the TEK X

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
wazu013

Re: the TEK X

Post by wazu013 »

I wonder what the prices will be. The Micarta and Carbon fiber knives look interesting. I know that Case used smooth Carbon fiber for a Sod buster and Wesson hdwre had it priced over $70. The Tec X knife would be nice if it was made in Bradford but then it would be well over 100 bucks, which I would pay. Plus I wonder how they tested their steel to come up with AUS 8? Isn't that a Japanese steel? I paid more $200 for an Emerson tactical but it's built like a brick shiz house with 154CM steel and G10 epoxy/glass laminate scales. I just can't bring myself to spend more than 20 bucks on a China knife and then it's going to get tossed in my tool or tackle box.
wazu013
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
chautauqua

Post by chautauqua »

wow after looking at there models on line i am even more unimpressed with there decision making,looks like maybe case is going to buy there knives in lots off late nite tv and pedal them at flea mkts,how many do u think they will actually pay there employess to fix these when they will only have a buck or less in each of them
my avatar is what happened the last time someone tried to sell me a bogus knife
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

chautauqua wrote:wow after looking at there models on line i am even more unimpressed with there decision making,looks like maybe case is going to buy there knives in lots off late nite tv and pedal them at flea mkts,how many do u think they will actually pay there employess to fix these when they will only have a buck or less in each of them
I think they will toss them and send a new one out ::td::
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
lxplumm

Post by lxplumm »

OK, here's the point. For as long as I can remember, Case's marketing strategy has been to convince us that we should buy their products because they are made {'hand crafted') by Americans (living in America). 'A Case for America' and 'Buy Local' were the slogans they used to make you feel almost unpatriotic if you didn't buy a Case. Now it seems that 'patriotism' is really important only when it suits their purposes. Like many other devoted case collectors, I feel like I have been had.
Lane
vieu101

Post by vieu101 »

here they are some of this crap is up to 50 bux
http://amersonfarms.com/case-pocket-kni ... 7_384.html
chautauqua

Post by chautauqua »

pretty funny they are running there usa homecoming campaign with tony bose the same time they are pushing chinese made knives whatta crock
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

It's all about selling knives and the company making money. If a U.S.A. cutlery company wants to keep a knife around the $20 range, they have to import them or use lower quality material to build them. When a guy is walking around in X-Mart and sees a Rough Rider or American Classic knife for $12 or $15 then, he sees a Case for only a few dollars more, he associates Case with quality and thinks he's getting the best knife for his dollar even though the Case knife is China made. Almost all of them are doing it, Case, Buck, now the German Bokers (and I don't mean the Boker Plus or Magnum lines). Yes, German Boker stamped knives now have their parts imported from Asia and assembled in Germany. Look at it from a different angle. When Case, Queen, GEC or any other well known quality U.S.A. cutlery company that's known for their quality, builds a knife with ATS-34 stainless steel, it's imported (Japan), stag handles, imported (India), bone handles, imported (Brazil). What are you buying on the knife that is American made? The liners, bolsters, and pins? They are just assembled here in the U.S.A. I'm not saying the knives aren't quality made, just that those parts are imported. Other cutlery companies jumped on the band wagon and did it too but for the lower price, and with that lower price came lower quality. Lower labor costs very soon followed lower materials costs. Now it's dog eat dog to get the customer's dollar. What are the U.S.A. companies going to do, bite the bullet and close or try to compete for the around $20 range knives and stay open? When the economy is good people will buy a higher priced knife but when it's down and stays down like it has, people are going to pinch pennies and cut corners on what they buy. And you have to remember, knife collectors make up a small part of the knife buying public. Do I like it that Case, Buck, Boker and others has started importing from China? No! Do I want to see Case or any other U.S.A. cutlery company close? No! I'll keep pinching my pennies and putting some back until I have enough to buy their U.S.A. made line of knives.

Aimus
xstuntman

Post by xstuntman »

I looked through those knives and can honestly say there's nothing that really stands out.
Pass for me and I think a fail for Case.
My retirement shall consist of carbon steel, cheese, and crackers.
popedandy

Post by popedandy »

I am not enthused about any of the Tec-X offerings, but I can understand why Case is doing it. There are a lot of folks who want a cheap knife and they don't care where it is made. Many companies have offerings aimed at that part of the market. In addition, I don't think demand for the tradtional knives that are Case's mainstay is nearly as strong as the demand for "modern" folders. I think Case is just trying to stay in business and stay profitable by addressing a significant market demand. I can't fault them for that. Do I like it? No. Do I think it is an intelligent move? I'm not sure, but I can understand why they did it.
lxplumm

Post by lxplumm »

I see that Case is seeking dealers for Tec-X knives outside of their regular network. Do you think it is because their own dealers aren't selling enough of them, or because they are trying to further distance the brand from Case?
Lane
chautauqua

Post by chautauqua »

its because many of the dealers are passing on the importunity to sell another glorious cheap line of asian knives smkw might not sell them,and as far as them not being able to make them here is bull,there is almost no skilled labor required to assemble those type of knives, just take the machine made parts and screw them together i could see them not be able to do it here if there knives were selling for $5 but they are all in the $20-50 range,so they are just being greedy,furthermore the idea of them selling competitively in x mart is out also as most of the lines similar allready on there racks are half that price if your shopping at x mart for a knife your gonna buy the cheaper one
lxplumm

Post by lxplumm »

I would say that a lot of the Case dealers are passing on the opportunity to sell the Tec-X. While Case has over 2000 stores that handle their knives, the Tec-X website lists only 63 (maybe a half a dozen with an on-line presence). That's about 3%. I'm guessing that the Case retailers are a lot smarter than Case, or should I say Zippo, and don't want anything to do with these knives.
Lane
lxplumm

Post by lxplumm »

I see the Tec X web page is missing. Anyone have any idea what is going on? Case's website still has the link, but it will not take you anywhere. http://www.wrcase.com/index_en.php
Lane
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

I held one in hand today, I liked the way it felt. Thumb stud worked fine. The blade opened smoothly. It locked up tight.no play in the blade. Actually the best Chinese knife I ever held. But I dont buy Chinese knives. If you are one that does buy Chinese knives. Then go for it

Monte
lxplumm

Post by lxplumm »

lxplumm wrote:I see the Tec X web page is missing. Anyone have any idea what is going on? Case's website still has the link, but it will not take you anywhere. http://www.wrcase.com/index_en.php
Ops! I guess it's back (kinda').
Lane

Return to “Chinese-made knives”