozen of another" in the world of knives, wouldn't it?

The current Chinese 7Cr17 "High Carbon" Stainless Steel alloys reach between 56-57 Rc. The Molybdenum and Vanadium content in this steel permits the hunter using these knives to clean and dress an average of two deer before the blade's edge requires re-honing. Generally, no more than a maximum 20 passes (two on each side of the blade for a total of 40) on a Spyderco Tri-Angle "Sharpmaker" will bring the 7Cr17MoV blades back to a razor's edge that will hold for another couple of good-sized deer.

There's a lot to like in the Taylor Brand LLC "Old Timer" and "Uncle Henry" hunting knives. They are well-made and are efficient at their jobs. To top it all off they're priced right. A quality knife that serves well is great. One that leaves money in your bank, is the "icing on the cake".

I, for one, am satisfied with the four knives from Taylor Brands LLC (three "Old Timers and one Smith & Wesson Tanto Boot Knife) that I have purchased.
What better recommendation can I make than by putting my money where my mouth is? Talk is cheap. Actions speak louder than words.

The defense... rests.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

My Ironwood Stockman is doing fine ::tu:: ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Soon I'll have an S&W SWHRT9B (9" dagger) in the 7CR17MoV steel. Contrary to popular belief, it does take and hold an edge. This is smaller than my S&W 11" Tanto dagger and has rubberized quillions that will protect my fingers from running up on the 4.25" cutting edge of the 4.75" blade.

It cost $16.76 shipped to my door. If it breaks, I'm not out a great deal of money. It should stand up to anything for which I should use the blade. :wink: 8) ::sotb::
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

They are made to use. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Carried the Ironwood OT8 for 2 weeks in a row and I had to touch up the Sheepsfoot blade after cutting up 2 recliner boxes.
Keep Near the Cross.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

deltaboy, i enjoy your enthusiastic posts here and in the Rough Rider threads. You are using your knives and your posts inform us how well they are cutting. If there is any doubt left about the quality of knives made in China, your posts help to clear it up.
kj
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

kootenay joe wrote:deltaboy, i enjoy your enthusiastic posts here and in the Rough Rider threads. You are using your knives and your posts inform us how well they are cutting. If there is any doubt left about the quality of knives made in China, your posts help to clear it up.
kj
Your Welcome I generally buy them and use them. I have less than 5 collector knifes . The rest I use.
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Good knifes and the right price. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Still doing good work.
Keep Near the Cross.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

P1010767.JPG
P1010766 (2).JPG
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Quick Steel wrote:P1010767.JPGP1010766 (2).JPG
Nice looking knife .
Keep Near the Cross.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks Delta. This is the first one hand opening China made knife I have purchased. It seems to me to be more than simply a competent using knife. The blade came razor sharp, more importantly while the knife is tight the kinife's opening action is among the slickest I've encountered from anywhere: so smooth and fast it is fun to play with. Cpt. O has already described this knife as being able to process two deer before needing honing. That is more than adequate for my needs. This knife has already become a resident in my EDC pocket.

If I had paid well north of $60 for this Old Timer I would not have been disappointed in its' quality. As it was, I paid $13 plus shipping.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Quick Steel wrote:Thanks Delta. This is the first one hand opening China made knife I have purchased. It seems to me to be more than simply a competent using knife. The blade came razor sharp, more importantly while the knife is tight the kinife's opening action is among the slickest I've encountered from anywhere: so smooth and fast it is fun to play with. Cpt. O has already described this knife as being able to process two deer before needing honing. That is more than adequate for my needs. This knife has already become a resident in my EDC pocket.

If I had paid well north of $60 for this Old Timer I would not have been disappointed in its' quality. As it was, I paid $13 plus shipping.
They are a good buy .
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

My Ironwood Stockman work just fine. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Carried it all week and it just did a fine job.
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Got a Taylor 33OT JACK on clearance at Tractor supply Company for $8:35+ tax! ::tu::

I honed the blades 5 passes on the Lanskey fine crock sticks and it shaves arm hair and makes quiet cuts on newspaper!
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I carried it the other day and it fit and finish is as good as my USA 330T. I being won over by SS blades! ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

My 2 a uncle Henry lb8 and old timer 7OT , both of these came very sharp out of the box and fit n Finnish is good,both rock solid build ,and solid if not a tad stiff lock but ok, no blade play up and down and left to right ,and the sheaths are very well made ::tu:: I'm very happy with them,one day ill try and pick up old lb7 so I can compare them side by side ::tu::
Attachments
2017-08-04 09.19.34.jpg
2017-07-25 11.41.22.jpg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Going to try and get another one next payday!.
Keep Near the Cross.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

I'm thinking about getting a Imperial schrade congress as looks nice ::tu::
Paul,

deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

They are better made than in the beginning!
Keep Near the Cross.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Thanks deltaboy ::tu:: I've ordered a imperial shrade congress should be at mine tomorrow, I'll post pics when I get it and my thoughts,has anyone got the Shrade 124UH uncle henry tradesman ? Looks nice ::hmm::
Paul,

deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

They are pretty good looking. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Should have the imperial schrade Amber swirl congress today, I'll share pics and thoughts when it arrives ::tu::
Paul,

deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I was given a Buffalo bone Serpentine Stockman by Taylor that lights out nice!
Keep Near the Cross.

Return to “Chinese-made knives”